Is it ever too late to pursue a career in physics?

• Thread starter AstroEmma
  • Start date
In summary, it is never too late to pursue a career in physics. While many may think that this field is only for young minds, the reality is that there is no age limit for learning and excelling in physics. With dedication, hard work, and a passion for the subject, anyone can pursue a career in physics at any stage in their life. It may require additional effort to catch up on foundational knowledge, but the rewards of a fulfilling career in physics are worth it. Many successful physicists have started their journey later in life, proving that it is never too late to follow your dreams and pursue a career in this fascinating field.
AstroEmma
Hi everyone! I've been a lurker for a while and finally decided to join and say hi.

Quick and dirty bio info: I have a BA in Poli Sci and briefly attended law school at mom's prompting, but dropped out because I hated it. Working at a bank now, bored out of my mind most of the time. I've always been interested in physics but didn't have much in the way of support or role models when I was younger, so I bounced around a lot, and after a decade of working in corporate America have finally decided to go for it.

Just getting started over with undergrad classes, with grad school as an eventual goal (I've read everything I could find on it and will probably be doing just the math/physics classes since I'm in CA and doing a full second bachelors isn't really possible, but I'm near UCSD and as far as I'm aware can take everything as a non-degree student, with the big challenge of course being getting research). I'm also fortunate enough to have sort of a mentor this time around. I'm in my early 30s and aware this will be a long haul, but I don't plan to have kids, so I'm all in.

Very happy to have found PF!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF AstroEmma!

Likes AstroEmma
Hi. Good to see you here. It's never too late to begin. More correctly it's never too late to change. This is the case with me and I'm shifting from pure power electronics research and development to physics in same context.

Likes NascentOxygen