Is Christianity allowed on the Forums?

• Thread starter researcher_josh23
  • Start date
In summary: However, if you are looking to discuss your religious viewpoint with other forum members, that is perfectly acceptable.
researcher_josh23
Hi, I'm new here, so I just wanted to ask this question to clarify.

As a Christian, my worldview affects how I interpret science, and so am I allowed to state my opinion about something from a Christian standpoint?

I realize that politics and religion are usually avoided on any type of forum, but when it comes to a scientific principle/problem/etc., can I offer my opinion coming from a Christian standpoint?
I wanted to ask this before I possibly get kicked off the forums..
Thank you,

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
MrJoshie333 said:
Hi, I'm new here, so I just wanted to ask this question to clarify.

As a Christian, my worldview affects how I interpret science, and so am I allowed to state my opinion about something from a Christian standpoint?
Just to the extend that it coincides with mainstream science how it is taught worldwide at universities.
I realize that politics and religion are usually avoided on any type of forum, ...
Yes, on ours as well and as for good reasons.
... but when it comes to a scientific principle/problem/etc., can I offer my opinion coming from a Christian standpoint?
I'm afraid no, as there is only a scientific standpoint. There is no such thing as a Christian standpoint: either it is scientific supported by evidence and according publications, or it is no standpoint at all.
I wanted to ask this before I possibly get kicked off the forums..
Thank you,

Josh
From the rules and terms:

Non-mainstream theories:
Generally, in the forums we do not allow the following:
  • Discussion of theories that appear only on personal web sites, self-published books, etc.
  • Challenges to mainstream theories (relativity, the Big Bang, etc.) that go beyond current professional discussion
  • Attempts to promote or resuscitate theories that have been discredited or superseded (e.g. Lorentz ether theory); this does not exclude discussion of those theories in a purely historical context
  • Personal theories or speculations that go beyond or counter to generally-accepted science
  • Mixing science and religion, e.g. using religious doctrines in support of scientific arguments or vice versa.
  • Philosophical discussions are permitted only at the discretion of the mentors and may be deleted or closed without warning or appeal

Likes weirdoguy, BillTre, Evo and 10 others
MrJoshie333 said:
Welcome to PF.

While it is difficult to know what exactly you mean by that - different people practice their religions differently - the basic answer is this: on Physics Forums we discuss science from a scientific point of view and the idea of discussing science from a religious point of view sounds to me like a contradiction in terms. So if you are really looking for a yes or no answer to your question, the answer is almost certainly no.

Likes BillTre, Evo, m4r35n357 and 1 other person

1. What is the policy on discussing Christianity on the forums?

The policy on discussing Christianity on the forums is that it is allowed as long as it is done in a respectful and non-proselytizing manner. This means that members are free to share their beliefs and engage in discussions about Christianity, but they should not try to convert or persuade others to adopt their beliefs.

2. Can I share my personal experiences with Christianity on the forums?

Yes, you can share your personal experiences with Christianity on the forums as long as it is relevant to the discussion and respectful of others' beliefs. However, please be mindful of not imposing your beliefs on others or making claims that may be offensive or controversial.

3. Are there any specific rules or guidelines for discussing Christianity on the forums?

While there are no specific rules or guidelines for discussing Christianity on the forums, we encourage members to be respectful, open-minded, and tolerant of different beliefs. Please refrain from making derogatory or inflammatory remarks about Christianity or any other religion.

4. Can I post links to Christian websites or resources on the forums?

Yes, you can post links to Christian websites or resources on the forums as long as they are relevant to the discussion and do not violate any of our community guidelines. However, please avoid spamming or promoting your own website or resources excessively.

5. What should I do if I encounter disrespectful or offensive discussions about Christianity on the forums?

If you encounter disrespectful or offensive discussions about Christianity on the forums, please report it to the moderators. We strive to maintain a welcoming and inclusive community, and any form of discrimination or hate speech will not be tolerated. We will take appropriate action to address the issue and ensure a respectful discussion environment for all members.