Is a Vertical Line the Correct Depiction for this Equation?

In summary: Is this correct? Are there any other points I should add?In summary, the conversation discusses a self-published paper on the relationship between two mathematical equations. The paper argues that the equations cannot be rearranged without fundamentally changing the equality due to division by zero. However, the counter argument suggests that if the range of allowed values for the variable is considered, the equations can be rearranged. The conversation also touches on the graphing of the equations and the existence of a vertical line for one of them. Ultimately, there is a disagreement on the validity of the counter argument and its implications for the equations.
NATE MATE
Recently, after work beers with a colleague went down a bit of rabbit hole as he attempted to "red pill" me on a couple of topics. One of those happen to relate to the below self-published paper, which was written by someone he went to college with:

https://www.slideshare.net/MrIndererminate/indeterminate-is-not-synonymous-with-undefined

It seems rather compelling on first read, but acknowledging that it is above my paygrade, I decided to search the internet to see if counter arguments had been made, which led me to a thread on this forum, where the paper had been mentioned:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/graphing-a-strange-equation.912296/

To ensure I can convey the pro-hole argument effectively, I'm just going to lay out my simple version of it below:

Equality A [ y = (x^2-1)/(x-1) ] cannot be rearranged into Equality B [ y (x-1)=(x^2-1) ] ,as this would involve division by zero.

It is true that graphing B on a cartesian plane will result in a vertical line. However, this does not mean that a vertical line should be depicted when graphing A, as it cannot be rearranged into B without fundamentally changing the equality.

For A, when x=1 y=0/0. Thus hole at co-ordinate (1,2) is the appropriate depiction for A, as all division by zero is undefined.

Is this correct? Are there any other points I should add?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
NATE MATE said:
Equality A [ y = (x^2-1)/(x-1) ] cannot be rearranged into Equality B [ y (x-1)=(x^2-1) ] ,as this would involve division by zero.
It can, if the range of allowed values for ##x## is considered. In detail we have:
$$
A \Longrightarrow B \stackrel{x\neq 1}{\Longrightarrow} A
$$
##A## has implicitly given that ##x\neq 1## (otherwise the quotient makes no sense), whereas ##B## has not. So in order to get back from ##B## to ##A##, ##x\neq 1## has to be added.
It is true that graphing B on a cartesian plane will result in a vertical line.
No.
upload_2019-3-16_4-42-54.png

However, this does not mean that a vertical line should be depicted when graphing A, as it cannot be rearranged into B without fundamentally changing the equality.
The only difference is, that ##A## has a gap at ##x=1## where it is not defined.
upload_2019-3-16_4-50-55.png

For A, when x=1 y=0/0. Thus hole at co-ordinate (1,2) is the appropriate depiction for A, as all division by zero is undefined.

Is this correct? Are there any other points I should add?
Yes, this is correct, only that the line isn't vertical, more diagonal.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-16_4-42-32.png
    upload_2019-3-16_4-42-32.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 215
  • upload_2019-3-16_4-42-54.png
    upload_2019-3-16_4-42-54.png
    657 bytes · Views: 418
  • upload_2019-3-16_4-50-55.png
    upload_2019-3-16_4-50-55.png
    692 bytes · Views: 436
Equality B absolutely has a vertical line!

It can be graphed on a cartesian plane, by inserting values in for y and then solving for x:

For instance, if y=3 then:

3(x-1)=x2-1

3x-3=x2-1

3x=x2-1+3

3x=x2+2

0=x2-3x+2

0=(x-1)(x-2)

Thus x = 1 or 2 and so the co-ordinates (1,3) and (2,3) are plotted

Repeat this with different values for y and a vertical line in the graph where x=1 will be apparent.

Mr Indeterminate said:
Equality B absolutely has a vertical line!

It can be graphed on a cartesian plane, by inserting values in for y and then solving for x:

For instance, if y=3 then:

3(x-1)=x2-1

3x-3=x2-1

3x=x2-1+3

3x=x2+2

0=x2-3x+2

0=(x-1)(x-2)

Thus x = 1 or 2 and so the co-ordinates (1,3) and (2,3) are plotted

Repeat this with different values for y and a vertical line in the graph where x=1 will be apparent.
This is completely wrong.

##B## reads ##0=0## for ##x=1##, which doesn't give us anything. For ##x\neq 1## equation ##B## is equivalent to ##y=x+1##. So unless you do not introduce another coordinate system, the usual graph is ##\{\,(x,y)\,|\,y=x+1\,\}## which is the line in the image above. It is diagonal and shifted by one up. This is not vertical.

fresh_42 said:
This is completely wrong.

##B## reads ##0=0## for ##x=1##, which doesn't give us anything. For ##x\neq 1## equation ##B## is equivalent to ##y=x+1##. So unless you do not introduce another coordinate system, the usual graph is ##\{\,(x,y)\,|\,y=x+1\,\}## which is the line in the image above. It is diagonal and shifted by one up. This is not vertical.

Is the method of inserting values for y to determine x not a valid method of graphing equations?

I would read https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/graphing-a-strange-equation.912296/ before you answer that. Numerous senior forum members have agreed in the past that B does indeed have a vertical line (It has never been said that the graph is solely composed of vertical line).

O.k., the solution ##x=1## is valid, too, as ##B## is a tautology in this case. So you are right, the graph of solutions is
upload_2019-3-17_0-12-0.png

Sorry.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-17_0-12-0.png
    upload_2019-3-17_0-12-0.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 423
Alright now that we are on the same page on that one. I'm going to come out and say that I don't agree with NATE MATE's argument.

For equation B, if x=1 then y= 1 or 2 or 3 or -4 or 0.34928 or -200 ... basically its any number. Merriam-Webster defines indeterminate as "Having an infinite number of solutions". Thus, I'm inclined to conclude that for equation B if x=1 then y=Indeterminate.

If ##x=1## then ##\forall\, y\, : \,y(x-1)=x^2-1##. I don't think we can call ##y## indeterminate. ##y## cannot be determined, yes, but the reason is, that ##y## is simply not part of the statement anymore, since ##y\cdot (1-1) =0## and ##B## is reduced to ##x=1\,\wedge \,0=0## as part of the assumption to ##B## in this special case. It's somehow as if we said, that ##z## is indeterminate. So without an occurrence, can you attribute an adjective? The statement ##B## is probably better called a tautology and ##y## cannot be referenced anymore.

If ##x\neq 1## then ##y=x+1## and ##y## is determined.

So ##B## determines ##y## in some cases, and does not determine ##y## in another case. But that doesn't make ##y## indeterminant, since it vanished!

Mr Indeterminate said:
Is the method of inserting values for y to determine x not a valid method of graphing equations?

I would read https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/graphing-a-strange-equation.912296/ before you answer that. Numerous senior forum members have agreed in the past that B does indeed have a vertical line (It has never been said that the graph is solely composed of vertical line).

The formula ##f(x) = (x^2-1)/(x-1)## defines a valid mathematical object only if ##x \neq 1##. It describes a perfectly well-defined mathematical function on the open domain ##(-\infty, 1) \cup (1, \infty),## which is the real line with the value ##x=1## missing. Of course, on that domain we have the simpler version ##f(x) = x+1##, and that form can be extended to the whole line, including the point ##x=1##.

If you want to plot a graph of ##y = f(x)## by choosing ##y## and then solving for ##x## you will find that the value ##y=2## is missing: there is no solution of the equation ##2 = (x^2-1)/(x-1)##. Of course, there is a solution of ##2 = x+1##, but that is a different problem for a different function.

I think one needs to be careful to distinguish between "no solution" and "non-unique solution = vertical line". To a certain extent, we can argue that it is a matter of taste: I prefer to go along with standard mathematics that regards---for excellent reasons--- division by zero to be always disallowed. Others, who may have a more informal and flexible set of mathematical rules, will regard something like 0/0 to be whatever they want.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
The formula ##f(x) = (x^2-1)/(x-1)## defines a valid mathematical object only if ##x \neq 1##. It describes a perfectly well-defined mathematical function on the open domain ##(-\infty, 1) \cup (1, \infty),## which is the real line with the value ##x=1## missing. Of course, on that domain we have the simpler version ##f(x) = x+1##, and that form can be extended to the whole line, including the point ##x=1##.

If you want to plot a graph of ##y = f(x)## by choosing ##y## and then solving for ##x## you will find that the value ##y=2## is missing: there is no solution of the equation ##2 = (x^2-1)/(x-1)##. Of course, there is a solution of ##2 = x+1##, but that is a different problem for a different function.

I think one needs to be careful to distinguish between "no solution" and "non-unique solution = vertical line". To a certain extent, we can argue that it is a matter of taste: I prefer to go along with standard mathematics that regards---for excellent reasons--- division by zero to be always disallowed. Others, who may have a more informal and flexible set of mathematical rules, will regard something like 0/0 to be whatever they want.

So with equation A ##y=(x^2-1)/(x-1)## you say a hole is the appropriate depiction.

Do you agree that equation B ##y(x-1)=(x^2-1)## has a vertical line?

Mr Indeterminate said:
So with equation A ##y=(x^2-1)/(x-1)## you say a hole is the appropriate depiction.

Do you agree that equation B ##y(x-1)=(x^2-1)## has a vertical line?
That does not really matter, since that is for a different problem. When trying to go from A to B you are essentially saying that when you write
$$(x-1)y = \frac{x^2-1}{x-1} (x-1) \hspace{4ex}(1)$$
you want to cancel the ##(x-1)##s in the numerator and denominator on the right and so be left with just ##x^2-1##. That cancellation is valid for all ##x \neq 1##, but when ##x=1## it is pulling the old ##0/0 = 1## trick, which is invalid for main-stream mathematics.

Ray Vickson said:
That does not really matter, since that is for a different problem. When trying to go from A to B you are essentially saying that when you write
$$(x-1)y = \frac{x^2-1}{x-1} (x-1) \hspace{4ex}(1)$$
you want to cancel the ##(x-1)##s in the numerator and denominator on the right and so be left with just ##x^2-1##. That cancellation is valid for all ##x \neq 1##, but when ##x=1## it is pulling the old ##0/0 = 1## trick, which is invalid for main-stream mathematics.

Ok, so what your saying is that equation A cannot be rearranged into equation B.

However, if you were just to start with equation B, would it be depicted with a vertical line?

Mr Indeterminate said:
Ok, so what your saying is that equation A cannot be rearranged into equation B.
I don't think that's what Ray Vickson was saying. Starting with equation A, ##y = \frac{x^2 - 1}{x - 1}##, you can get to equation B by multiplying both sides by x - 1. However, equation A is undefined if x = 1, so 1 is not in the domain of the function represented by this equation. As already noted, the graph of equation A is a a line with slope 1 and y intercept at (0, 1), but with a removable discontinuity at (1, 2).

Mr Indeterminate said:
However, if you were just to start with equation B, would it be depicted with a vertical line?
The graph of equation B would be two intersecting straight lines.
If x = 1, the equation simplifies to ##y \cdot 0 = 0##, which is true frue for all real y. If ##x \ne 1##: the equation simplifies to y = x + 1, as is shown in post #6.

Clearly the graphs are different, which means that the two equations aren't equivalent.

There's really not any more to be said, so I'm closing this thread.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. Is a vertical line always the correct depiction for an equation?

No, a vertical line is not always the correct depiction for an equation. It depends on the variables and constants present in the equation.

2. What does a vertical line represent in an equation?

A vertical line represents a relationship between two variables where one variable remains constant while the other variable changes.

3. How can I determine if a vertical line is the correct depiction for a specific equation?

You can determine if a vertical line is the correct depiction for a specific equation by looking at the variables and constants present in the equation. If one variable remains constant while the other variable changes, then a vertical line is the correct depiction.

4. Can an equation have both a horizontal and vertical line as its depiction?

Yes, an equation can have both a horizontal and vertical line as its depiction. This occurs when there are two variables present in the equation and both variables change simultaneously.

5. Are there any exceptions to using a vertical line as the depiction for an equation?

Yes, there are exceptions to using a vertical line as the depiction for an equation. In some cases, a vertical line may not accurately represent the relationship between the variables in the equation. It is important to carefully analyze the equation before determining the correct depiction.