Is a High GPA in an Easier Degree or a Lower GPA in a Harder Degree More Valuable?

• Programs
  • Thread starter ljfe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary: So there is some flexibility there.In summary, the engineer with a engineering degree will have a higher chance of getting a good job, and the engineer with a engineering technician degree will have some flexibility in their job prospects.
ljfe
Just curious of your opinion: achieving a 4.0 at an easier degree like engineering tech. or doing poor in a math based degree like engineering

I'm still pretty set on engineering technology and I know my GPA will drop, but I would like to know your opinion from employer perspective. Also I'm unsure what pace I should take classes--try to keep my GPA up or not

Physics news on Phys.org
ljfe said:
Just curious of your opinion: achieving a 4.0 at an easier degree like engineering tech. or doing poor in a math based degree like engineering

I'm still pretty set on engineering technology and I know my GPA will drop, but I would like to know your opinion from employer perspective. Also I'm unsure what pace I should take classes--try to keep my GPA up or not
Don't know where you're at in terms location, but in the US engineering tech majors generally work as technicians while engineers work as engineers. Which did you want to do?

If you want to work as an engineer, you should get an engineering degree. If you want to work as a technician, you should get an engineering technician degree, or some kind of vocational training.

Manage your GPA by working hard, not by picking an easier major.

Likes billy_joule and Choppy
One of the issues with picking a major that you think will lead to an easy GPA is that it can backfire. I've witnessed this happen quite often with specific classes - students take something because they think it's going to be an easy A only to find out it's one of the more challenging classes out there and made more so by the fact that they have no particular interest in the subject. On the other hand, if you struggle with something you enjoy, at least you'll enjoy the time doing it.

Make your decisions based on the education you want to receive, the skills that you want to develop and perhaps the profession you would like to enter.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Speaking as someone who has been in both types of programs, and having to mentor junior engineers from both programs, I suggest you consider moving into the engineering degree vs staying with your Engineering Technology degree. The engineering degree will be quite a bit more difficult, but your basic education will be much deeper. And if you ever want to pursue a professional engineering license, you will be able to do so in half the time and have a much higher probability of passing.
However, a previous company I worked for made no real distinction between the two engineering majors (I was in the engineering department of a large Electrical company).

Related to Is a High GPA in an Easier Degree or a Lower GPA in a Harder Degree More Valuable?

1. What is considered a "4.0 or harder major"?

A "4.0 or harder major" refers to a college major that is known for being particularly challenging, often requiring a high level of analytical thinking, problem-solving skills, and dedication. Examples of such majors include engineering, mathematics, physics, and computer science.

2. Is it necessary to have a 4.0 GPA in a "4.0 or harder major" to be successful in the field?

No, having a 4.0 GPA is not a requirement for success in a "4.0 or harder major." While having a high GPA can certainly be beneficial, it is not the only factor that determines one's success in a field. Other important factors include practical skills, experience, and networking.

3. Are "4.0 or harder majors" only for students who are naturally gifted in math and science?

No, anyone can excel in a "4.0 or harder major" with dedication and hard work. While some students may have a natural aptitude for math and science, success in these majors ultimately depends on a strong work ethic and a willingness to learn and improve.

4. What are some tips for maintaining a high GPA in a "4.0 or harder major"?

Some tips for maintaining a high GPA in a "4.0 or harder major" include attending all classes and taking thorough notes, actively participating in class discussions, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and staying organized with assignments and study schedules.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a "4.0 or harder major"?

Pursuing a "4.0 or harder major" can offer numerous benefits, such as developing critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and analytical reasoning. These majors also often lead to high-paying and in-demand careers in industries such as technology, engineering, and finance.