Perspectives with an almost-completed BSc. Physics

In summary, the author dropped out of their physics degree a year ago, and during the pandemic, followed 7 courses. They had good grades, but because of the disruption, they decided to return home with 72/90 credits. They are worried about how their studies will be valued, and if they can pursue their degree in absentia.
yezia
Hello everyone!

As I was saying in my presentation post, I dropped out of my physics degree very close to graduation - a year ago. I will firstly explain the whole context of my studies/abandon and then provide some of the perspectives I thought about.

As an international student in Canada, the pandemic hurt me really bad with everything turning "remote" since I had 0 loved ones near me, and the only friend I made in my city left university.
Before and at the start of it, I was acing every single class with a 4.2/4.3 GPA (60/90 credits : 2 classical mechanics covering Newton laws to hamiltonian dynamics, 2 quantum mechanics courses covering the postulates to perturbation theory, 2 statistical physics courses covering thermodynamics to quantum gases, 1 special relativity course, 2 labs courses, 1 fluid mechanics course, 2 theoretical physics courses covering among others complex analysis and special functions, 2 computer science courses, 1 electromagnetism course, 2 waves/optics courses, 3 maths courses and some misc. courses).
Thanks to my curriculum, the director of the department authorised me to register for coop terms (it was not authorised for internationals in my department before me). Thus, I also managed to work as a research assistant (35 hours per week for 14 weeks) for 2 non-credited terms and the work I realized was embodied by 2 submitted papers to PRL and PRB (second author).
During the pandemic, I followed 7 courses : analytical mechanics, quantum gases, advanced and graduate-level quantum mechanics, introduction to research, stochastic process, advanced computational physics, advanced electromagnetism. I dropped out of one (W grade which affects my GPA) and had medium to excellent grades for the rest (3 A+, 2 A-, a B-, and a "Passed" grade). Because I thought I would do even worse, and because my mental health was in serious danger, I decided to return home with 72/90 credits - 3.95/4.3 GPA and 2 research internships.

From now on, I clearly cannot pursue my degree in Canada : my study permit is not valid anymore and my family cannot prove the minimun amount of money to complete my degree. Actually, the 2 internships I made financially helped them a lot. I always believed I would find some kind of scholarship entirely covering the pursuit of my studies (anywhere in the world as long as it was not my home country which is one of the poorest in the world; I am an african/russian binational and I unfortunately never lived in Russia) but I did not expect all these hurdles.
Now here are some perspectives/questions I managed to formulate :
1/ Do you think I could be admitted - maybe with some kind of pre-master term - into a Master degree (definetely not in Canada which is too expensive for the moment) with my current curriculum ? If so, what about scholarships ? I've heard about "recognition of prior learning" but is my experience really valuable ?
2/ I've read France accepts students at each level (Bachelor 1st year, Bachelor 2nd year, Bachelor 3rd year, Master 1st year, etc.). Germany too but I don't speak the language.
3/ I could go in Russia since I have the nationality and speak the language; the universities there are pretty good. But I would lose two years there because conscription to the military service is mandatory for russians of my age.
4/ I developped some serious skills regarding computational physics during my internships; do you think I can find work in a branch of data analysis/programming - outside my country of course ? I seriously doubt so with my level, but I would be able to gain some money to pursue my studies. What do you think are some works I could apply to ? Probably none, I know.
5/ The money question still prevailing, working in my home country is out of the question (it's pretty much a dictatorship, and people graduating in pure science end up riding taxis). I have to act fast, I'm not exactly sure after how many years my uncompleted studies still have value.

I know you guys are not soothsayers and I'm therefore not expecting a magic relief fron your answers. But what do you think about all of it and do you have any other suggestions ?

Feel free to ask me for any further detail !

Physics news on Phys.org
yezia said:
Because I thought I would do even worse, and because my mental health was in serious danger, I decided to return home with 72/90 credits - 3.95/4.3 GPA and 2 research internships.
Thats a tough story but I'm sure not a unique one. The pandemic was disruptive, but you need to act quickly I would guess. Is there anyone at your (former) Canadian institution who might help you sort through this? Finish your degree in absentia somehow? At least provide guidance? See if you can cultivate an ally there either through the department or the Dean..

Likes vanhees71, yezia and berkeman
yezia said:
I clearly cannot pursue my degree in Canada : my study permit is not valid anymore
Are they not making any exceptions/extensions due to the Pandemic? Have you checked this?

Likes vanhees71, yezia and hutchphd
I could go in Russia since I have the nationality and speak the language; the universities there are pretty good. But I would lose two years there because conscription to the military service is mandatory for russians of my age.

I would strongly advise against anything that involves being conscripted into the Russian army given the current tensions with Ukraine right now, unless you feel an abundance of patriotism for the nation.

Likes gwnorth and berkeman
hutchphd said:
Is there anyone at your (former) Canadian institution who might help you sort through this? Finish your degree in absentia somehow? At least provide guidance? See if you can cultivate an ally there either through the department or the Dean..
I really tried hard to find allies there. Almost all of them coldly answered me "Good luck".
The dept. coordinator told me I could follow a Student Exchange Program for my last courses. But that really does not solve the problem :
- you still have to be enrolled at the university (pay the same amount of tuition fees at your home university + living expenses overseas pretty much gather to the same total amount)
- for enrollment you still have to hold a valid study permit

berkeman said:
Are they not making any exceptions/extensions due to the Pandemic? Have you checked this?
They did but for those affected at the very start of it (2020). Back in summer 2020, I think some students could have had their study permit automatically extended for a short period if they did not graduate at time and the pandemic was responsible.
Now, there are only some additions regarding distance learning : you still have to get a study permit but it's not that dramatic if you can't come on the territory/the university has fully turned remote. That does not really apply to me since labs courses/mid-terms/finals are in presence since fall 2020.
But I will check the government's website again.

Office_Shredder said:
I would strongly advise against anything that involves being conscripted into the Russian army given the current tensions with Ukraine right now, unless you feel an abundance of patriotism for the nation.
Well I'm clearly proud of my russian origins and all the great accomplishments Russia/USSR made towards Science/Arts but I'm not patriot enough to go make war for them ahah
You actually made a good point.Thank you for all your answers people !

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and hutchphd

1. What career options are available with a BSc. in Physics?

With a BSc. in Physics, there are various career options available in fields such as research, engineering, teaching, data analysis, and more. Graduates can also pursue further education in areas like astrophysics, biophysics, or nuclear physics.

2. What skills will I gain from a BSc. in Physics?

A BSc. in Physics will equip you with a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills, critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. You will also develop skills in experimental design, computer programming, and communication.

3. Is a BSc. in Physics a challenging degree?

Yes, a BSc. in Physics can be challenging as it involves complex mathematical concepts and theories. However, with dedication and hard work, it is a rewarding degree that opens up many opportunities in the field of science and technology.

4. Can I pursue a BSc. in Physics if I don't have a strong background in math?

While a strong foundation in math is helpful for studying physics, it is not a requirement. With determination and effort, anyone can excel in a BSc. in Physics program, regardless of their previous math experience.

5. What research opportunities are available for students in a BSc. in Physics program?

There are various research opportunities available for students in a BSc. in Physics program, both within the university and through internships or summer programs. Students can work on research projects in areas such as astrophysics, particle physics, or materials science, among others.