Integration of delta function over two variables

In summary: Actually, the delta identity is$$ \delta(y^2 - a^2) = \frac{1}{2|a|} (\delta(y+a) + \delta (y-a))$$which is just the sum of the two integrals. Actually, the delta identity is$$ \delta(y^2 - a^2) = \frac{1}{2|a|} (\delta(y+a) + \delta (y-a))$$which is just the sum of the two integrals.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

I have
##\int dx \int dy \delta (x^{2}+y^{2}-E) ## [1]

I have only seen expressions integrating over ##\delta## where the ##x## or the ##y## appear seperately as well as in the delta function and so you can just replace e.g ##y^2 = - x^{2} +E## then integrate over ##\int dy ##, ##\int dx ##.

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to do this, here is my working so far:

##x^{2}=E-y^{2} ##

=>

## 2x dx = E - 2y dy ##
## 2(E-y^{2})^{1/2} dx = E-2y dy ##
## dx = \frac{E}{ 2(E-y^{2})^{1/2}} - \frac{y}{ (E-y^{2})^{1/2}} dy ##
## dx = \frac{E}{ 2(E-y^{2})^{1/2}} - (E-y^{2})^{1/2} ##

So can this step in affect replace the integrating over ##x## part of the delta function, to replace ##dx## so that

[1] reduces to ## \int dy \frac{E}{ 2(E-y^{2})^{1/2})} - (E-y^{2})^{1/2} ##

Am i on the right track?

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: forget about the second ##dx## integral for a moment. Just focus on the ##dy## integral, where ##x## is effectively a constant.

PeroK said:
Hint: forget about the second ##dx## integral for a moment. Just focus on the ##dy## integral, where ##x## is effectively a constant.

but i thought this is what i have done by saying replacing##y^{2}=E - x^{2}## , this is the effect of integrating over ##y## treating ##x## as constant ?

binbagsss said:
but i thought this is what i have done by saying replacing##y^{2}=E - x^{2}## , this is the effect of integrating over ##y## treating ##x## as constant ?

If ##E## and ##x## are constants, then settting ##y^2 = E - x^2## effectively sets ##y## as a constant. That makes no sense.

You could try ##u = y^2##. That would be a variable substitution.

PeroK said:
If ##E## and ##x## are constants, then settting ##y^2 = E - x^2## effectively sets ##y## as a constant. That makes no sense.

You could try ##u = y^2##. That would be a variable substitution.

okay I have no idea then if I have ## \int dy y^{2} \delta (y^{2} + k - E)##, the integrating over ##y## part tells me to replace ##y^{2}## with ##E-k##, the ##k## playing the role of treating ##x## as a constant, I thought this is all I have done here by saying this is setting ##y^{2}=E-x^2? ## (I am then stuck because ##y## does not appear elsewhere in the integral as it does here (or x)

could you give more of a hint please? thanks

binbagsss said:
okay I have no idea then if I have ## \int dy y^{2} \delta (y^{2} + k - E)##, the integrating over ##y## part tells me to replace ##y^{2}## with ##E-k##, the ##k## playing the role of treating ##x## as a constant, I thought this is all I have done here by saying this is setting ##y^{2}=E-x^2? ## (I am then stuck because ##y## does not appear elsewhere in the integral as it does here (or x)

could you give more of a hint please? thanks

Is this a definite or an indefinite integral?

PeroK said:
Is this a definite or an indefinite integral?
indefinite

binbagsss said:
indefinite

First, it's not clear what effect having ##y^2## inside the delta function has. So, you can't jump to any conclusions about replacing ##y^2## with whatever.

Second, if you had ##y##, that approach would work for a definite integral. But, for an indefinite integral you'll get a Heaviside function. The question is what happens to the Heaviside function when you have ##y^2##?

binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

I have

I have only seen expressions integrating over ##\delta## where the ##x## or the ##y## appear seperately as well as in the delta function and so you can just replace e.g ##y^2 = - x^{2} +E## then integrate over ##\int dy ##, ##\int dx ##.

Homework Equations

see above

##x^{2}=E-y^{2} ##

=>

## 2x dx = E - 2y dy ##

So can this step in affect replace the integrating over ##x## part of the delta function, to replace ##dx## so that

Am i on the right track?

Many thanks in advance.
You know that for a general function of x, we have

$$ \delta(f(x)) = \frac{\delta(x-x_0)}{|f'(x_0)|} $$ \
where ##x_0## is the zero of the function f(x). This assumes that f(x) has only one zero and that ##f'(x_0)## is not zero. If there are several zeroes, one must add similar terms all all the zeroes.

I found this, which looks useful!

##\delta(y^2 - a^2) = \frac{1}{2|a|} (\delta(y+a) + \delta (y-a))##

PeroK said:
I found this, which looks useful!

##\delta(y^2 - a^2) = \frac{1}{2|a|} (\delta(y+a) + \delta (y-a))##

to define a delta identity don't you have to define it within an integral, so I am guessing this holds over ##dy ## and not ##dy^{2}## ?

nrqed said:
You know that for a general function of x, we have

$$ \delta(f(x)) = \frac{\delta(x-x_0)}{|f'(x_0)|} $$ \
where ##x_0## is the zero of the function f(x). This assumes that f(x) has only one zero and that ##f'(x_0)## is not zero. If there are several zeroes, one must add similar terms all all the zeroes.

how would I approach using this since I have ##\delta (f(x,y))##?

binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

I have

Homework Equations

see above

##x^{2}=E-y^{2} ##

=>

## 2x dx = E - 2y dy ##

Am i on the right track?

Many thanks in advance.

If your integral is over all of 2-D space--or at least, over a region containing a circle of radius ##\sqrt{E}##,centered at the origin--then you can get an answer immediately by switching to polar coordinates: for ##x = r \cos \theta, y = r \sin \theta,## with ##r \geq 0## and ##0 \leq \theta \leq 2 \pi## your integral becomes
$$\int_{r=0}^{\infty} \int_{\theta=0}^{2 \pi} r \delta(r^2 - E) \, dr \, d \theta.$$
We have ##r\, dr = \frac{1}{2} d(r^2)## and ##r \geq 0##, so only the positive square root applies.

Likes binbagsss and PeroK
PeroK said:
First, it's not clear what effect having ##y^2## inside the delta function has. So, you can't jump to any conclusions about replacing ##y^2## with whatever.

Second, if you had ##y##, that approach would work for a definite integral. But, for an indefinite integral you'll get a Heaviside function. The question is what happens to the Heaviside function when you have ##y^2##?

so it is not true that ## \int f(x) \delta (x-y) dx = f(y) ## ? unless I add limits?

Okay, or if I had ##dy^{2}## it would be valid to replace?

I know that the delta function is the derivative of the heaviside function, which is defined to be ##0## if ##x<0## and ##1## if ##x>0## - ##\theta(x)## is.

binbagsss said:
to define a delta identity don't you have to define it within an integral, so I am guessing this holds over ##dy ## and not ##dy^{2}## ?

again I#m unsure how to use this in the case of ##delta (x^{2},y^{2}) ##

binbagsss said:
indefinite
Are you sure? I think generally the integrals are definite integrals from ##-\infty## to ##\infty##. It's just kind of tedious to write the limits in each time, so it's understood that your integrating across all space. Are you sure the integrals in this problem are indefinite integrals?

binbagsss said:

The delta function is tricky, but not that tricky. This is an identity for the delta function, so you can replace one with the other anywhere (including under an integral sign).

However, as others have pointed out, this is probably a definite integral and by far the best approach is to use polar coordinates as suggested in post #13.

binbagsss said:
how would I approach using this since I have ##\delta (f(x,y))##?
treating the ##y## as a constant, say? to obtain a linear expression in just one of the variables , ##x## here, and then this is enough to apply the delta to 'replace' the ##x## ?

binbagsss said:
treating the ##y## as a constant, say? to obtain a linear expression in just one of the variables , ##x## here, and then this is enough to apply the delta to 'replace' the ##x## ?

It's not clear why you are unwilling to consider a normal integration substitution, such as ##u=y^2## to get the integrand into a usable form.

binbagsss said:

What, exactly do you have against the use of polar coordinates in this problem?

Likes PeroK
Ray Vickson said:
What, exactly do you have against the use of polar coordinates in this problem?

mate I don't.
Ive done it that way and got ##\pi##, I am trying to check my understanding of things in general by doing it both ways...

binbagsss said:
mate I don't.
Ive done it that way and got ##\pi##, I am trying to check my understanding of things in general by doing it both ways...

Both the simple substitution ##u = y^2## or, better, the identity I posted in post #10 look easier alternatives. Especially given ##f## has two zeros in this case.

binbagsss said:
mate I don't.

It's easier if you write ##\delta(x^2+y^2-r^2)## instead of ##\delta(x^2+y^2-E)##. So, in the ##r^2## version, if ##|x| < r## you can use the result of Perok in Post #10, to write (for example)
$$\delta(y^2 -(r^2-x^2)) = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{r^2-x^2}} \left[ \delta(y - \sqrt{r^2-x^2}) + \delta(y + \sqrt{r^2-x^2}) \right] $$.
If you are integrating over all of ##\mathbb{R}^2## your ##y##-integration will go through both points ##y = \pm \sqrt{r^2-x^2}##, (when ##|x| < r##) so the ##y##-integration produces
$$y-\text{integral} = \begin{cases} \frac{2}{2 \sqrt{r^2-x^2}},& \text{if} \; -r < x < r \\
0, & \text{if} \; |x| > r
\end{cases}
$$
You should think about why the second case happens.

Now do the ##x##-integration.

Last edited:
binbagsss said:
Yes.

Likes binbagsss

Related to Integration of delta function over two variables

1. What is the purpose of integrating a delta function over two variables?

The integration of a delta function over two variables is used to calculate the total probability or mass of a system in a given region.

2. How is the integration of a delta function over two variables different from a single variable?

In a single variable integration, the delta function represents a point mass at a specific value. However, in a double variable integration, the delta function represents a line or plane of point masses, allowing for a more precise calculation of mass or probability in multi-dimensional systems.

3. Can a delta function be integrated over any region in two variables?

Yes, a delta function can be integrated over any region in two variables. However, the region must be defined and the delta function must be appropriately scaled to account for the dimensions of the region.

4. What is the relationship between the integration of a delta function over two variables and the Dirac delta function?

The integration of a delta function over two variables is a generalization of the Dirac delta function, which is a special case where the region of integration is a single point. The Dirac delta function can be thought of as a limit of the integration of a delta function over two variables as the region approaches a single point.

5. What applications does the integration of a delta function over two variables have in science and engineering?

The integration of a delta function over two variables is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics to calculate mass or probability distributions in multi-dimensional systems. It is also used in signal processing and image analysis to represent impulses or point sources in two or more dimensions.