Integration By Trig Substitution

In summary, the problem is to find the integral of √(4-x^2)/x and the suggested method is to use the substitution u^2=4-x^2 and then use partial fractions. There is some confusion about how to use partial fractions and some suggestions to try trig substitutions.
neshepard
1. Homework Statement
∫√(4-x^2)/x dx

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
a^2=4 u^2=x^2 ⇒ u=asinθ
a=2 u=x
x=2sinθ sinθ
2cosθ=√(4-x^2)
dx=2cosθ dθ

∫√(4-4sin^2θ)/2sinθ 2cosθ dθ
∫2cos^2θ/2sinθ 2cosθ dθ
2∫cos^2θ/sinθ cosθ dθ

Now what? I have been working on this problem for the last 3 3 hours and I am at a stand still. Can somebody Please get me to the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
neshepard said:
2∫cos^2θ/sinθ cosθ dθ

Now use the formula cos2θ+sin2θ=1 and replace cos2θ and then try using t=sinθ as a substitution.

I don't think you want to use a trig substitution. Try u^2=4-x^2. Then use partial fractions on the u integral.

To do partial fractions, don't I need to divide the numerator by the denominator because the exponent is larger in the numerator? If so, how? I've never tried to do synthetic division on a sqrt.

neshepard said:
To do partial fractions, don't I need to divide the numerator by the denominator because the exponent is larger in the numerator? If so, how? I've never tried to do synthetic division on a sqrt.

Maybe you missed that it's u^2=4-x^2, not u=4-x^2. There's no sqrt left after the u substitution.

What I have now is:
=2∫cos^2θ/sinθ dθ
=2∫1-sin^2θ/sinθ dθ
=2∫1-sinθ dθ
=2(cosθ + θ)
But I can't resub because there is no value for θ!

neshepard said:
What I have now is:
=2∫cos^2θ/sinθ dθ
=2∫1-sin^2θ/sinθ dθ
=2∫1-sinθ dθ
=2(cosθ + θ)
But I can't resub because there is no value for θ!

You are also making algebra mistakes. (1-sin(t)^2)/sin(t) isn't 1-sin(t). And to get things back in terms of x, you want to put theta=arcsin(x/2).

Dick said:
I don't think you want to use a trig substitution. Try u^2=4-x^2. Then use partial fractions on the u integral.

well that's right

whenever u have anything under the square root , try removing hte square root first

Related to Integration By Trig Substitution

1. What is integration by trig substitution?

Integration by trig substitution is a method used to solve integrals that involve trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric expression for a variable in the integral to simplify it and make it easier to solve.

2. When should I use trig substitution to solve an integral?

Trig substitution is most useful when the integral contains a square root of a quadratic expression or a combination of trigonometric functions. It can also be used when the integral contains a term in the form of a^2 - x^2, where a is a constant.

3. What are the steps for integration by trig substitution?

The steps for integration by trig substitution are as follows:

1. Identify the integral that can be solved using trig substitution.

2. Choose the appropriate trigonometric substitution based on the terms in the integral.

3. Substitute the trigonometric expression for the variable in the integral.

4. Simplify the integral using trigonometric identities.

5. Solve the resulting integral.

4. What are some common trigonometric substitutions used in integration?

Some common trigonometric substitutions used in integration are:

1. For integrals involving √(a^2 - x^2), use x = a sin θ.

2. For integrals involving √(a^2 + x^2), use x = a tan θ.

3. For integrals involving √(x^2 - a^2), use x = a sec θ.

4. For integrals involving √(x^2 + a^2), use x = a cot θ.

5. Can I always use trig substitution to solve an integral?

No, trig substitution is only useful for certain types of integrals. It cannot be used to solve all integrals, and in some cases, it may not be the most efficient method. It is important to consider other integration techniques such as integration by parts or partial fractions before using trig substitution.