Where have I gone wrong with this surface integral problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of evaluating a surface integral using the Divergence Theorem. The surface in question is a cylinder defined by x^2+y^2≤4 and 0≤z≤1. The surface is parametrized in terms of θ and z, and the cross product is used to determine the orientation of the surface. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the importance of choosing the correct orientation for the surface when integrating over the top and bottom surfaces of the cylinder.
Lucy Yeats

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral ∫F.dS where F = xi - yj + zk and where the surface S is of the cylinder defined by x^2+y^2≤4, and 0≤z≤1. Verify your answer using the Divergence Theorem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I parametrized the surface in terms of θ and z: r=(2cosθ, 2sinθ, z). I found dr/dθ X dr/dz=(2cosθ, 2sinθ, z). (How do I know which way round to do the cross product?). I rewrote F as (2cosθ, -2sinθ, z). I then did the following integral:
∫∫(2cosθ, -2sinθ, z).(2cosθ, 2sinθ, z)dθdz and got ∫∫4(cosθ)^2-4(sinθ)^2 dθ dz=0

But using the divergence theorem: divF=1, so I found the answer to be the volume of the cylinder, 4pi.

Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you include the top and bottom surfaces of the cylinder?

Ah, I forgot those... Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try again now and see if I get the right answer. Could someone explain how you work out which way round to do the cross products?

Thanks, I got the right answer. :-)

I'm still confused about the cross product thing I mentioned before though...

Your original problem, "Evaluate the surface integral ∫F.dS where F = xi - yj + zk and where the surface S is of the cylinder defined by x^2+y^2≤4, and 0≤z≤1" isn't complete. You need to specify the orientation of the surface as well. Here, as for general closed surfaces, you can specify either "oriented by outward pointing normals" or "oriented by inward pointing normals".

Changing the order of a cross product only changes the direction of the normal vector. In your example, you get [itex]<2cos(\theta), 2sin(\theta), z>[/itex] If you check different values of [itex]\theta[/itex], for example, for [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] so that is [itex]<2, 0, z>[itex] or [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex] so that is [itex]<0, 2, z>[/itex] you can see that the vector is pointing away from the the z-axis, which is the axis of the cylinder, and so is "outward pointing". If you did the cross product in the other order, you would get [itex]<-2cos(\theta) -2sin(\theta), -z>[/itex] so that every vector is pointing toward the axis. That normal is "inward pointing" and integrating with that would give the negative of the integral using the "outward pointing" normal.

That also, by the way, means that when you integrate over the two ends of the cylinder, you must make the same "outward" or "inward" choice. If you used outward pointing normals for the cylinder, then on the plane z= 1, you must use [itex]dS= <0, 0, 1> dxdy[/itex] so it is pointing upward (out of the cylinder) and on the plane z= 0 you must use [itex]dX= <0, 0, -1>dxdy[/itex] pointing downward (but still out of the cylinder).

Thanks so much; this makes perfect sense now. :-)

Related to Where have I gone wrong with this surface integral problem?

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field across a given surface. It measures the amount of a vector field that passes through the surface.

2. How do I know if I have gone wrong with a surface integral problem?

There are a few key indicators that can signal a mistake in a surface integral problem. These include getting a negative value for a physical quantity, ending up with an answer that is not a real number, or getting a result that does not make sense in the context of the problem. It is always a good idea to double-check your work if you encounter any of these issues.

3. What are the common mistakes made in surface integral problems?

One common mistake is using the wrong orientation for the surface, which can lead to a negative result. Another mistake is not properly parameterizing the surface, which can result in an incorrect integral setup. Forgetting to include all necessary terms or using the wrong limits of integration are also common errors in surface integral problems.

4. How can I check my answer for a surface integral problem?

You can check your answer by using a different method to solve the problem, such as using a different coordinate system or breaking the surface into smaller, simpler pieces. You can also check your answer by plugging your calculated values back into the original equation to see if they satisfy the given conditions.

5. What resources are available to help with surface integral problems?

There are various online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems, that can help you understand the concept of surface integrals and how to solve them. You can also consult with a math or physics tutor for personalized help and guidance. Additionally, textbooks and lecture notes from your own or other universities can provide helpful explanations and examples.