Find the Exact length of the Polar Curve

In summary: If not, can you please copy and paste the equation into a new post and explain what is wrong?In summary, the homework statement is r=2(1+cosθ), dr/dθ=-2sinθ, and L=∫√(4cos^2θ+4sin^2θ+8cosθ+4)dθ. The attempt at a solution is r=2(1+cosθ), dr/dθ=-2sinθ, and L=∫√((2+2cosθ)^2+(-2sinθ)^2)dθ. After integrating, the answer should be 2
CitizenInsane

Homework Statement

Find the Exact length of the Polar Curve for
r=2(1+cosθ)

No limits of Integration were given which I found to be odd.

Homework Equations

L= ∫√(r^2+(dr/dθ)^2)dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

r=2(1+cosθ)
dr/dθ=-2sinθ

L=∫√((2+2cosθ)^2+(-2sinθ)^2)dθ
=∫√(4cos^2θ+4sin^2θ+8cosθ+4)dθ
=∫√(8cosθ+8)dθ

Got to this point and figured I did something incorrectly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CitizenInsane said:

Homework Statement

r=2(1+cosθ)
It's not a good idea to put the statement of the problem only in the title! I started to say "no that is not a problem statement" until I looked up at your title!

No limits of Integration were given which I found to be odd.
Perhaps they expect you to be able to get that yourself. When [itex]\theta= 0[/itex], [itex]cos(\theta)= 1[/itex] so r= 4; when [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex], [itex]cos(\theta)= 0[/itex] so r= 2; when [itex]\theta= pi[/itex], [itex]cos(\theta)= -1[/itex] so r= 0; when [itex]\theta= 3\pi/2[/itex], [itex]cos(\theta)= 0[/itex] so r= 2 and when [itex]\theta= 2\pi[/itex], [itex]cos(\theta)= 1[/itex] so r= 4 again. We make one complete loop around the figure (a "cardiod" since it looks roughly like the "valentine" heart) as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. That shouldn't be too surprizing since cosine has period [itex]2\pi[/itex].

Homework Equations

L= ∫√(r^2+(dr/dθ)^2)dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

r=2(1+cosθ)
dr/dθ=-2sinθ

L=∫√((2+2cosθ)^2+(-2sinθ)^2)dθ
=∫√(4cos^2θ+4sin^2θ+8cosθ+4)dθ
=∫√(8cosθ+8)dθ

Got to this point and figured I did something incorrectly.
No, that's correct. Now integrate from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

Like HallsofIvy said, you should plot the polar curve: r=2(1+cosθ) to find the limits of integration. I have attached the graph to this post.

Attachments

• polar.gif
    polar.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,258
Sorry for not putting enough info originally, new to the forums.
Also when I integrate, I get stuck at
=√8∫√(cosθ+1)dθ
Only step I could think of next is to u-sub what's inside the radical.

CitizenInsane said:
Sorry for not putting enough info originally, new to the forums.
Also when I integrate, I get stuck at
=√8∫√(cosθ+1)dθ
Only step I could think of next is to u-sub what's inside the radical.

Try trigonometric substitution. Let [itex]\sqrt{\cos \theta}=\tan \phi[/itex]

After integrating, the answer should be: [tex]2\sqrt{8}.\sqrt{\cos \theta +1}.\tan \frac{\theta}{2}[/tex] Now, you have to put the limits and evaluate.
The problem is that for [itex]0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi[/itex], the evaluation gives 0.

Are you sure the integral for L is correct in your first post?

Last edited:

Related to Find the Exact length of the Polar Curve

1. What is the concept of finding the exact length of a polar curve?

The exact length of a polar curve is the distance along the curve from its starting point to its ending point. It is a measure of the total length of the curve, which is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications.

2. How is the exact length of a polar curve calculated?

The exact length of a polar curve can be calculated using an integral formula derived from the polar coordinates of the curve. This formula involves the use of trigonometric functions and the derivative of the polar equation.

3. Can the exact length of a polar curve be approximated?

Yes, the exact length of a polar curve can be approximated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods divide the curve into smaller sections and calculate the length of each section, then add them together to get an approximation of the total length.

4. Are there any limitations to calculating the exact length of a polar curve?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the exact length of a polar curve. One limitation is that the curve must have a continuous and differentiable polar equation. Additionally, the integral formula used to calculate the exact length may become very complex for more complex curves, making it difficult to find a closed-form solution.

5. How is finding the exact length of a polar curve useful in real-world applications?

The concept of finding the exact length of a polar curve has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to calculate the distance traveled by a moving object or the circumference of a circular orbit. It can also be used to determine the length of a coastline or the shape of a DNA molecule.