Initial value problem-application (multivariable calculus)

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a problem on a quiz, where the steps involve using the equations ##v(t) = \int -\cos t \hat i -\sin t \hat j dt## and ##r(t) = \int -\sin t \hat i + \cos t \hat j + \hat k dt##. The solution involves solving for constant vectors C and K, and using the equations to find the final equations for velocity and position.
mmont012

Homework Statement

This is a solution to a problem that was on a quiz, and I am confused about how to do it. Especially lines
two (<0,1,1>=v(0)=<C1, 1+C2, C3> --> C1=0, C2=0, C3=1 and
five (<1,0,0>=r(0)=<1+ K1, K2, K3> -->K1=0, K2=0, K3=0
How do you do these steps? Can someone walk me through this process?
upload_2015-12-9_20-42-35.png

I'm studying for my final, and I KNOW that this will be one there.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since ##v(t) = \int -\cos t \hat i -\sin t \hat j dt, ## you get ##v(t) = -\sin t \hat i + \cos t \hat j + \vec C ##.
Note that C can be any constant vector.
Plug in t = 0 and compare with your v(0) term to solve for vector C.
##v(0) = -\sin 0 \hat i + \cos 0 \hat j + \vec C = 0 \hat i + 1 \hat j + \vec C = \hat j + \hat k ##
This gives you ##\vec C = \hat k ##. Put this back into your equation for v(t) and you get ##v(t) = -\sin t \hat i + \cos t \hat j + \hat k ##.
Next, you integrate velocity to get position.
##r(t) = \int -\sin t \hat i + \cos t \hat j + \hat k dt = \cos t \hat i + \sin t \hat j + t \hat k + \vec K. ##
Where, again, vector K is any constant vector.
As before, put in t = 0 and compare with initial position ## \hat i ## to solve for the constant vector K.
##r(0) = \hat i = \cos 0 \hat i + \sin 0 \hat j + 0 \hat k + \vec K =1 \hat i + 0 \hat j + 0 \hat k + \vec K . ##
This shows you that vector K is the zero vector, so you can write r(t) as
##r(t) = \cos t \hat i + \sin t \hat j + t \hat k . ##

Likes mmont012

Related to Initial value problem-application (multivariable calculus)

1. What is an initial value problem in multivariable calculus?

An initial value problem in multivariable calculus is a mathematical model that involves finding a function or set of functions that satisfy a given set of conditions, typically involving multiple independent variables. These conditions include a set of initial values, which are used to determine the solution to the problem.

2. How is an initial value problem different from a boundary value problem?

An initial value problem is different from a boundary value problem in that the former involves finding a function or set of functions that satisfy certain conditions at a specific starting point, while the latter involves finding a function or set of functions that satisfy certain conditions at multiple points along a defined boundary.

3. What are some real-world applications of initial value problems in multivariable calculus?

Initial value problems in multivariable calculus have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, they can be used to model the motion of a projectile, the growth of a population, or the flow of fluids in a system.

4. What are some common methods for solving initial value problems in multivariable calculus?

Some common methods for solving initial value problems in multivariable calculus include the separation of variables method, the undetermined coefficients method, and the Laplace transform method. These methods involve using various techniques to simplify the problem and solve for the unknown function(s).

5. How can I check if my solution to an initial value problem is correct?

One way to check the correctness of a solution to an initial value problem is to substitute the solution into the original problem and see if it satisfies all of the given conditions. Additionally, you can use methods such as graphical analysis or numerical approximation to compare your solution to the problem with other known solutions or data points.