Second order DE problem with initial condition rather than 0

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the method of homogeneous DE with constant coefficients. The solution process involves finding the constants c1 and c2 by plugging in the initial conditions, y(1) = 1 and y'(1) = 0, and solving for them. However, the book presents a slightly different approach by using properties of exponents to simplify the answer and obtaining an exact solution. The concept of shifting the equation is also mentioned, which involves adjusting the initial conditions to make the solution process easier.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

Solve the following DE

y'' + 8y' − 9y = 0, y(1) = 1, y'(1) = 0

Homework Equations

Homogenous DE with constant coefficients

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i solved it normally using a CE and having
yH= c1 e^t + c2 e^(-9t) ..
y' = c1 e^t -9 c2 e^(-9t)

I then plugged in 1 in each of the above equation set from the homo. equation and its derivative and set that

c1 e^1 + c2 e^-9 = 1
c1e^1 -9c2 e^-9=0

I solved the eqns getting c1 =0.33 and c2= 810 getting my final homo. eqn as

y= 0.33 e^t + 810 e^ -9t

HOWEVER, this isn't the answer. The forum asks for my attempt NO? ... Well, the detailed answer just confuses me... Te fact that the I.C is y(0) and it is y(1) instead changes the procedure. I don't know why.. The book gives yh= k1 e^(t-1) + k2 e^-9(t-1) giving a note that c1=k1 e^-1 and c2= k2 e^9 ... They then write y'= k1 e^(t-1) -9 k2 e^-9(t-1)...

I am sorry for making this long but can any PATIENT person give me an explanation to this. I am pretty confused here and thanks in advance to whoever shows up with a good reply. I appreciate it a LOT! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
No procedure has been changed. From looking at what you post, it appears as if the book choose to use properties of exponents to simplify their anticipated answer.

Also, all you have to do is check whether, for your answer, ##y(1) =1## and ##y'(1) = 0## to within reasonable errors, since you truncated the constants.

can someone kindly teach me the 'properties of exponents to simplify their anticipated answer.' in this context?

ehabmozart said:
I solved the eqns getting c1 =0.33 and c2= 810 getting my final homo. eqn as

y= 0.33 e^t + 810 e^ -9t

HOWEVER, this isn't the answer.
You're correct. That isn't the answer. It is close to the answer. The issue is that you solved for c1 and c2 numerically. Why? It wouldn't have taken any more effort to solve for it symbolically and obtained an exact answer.

The book gives yh= k1 e^(t-1) + k2 e^-9(t-1) giving a note that c1=k1 e^-1 and c2= k2 e^9 ... They then write y'= k1 e^(t-1) -9 k2 e^-9(t-1)...
Two things you should notice here. One is that this shift simplifies things a bit. The other is that this is exactly the same as your answer had you solved for your c1 and c2 exactly.

Thanks a lot guys for your kind hands! I just have a small part falling out. The SHIFT! Consider we begin at y(0) and the roots of the CE is 1 and -1 .. so the homo. equation will be y= c1 e ^( t ) + c2 e^(-t).. Now consider when it begins at 2.. How to do the shift or what steps were done to write the new SHIFTED equation as y=k1 e^ (t-2) + c2 e^-1(t-2)? Thanks again for your patience

Related to Second order DE problem with initial condition rather than 0

1. What is a second order DE problem with initial condition?

A second order differential equation (DE) problem with initial condition refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a second order DE, along with an initial condition. The initial condition is a set of values that the function must take at a specific point in the domain.

2. How is a second order DE problem with initial condition different from one with an initial condition of 0?

The difference lies in the specific values given for the initial condition. In a second order DE problem with initial condition, the function must take on specific values at a particular point in the domain, whereas in a problem with an initial condition of 0, the function must take on a value of 0 at the specified point.

3. What is the purpose of an initial condition in a second order DE problem?

The initial condition serves as a starting point for finding a unique solution to the second order DE. It helps to narrow down the possible solutions and ensures that the function satisfies both the equation and the given values at the specified point.

4. Can the initial condition in a second order DE problem be given at any point in the domain?

No, the initial condition must be given at a point where the function is differentiable. This is because the initial condition is used to find the general solution to the DE, which requires the function to be differentiable at the given point.

5. Are there any specific methods for solving a second order DE problem with initial condition?

Yes, there are various methods for solving second order DE problems with initial conditions, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transform. The choice of method depends on the specific characteristics of the DE and the initial condition given.