Path Integral Setup for Given Initial and Final Points

In summary, the student was attempting to solve the path integral from (0,0,0) to (1,1,1) of <x^2,2yz,y^2> and was confused about the setup. After receiving an explanation, they realized that the integral could not be broken up into three parts and that setting y and z equal to zero was incorrect. The student also clarified that the integral could only be solved if a specific path was given.
Safder Aree

Homework Statement

The path integral from (0,0,0) to (1,1,1) of $$<x^2,2yz,y^2>$$.
I am a little confused about the setup.

Homework Equations

$$\int_{a}^{b} v.dl$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is how I set it up.
$$\int_{0}^{1}x^2 dx + \int_{0}^{1}2yz dy + \int_{0}^{1}y^2 dz$$

Since the initial values of all of them are 0 can I not substitute y=0 and z=0?
So the equation looks like:
$$\int_{0}^{1}x^2 dx + \int_{0}^{1}2y(0) dy + \int_{0}^{1}(0)^2 dz$$
$$=1/3 + 0 + 0$$

I know this is wrong but where am I making the error? Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can only break the integral up into three parts like that because ##x^2\:dx+2xy\:dy+y^2\:dz## is what is called an exact differential. In general, you cannot do this.

You cannot set y and z equal to zero because, as you move along the path, they vary from 0 to 1. So their "average" value is not zero.

Likes Safder Aree
Gene Naden said:
You can only break the integral up into three parts like that because ##x^2\:dx+2xy\:dy+y^2\:dz## is what is called an exact differential. In general, you cannot do this.

You cannot set y and z equal to zero because, as you move along the path, they vary from 0 to 1. So their "average" value is not zero.

That actually makes perfect sense now. If say (0,0,0) to (1,0,0) then I could right?

You could go from (0,0,0) to (0,0,1) and from there to (0,1,1) and from there to (1,1,1)

Likes Safder Aree
Gene Naden said:
You could go from (0,0,0) to (0,0,1) and from there to (0,1,1) and from there to (1,1,1)
Right sorry, that's what i meant. Thank you.

@Safder Aree : You do understand though, that generally you have to be given a particular path and work the integral out by using a parameterization of that path, right? Your problem as stated couldn't be solved if the integral hadn't been independent of path.

Likes Safder Aree
LCKurtz said:
@Safder Aree : You do understand though, that generally you have to be given a particular path and work the integral out by using a parameterization of that path, right? Your problem as stated couldn't be solved if the integral hadn't been independent of path.

Yes I do understand that, I'm not quite comfortable with path integrals quite yet but hopefully it'll come with practice.

Related to Path Integral Setup for Given Initial and Final Points

1. What is the path integral question?

The path integral question is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that seeks to determine the probability of a particle moving from one point to another in space along all possible paths. It is also known as the Feynman path integral or the sum-over-paths approach.

2. How does the path integral question relate to quantum mechanics?

The path integral question is an important part of quantum mechanics as it provides a mathematical framework for calculating the probability of various quantum events. It allows for the incorporation of both classical and quantum mechanics into a single theory.

3. What is the significance of the path integral question in physics?

The path integral question has significant implications in various fields of physics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and field theory. It provides a way to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems and has been used in the development of many important theories and models.

4. How is the path integral question solved?

The path integral question is solved using a mathematical tool called the Feynman path integral, which involves summing over all possible paths that a particle can take in space. This is done by breaking the path into small segments and calculating the probability for each segment, which is then multiplied together to give the overall probability.

5. What are some real-world applications of the path integral question?

The path integral question has numerous applications in physics, including the study of particle interactions, the behavior of quantum systems, and the properties of materials. It is also used in fields such as finance and economics to model the probability of various outcomes. Additionally, the path integral question has been applied to problems in chemistry, biology, and computer science.