If you are an engineer but find out you don't like it?

• Studying
  • Thread starter SeasonalBeef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, it is important to consider what one would like to do professionally before choosing a specific engineering field. It is also helpful to view engineering as applied science and get involved in clubs and organizations related to engineering. There is no perfect path and it is common for students to transfer between sub-fields within engineering. It is recommended to keep a general focus in the first year of engineering/physics programs to explore different options. The American Society of Civil Engineers is a good resource for information on civil engineering and its sub-disciplines. Additionally, many community colleges and universities have common courses in the first year before students have to choose a specific major.
CrysPhys said:
Yes. But another poster already raised alternatives, and the OP emphatically rejected them.
I could suggest that the OP is not being realistic. She/he, like all of us, has to be prepared to compromise. This is particularly the case in the present world situation.
No one will offer multiple ‘tasters’ to a prospective employee unless they have a string of impressive qualifications.

Likes Office_Shredder
Physics news on Phys.org
CrysPhys said:
Yes. But another poster already raised alternatives, and the OP emphatically rejected them.
One of the options they gave was patent law. Maybe it's a good career but I highly doubt I'd be happy doing it. Also why are alternatives even being discussed? So I don't know what field of engineering I want to go into yet. I'm only a freshman in college. I'm just looking for the resources and methods to better understand and choose which field I may find right for me. But it seems like because I don't know from the start I should just give up and setting for something less or even comepletely unrelated to what I'm going for like patent law.

If someone wanted to become a doctor but was unsure which specialization they wanted and they just started college, not med school, but college to get their associate degree, would you tell them to give up on being a doctor and go for patent law because they don't know which specialization they want but are sure they want to be a doctor? That's what it feels like to me. "You don't know which engineering you want, you should just give up and go into something totally unrelated to what you are going for."

Likes symbolipoint
SeasonalBeef said:
I have time to figure it out but why wait? The sooner I start looking the better.
The sooner I start looking the better. More time to figure out what I want.
This is the issue I don't want to run into. I want to get it right the first time so what do I need to do to better increase my chances of finding out the right field of engineering for me?
I'd greatly like to know what I can do.
IMHO you are making too much of this. As if there was only one right choice and anything else would be a disaster. Life isn't like that. You seem to have a good idea of what you do not want. So skip that and pick what you like best at this point.

I could debit a few platitudes (if you don't know what you want you get something else :wink:, don't shoot is a certain miss :rolleyes: , engineers have to make a decision at some point and so on)

The age issue is fairly irrelevant. It's an advantage you don't have ##-## so what? You're not going for the Nobel prize. Get a (any) good degree and lay your course as you go !

##\ ##

SeasonalBeef said:
One of the options they gave was patent law. Maybe it's a good career but I highly doubt I'd be happy doing it. Also why are alternatives even being discussed? So I don't know what field of engineering I want to go into yet. I'm only a freshman in college. I'm just looking for the resources and methods to better understand and choose which field I may find right for me. But it seems like because I don't know from the start I should just give up and setting for something less or even comepletely unrelated to what I'm going for like patent law.

If someone wanted to become a doctor but was unsure which specialization they wanted and they just started college, not med school, but college to get their associate degree, would you tell them to give up on being a doctor and go for patent law because they don't know which specialization they want but are sure they want to be a doctor? That's what it feels like to me. "You don't know which engineering you want, you should just give up and go into something totally unrelated to what you are going for."
Hey, if you read my posts carefully, you will realize I'm the guy who keeps trying to refocus this thread onto your original question ("How do I decide what field of engineering I should major in?"/"What happens if I make the wrong choice?"). My specific advice was in Reply #23. I never suggested you give up on engineering.

Last edited:
Take the most advanced math, physics, and materials science courses you can
and then ask the question again in a year or so. Otherwise

:frown:do not perseverate:smile:My new all purpose answer.

Likes Astronuc
IMHO you are making too much of this. As if there was only one right choice
BvU said:
IMHO you are making too much of this. As if there was only one right choice
I don't think there is one right choice. But I think there are choices in which i might not like and choices I might like. But ultimately I need to choose one path to get a degree in. Or is that not the case? Aside from multi degree. I'm just trying to narrow in what would be right for me.

CrysPhys said:
Hey, if you read my posts carefully, you will realize I'm the guy who keeps trying to refocus this thread onto your original question ("How do I decide what field of engineering I should major in?"/"What happens if I make the wrong choice?"). My specific advice was in Reply #23. I never suggested you give up on engineering.
You are correct. I'm replying on mobile and running on low sleep as well as was waiting for a program to complete on matlab. I thank you and I apologize.

Likes BvU and hutchphd
sophiecentaur said:
it's to do with ability to get on in any job.
But look, first my replying via forums online is not a true representation of my entire being. Second, there is a world of other opportunities out there. Let's put them on the back burner. Put a pin in it. But so far I'd like to pursue engineering. Maybe there is a different career out there I can be good at. It won't necessarily mean I'll like it. Sure Sure job is a job but I have the option snd ability to find tye right job for me. This isn't to say only one job is right but I'm really feeling engineering will be right for me. How I may seem here on this forum isn't a true representation of me.

All this thread is about is how do I find the right engineering field for me. This doesn't mean one and above all engineering field. Maybe there are several different engineering fields that I'd be good at. The issue is though degrees tend to be only one thing unless that degree encompasses multiple aspects within it. Say for the sake of argument both robotic and chemical engineering would suit me. Now aside from taking two degrees I'm unsure how I'd be able to fully get qualified to be both under one degree. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are degrees that let you mix and match. But let's say no there isn't. It's either robotics or chemical. And I'd just like to remind you these are hypotheticals. So I choose robotics but then say I want to do chemical. When I would have gotten the robotic engineering degree I didn't take the required chemistry classes. So I would have to go back and take those to be qualified. To have a better understanding of chemistry and chemical engineering.

I'm really trying to explain my viewpoint and what I'm trying to say so you can better understand it. Putting my thoughts into words and communicating is one of my weak points that I intend to work on but as of now it's lacking. It's a hurdle I intend to and will overcome.

Anyways I do believe someone much earlier in the thread pointed out what I can do to better understand what I'd like to do in engineering and since then it's gone downhill so I now dub this thread over.

SeasonalBeef said:
I am worried about going for an engineering field and getting a degree in it to only find out its either not what I thought it would be or I just do not like it. If that happened I'd think the only option is go back to college to get a different degree, but I'd really not want to do that.

Is there a good way to find out what each engineering field really does? How do you know which field is right for you?
I read parts of several of the posts in this topic. You need to have counseling help to figure out why you think you should choose Engineering, or to help find a major field choice other than or related to Engineering. Somebody needs to help you examine your academic development and your personal or hobby or leisure time activities and their developments.

SeasonalBeef said:
So I choose robotics but then say I want to do chemical. When I would have gotten the robotic engineering degree I didn't take the required chemistry classes. So I would have to go back and take those to be qualified. To have a better understanding of chemistry and chemical engineering.
Under those circumstances, you would have to make a 'personal decision'. No one else can tell you how you would feel about that to the time. Yes - you would have to repeat a great chunk of education time. That's a fact.

There was a song in the '50s' called "Que sera sera" and that's what the singer's mum said to him. Same answer from PF, I'm afraid.

Likes hutchphd
There's no One True Degree to rule them all. I think far more important than the degree you get or the field you go into is the people you work with. If you join a good team of people with a sense of camaraderie, you're going to like the work you do. If you join a place where everyone is backstabbing each other for promotions, planning their exit strategy to another company, or ripping off their underlings by underpaying them, you're going to hate your job. Every field has both types of jobs, and most of them are somewhere in between. The better you are at your chosen field, the more you get to pick where you work and can find an environment that is good for you.

So that's my actual advice. Do not pick doing the thing that you feel like is your passion. Pick the thing that you are the best at compared to everyone else. If you're doing robotics, and you love doing robotics, but you're also at the bottom of your class because you aren't that good at robotics, then your work life is probably not going to be very fun - you'll struggle to find a job, and then you'll struggle to get away from that job. If you pick something that's kind of boring but you're a rock star at it, you'll have a lot more opportunity to pick a place to work.

How do you know what you're good at? It's hard to say. You've already taken a chemistry class of some kind, so you probably got a bit of a sense of whether the material clicked for you and you really got it, or you were just cramming it all in for the exams and then forgot the rote memorization a week later. This applies to engineering as a whole as well. If you aren't very good at it, you should try to find something else you can do as a career (this doesn't mean you can't get an engineering degree, since lots of jobs don't have very specific degree requirements)

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint and hutchphd
SeasonalBeef said:
I now dub this thread over
ha ha -- you can stop reading and we will keep posting :oldbiggrin:

I work on safety analysis for nuclear power plants. Pretty specialized field, right? The people I work with have degrees in nuclear engineering, mech eng, civil eng, chemical eng, physics, math, aeronautical, ...

We all do the same work, these aren't people taking on different aspects of the overall job. I can't tell "by looking" who is the mech E and who is the aeronautical.

How is that possible? Engineers move around and take on different jobs, and they learn on the job. We all learned a lot in school, but I have learned way way more, on the job. So your specific degree will probably influence where you get hired right out of school, but as time goes on it can mean less and less. Sure, there are engineers who "stick" with their degree field, but your career doesn't have to be that way. Never stop growing.

Likes russ_watters and BvU
Office_Shredder said:
There's no One True Degree to rule them all. I think far more important than the degree you get or the field you go into is the people you work with. If you join a good team of people with a sense of camaraderie, you're going to like the work you do. If you join a place where everyone is backstabbing each other for promotions, planning their exit strategy to another company, or ripping off their underlings by underpaying them, you're going to hate your job. Every field has both types of jobs, and most of them are somewhere in between. The better you are at your chosen field, the more you get to pick where you work and can find an environment that is good for you.

So that's my actual advice. Do not pick doing the thing that you feel like is your passion. Pick the thing that you are the best at compared to everyone else. If you're doing robotics, and you love doing robotics, but you're also at the bottom of your class because you aren't that good at robotics, then your work life is probably not going to be very fun - you'll struggle to find a job, and then you'll struggle to get away from that job. If you pick something that's kind of boring but you're a rock star at it, you'll have a lot more opportunity to pick a place to work.
I’ve had colleagues who were a delight to work with and colleagues who were outright jerks. I’ve had bosses who were supportive and bosses who were despicable. I’ve worked in environments that were nurturing and environments that were toxic. Even if initially you pick a job with great people to work with, you have no control over how the team evolves: a colleague who is a delight to work with leaves, and is replaced with a colleague who is a total jerk; a boss who is supportive leaves, and is replaced with a boss who is despicable; the company is taken over, and the overall work environment inverts from nurturing to toxic.

If your sense of well being at work is dependent primarily on the people you work with, and if you really don’t care that much for your work, then your only option is to leave, either for another group within the same company or for another company. But then you can be faced with exactly the same scenario. In which case, you become an employee constantly “planning their exit strategy”, which you yourself consider a negative.

On the other hand, if you truly enjoy what you are doing, and if your sense of well being at work is dependent primarily on your assignments, then you can deal with personnel issues to a reasonable degree in most (not all) instances, filter out the background noise, and stay put (as long as it isn't deleterious to your health).

There is some correlation between what you like doing and what you’re good at. I’m not referring to naive people who post “I have a passion for string theory!”, when they haven’t even completed freshman math. But in many instances, if you love what you’re doing, you’ll work at it (especially if it’s fun for you), and you’ll get even better at what you’re doing. On the other hand, if you don’t like what you’re doing (OK, it pays the bills), you won’t work at it (unless you’re a masochist), and you won’t get better at what you’re doing.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and sophiecentaur
If your question is "which" field of engineering rather than "if" engineering, then I would search for a program that offers a general first year where you don't declare your specific engineering stream until 2nd year. Such programs will often include an engineering project course in your first year that exposes you to the various streams so that you can get a better idea of what each encompasses and may make it more obvious to you what you would really prefer to be doing.

Likes russ_watters, sophiecentaur and gmax137
gwnorth said:
If your question is "which" field of engineering rather than "if" engineering, then I would search for a program that offers a general first year where you don't declare your specific engineering stream until 2nd year. Such programs will often include an engineering project course in your first year that exposes you to the various streams so that you can get a better idea of what each encompasses and may make it more obvious to you what you would really prefer to be doing.
The problem is that the OP is going the community college route first. As I previously pointed out, this can result in complications and extra expense under the circumstances (unsure of what to major in):

CrysPhys said:
(d) A lot depends on how many years you plan to spend at the university. Some students I know take their first two years at a community college and then transfer to a state university as a junior. This saves them a lot of money; and the total time getting a bachelor’s is still only 4 yrs. This works if they know what they want to major in, and if their community college and state university offer the appropriate programs. In your case, since you’re not sure what you want to major in, it might be worthwhile for you to spend an extra year at the university to explore your options.

@CrysPhys so the Community College route is 2 years at the CC followed by 2 years at a 4 year college? Would the courses at the CC go beyond those that are common to all streams of engineering or would they already begin to specialize?

gwnorth said:
@CrysPhys so the Community College route is 2 years at the CC followed by 2 years at a 4 year college? Would the courses at the CC go beyond those that are common to all streams of engineering or would they already begin to specialize?
Why not look at their literature?

gwnorth said:

sophiecentaur said:
Why not look at their literature?
About as you guessed. Community College takes a student through the first 2 years (depending) of Bachelor's degree in something; and a university takes a student through the next 2 years or so (depending) toward the Bachelor's degree.

gwnorth said:
Programs are specific to each community college. Some students complete a 2-yr Associates Degree program and stop. Others transfer to a 4-yr college/university and complete a Bachelor's Degree. Depending on the specific arrangements between a specific community college and a specific 4-yr college/university, the graduate of the community college can transfer in as a junior to the 4-yr college/university and complete the Bachelor's in 2 additional yrs (total time for Bachelor's is then still 4 yrs in this instance).

For sport, I ice skate. At the rink, I've gotten to know many students (skaters and part-time staff) who have gone the community college to state university route. Most have been business or finance majors, but a few have been science or engineering majors. As one example, the engineering program at the community college that the students I've known have gone to is listed here: https://catalog.raritanval.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=12&poid=1374&returnto=920. The courses for the first semester is the same for all engineering majors. Forking into three broad areas starts second semester, with further specialization in the third and fourth semesters.

I notice that there is a required first semester course, Intro to Engineering, whose course description is:

"The course is designed to help students to develop skills such as: communication, time management, group work. Lectures are supported by videos and guest speakers to expose students to different engineering disciplines and functions. Students will be introduced to all campus resources and services."

I don't have a clue how useful that is in helping a student (who doesn't know what to major in) decide on a major, especially since it's only a 1-credit course.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc
@SeasonalBeef ,

Throughout this thread, there have been a number of posts (particularly @CrysPhys in post # 23) that have asked you a number of questions which you never replied. Among these questions include the following:

1. What specific things in science are you interested in?

2. Do you like taking things apart and putting them back together?

3. Have you ever participated in science fairs?

4. Do you like programming?

5. Do you like to work with circuits? Have you worked with circuits before?

6. Do you like mixing different chemicals and see what happens?

(I'm sure there are other questions which I've missed)

Answering the questions above can help those of us on PF and yourself determine what types of engineering (if any) will best suit your interests.

Likes russ_watters and symbolipoint
symbolipoint said:
About as you guessed. Community College takes a student through the first 2 years (depending) of Bachelor's degree in something; and a university takes a student through the next 2 years or so (depending) toward the Bachelor's degree.
I wasn't referring to the names of the courses. I was referring to the course content. That should all be available. Naturally, the description may not be in the sort of terms that a prospective student would easily decypher but that's the sort of thing that PF could help with.
Then
CrysPhys said:
"The course is designed to help students to develop skills such as: communication, time management, group work. Lectures are supported by videos and guest speakers to expose students to different engineering disciplines and functions. Students will be introduced to all campus resources and services."
That's almost criminally vague, for helping you make a choice. But the course seems as if its claiming to be 'vocational' rather than academic. A lot of teaching establishments are more concerned with 'bums on seats' than actually teaching something useful. If you want to find out more then sift through their website, department by department. I bet you could find out some more than they volunteered. Also, look at their record of academic success. That must surely have been published every year. i.e. which students went where after attending.

That may or may not appeal to you. If it doesn't then look elsewhere.

sophiecentaur said:
That's almost criminally vague, for helping you make a choice. But the course seems as if its claiming to be 'vocational' rather than academic. A lot of teaching establishments are more concerned with 'bums on seats' than actually teaching something useful. If you want to find out more then sift through their website, department by department. I bet you could find out some more than they volunteered. Also, look at their record of academic success. That must surely have been published every year. i.e. which students went where after attending.
<<Emphasis added.>> The course matrix I cited above is specifically geared for students who plan to transfer to a 4-yr college/university to complete a Bachelor's Degree.

StatGuy2000 said:
@SeasonalBeef ,

Throughout this thread, there have been a number of posts (particularly @CrysPhys in post # 23) that have asked you a number of questions which you never replied. Among these questions include the following:

2. Do you like taking things apart and putting them back together?

(I'm sure there are other questions which I've missed)

Answering the questions above can help those of us on PF and yourself determine what types of engineering (if any) will best suit your interests.

I don't know. I like most of it I guess. The problem solving. The learning about how things work. But mostly it's a subject I typically get A's in. I'm good at it. One if my best subjects. That and maths. 2. Do you like taking things apart and putting them back together?

It's not something I've ever done. I'm sure I'd be able to learn to enjoy it though.

I think once or twice in elementary school.

I've never programed before

Never worked on them.

I actually like the chemical equation solving and balancing more.

SeasonalBeef said:

I don't know. I like most of it I guess. The problem solving. The learning about how things work. But mostly it's a subject I typically get A's in. I'm good at it. One if my best subjects. That and maths.2. Do you like taking things apart and putting them back together?

It's not something I've ever done. I'm sure I'd be able to learn to enjoy it though.

I think once or twice in elementary school.

I've never programed before

Never worked on them.

This isn't meant to be snarky. But I highly recommend that you hit the pause button, and rethink your current plans ... especially since you're starting college much later than a typical high school grad. Your answers to the above survey just don't jive at all with a previous post of yours:

SeasonalBeef said:
Yeah no on the whole patent law. Law, politics, and government I'd rather stay away from. I have an engineering mind. I want to be an engineer. Just not sure which engineering. I want to stay out of law, politics, government because it's not my mindset. I'm going for engineering. That's that. My minds made up. It's set in stone. My heart is set for engineering. It speaks to the way I think. I have trouble understanding a lot of things. But engineering, math, science, well I take it in like air. I'm not going to squander my potential in a patent office. I need a career that challenges me. That fulfills me. My father found his, I'll find mine. Engineering is where I'm going and I won't settle for anything else.
ETA:

In my Reply #23, I had posted a list of questions in (b), and followed up with:

"(c) Based on (b), you should be able to narrow your field of engineering among the major engineering categories, such as mechanical, electrical, chemical, biological, and software. And then perhaps narrow the choice to two fields, such as (mechanical, civil), (electrical, computer), or (chemical, materials). Pick one initially as a major, and take electives in the other. You can switch later on, if you change your mind."

In (c), I had originally also included the following: "But if your answers to (b) are, "None of the above.", then it's not likely that any field of engineering is right for you. " I deleted it, because I was concerned that it might come across as snarky. But I now think it would be useful for you to reflect upon.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and hutchphd
CrysPhys said:
a 4-yr college/university to complete a Bachelor's Degree.
I can only speak for the UK system but I do know that many Bachelor's Degree courses are very vocational in content and, however good they are, will tend to prepare the students for a particular specialism -OR- give a very wide range of information with not a very theoretical basis.
The comments that are posted on this thread will be from members with all levels of theoretical knowledge and ability so you need to read them all with care; some (this, included) may not be too relevant to you.

If you feel unable to 'demand' more detail about the course contents, you should be able to find samples of past exam papers for all the courses. It's unlikely that these would not be available to the public.
PS You have been asked a number of questions here but I think the bottom line would be "Have you ever tried, planned or even fantacised about mending or modifying an 'engineered' system in your life?" If your home / bike / car is all in perfect working order through your efforts the I could be fairly certain that you are an Engineer at heart.

sophiecentaur said:
I can only speak for the UK system but I do know that many Bachelor's Degree courses are very vocational in content and, however good they are, will tend to prepare the students for a particular specialism -OR- give a very wide range of information with not a very theoretical basis.
That's different from the use of "vocational" in the US. Typically, in the US "vocational schools" offer a 1-yr or 2-yr program after high school, resulting in a certificate or Associate's Degree. Many community colleges offer a vocational track for students planning to get a job after a 2-yr program and an academic track for students planning to transfer to a college/university to complete a Bachelor's Degree.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
sophiecentaur said:
PS You have been asked a number of questions here but I think the bottom line would be "Have you ever tried, planned or even fantacised about mending or modifying an 'engineered' system in your life?"
Just "trying" or "planning"? Doubtful. Merely "fantasizing"? Grossly inadequate.
sophiecentaur said:
If your home / bike / car is all in perfect working order through your efforts the I could be fairly certain that you are an Engineer at heart.
Actually "hands-on doing"? That's dispositive.

CrysPhys said:
This isn't meant to be snarky. But I highly recommend that you hit the pause button, and rethink your current plans ... especially since you're starting college much later than a typical high school grad. Your answers to the above survey just don't jive at all with a previous post of yours:
I really don't see why I have to have had done those things previous to have to become an engineer. Just because I never did those things doesn't mean they aren't things I'd want to do or would have liked to have done.

And I've hit the pause button on my life long enough. I've had enough time to think about what I want to do and this makes the most sense. I'm sure there are plenty of engineers that loce what they do who before going to college never even thought about engineering but they happened upon it and it became the path for them.

I recently came upon a book called Applied Minds: How Engineers Think by Guru Madhavan and in it it talks about thinks like how engineers can mentally pick apart ideas and concepts and put their various pieces into modules and find similarities in other things or implement those modules in other things that would otherwise seem completely different like finding a solution to an economical problem based on the principle of how an artery in the calf muscle pumps blood.

It opened my eyes showing me that I've always been able and have thought this way. I don't pick apart physical things and put them together. I pick apart ideas and reorganize them to create new ideas. I also like looking things that seem like they could be an issue and go "Huh, this looks like it could potentially be an issue, I have a few ideas how this issue could be avoided out right." Solving problems before they become a problem. I could see myself working somewhere as an engineer that specializes in safety and standards to keep them up to snuff and help solve any issues that might become ones.

What other profession is there that would let me use my mind to tackle such problems? Use science and math to figure out solutions? Engineering seems to hit right on that mark.

I'm not going to push the pause button. If I do I might not come back out. Here's the thing. I began my journey to be an engineer over 5 years ago. But then my mother died right in front of me. This was 4 years after my father died of a cancer that was literally eating his skin away and you could smell rotting flesh and his right arm was completely out of commission. Oh and on top of this my mom pulled a gun on me before he died so she was sent away to a mental ward for a month and I was left alone with my dad, because he didn't want to be in a hospital, so I had to give him morphine in his mouth every few hours until he passed away. Then i lived with my mom for 4 years after that who treated the gun issue like it was no big deal and also I found her near death several times in those 4 years until she had another mental break 2 months before she died and had to be sent to a mental ward again but they released her without really helping her because of insurance or something. I can't really remember why because it is all fuzzy but for a month she was completely different and the only way I could handle it was thinking "well if she kills me at least all this will be over" but then one morning I wake up and I find her in bed with vomit on her mouth and her skin turning blue. I called paramedics and did cpr but ultimately it didn't save her. So after all this I tried continuing college but couldn't. I was already dealing with things before that and this just opened up so many old wounds and created new ones that I just took a break. But that break became giving up. I just stopped caring. I didn't have any drive. I was just waiting for death to come and filling time. Then the pandemic hits and it sparks my interest to go back to college for some reason and now here I am driven towards a goal. So if I put pause on my life again I very well might not ever hit play. I am just on the better side of wanting to take a bunch of pills and call it quits.

Oh and yes I have been going to therapy. It isn't working. I've had different therapists and it still hasn't helped. But this though? Going for engineering? Taking these science and math classes? It's helped in ways no therapist nor medication could.

IM GOING INTO ENGINEERING. and my whole thread, this whole thread about which field should I go into, is all based on my need for control. I want to have a road map. And idea. A way to navigate towards what I may want to do.

But look at ohwilleke's reply in reply #15. I presented a problem they presented tools and resources I could utilize to help solve that problem. I don't care to debate why I want to be an engineer. I'm going for it. Don't try to talk me out of it through some selfish desire to help me. It's not helping me it's only helping you feel better by thinking your helping but you aren't.

ohwilleke is one of if the only one to post actual solutions.

• Informative
Likes BvU
SeasonalBeef said:
You did ask for opinions and it would be unusual if all opinions were the same as yours. We, as Engineers mostly, gave reasons why we took it up. We also have collective experience of people who were not suited to real world Engineering. From your answers, I feel your attitude to and experience of the subject may not be altogether suitable. That is not a criticism, any more than suggesting someone with size 12 feet would probably find size 8 shoes not very comfortable.
But seriously, you have to make up your own mind, based on information that will be available from any college that's worth going to. Good luck.

Likes russ_watters and BvU
SeasonalBeef said:

The question and the response are two very different things. Your liking to solve chemical equations or written reactions is still a good thing. Now go back and think about the QUESTION. Do you like to MIX different chemicals (or other materials) to see what happens?

SeasonalBeef said:
IM GOING INTO ENGINEERING. and my whole thread, this whole thread about which field should I go into, is all based on my need for control. I want to have a road map. And idea. A way to navigate towards what I may want to do.
Very important is to identify specific parts of Engineering you want to participate in, as you go. You would soon need to know what specific jobs you want to do, as an engineer.

SeasonalBeef said:
But look at ohwilleke's reply in reply #15. I presented a problem they presented tools and resources I could utilize to help solve that problem. I don't care to debate why I want to be an engineer. I'm going for it. Don't try to talk me out of it through some selfish desire to help me. It's not helping me it's only helping you feel better by thinking your helping but you aren't.

If you look carefully, objectively, and dispassionately at my Reply #23 and StatGuy2000's follow-up Reply #55, you would realize that they do give you a method for deciding what field of engineering (if any) would best suit you. But since my advice is not welcome, I will wish you luck, and drop out of this thread.

Likes russ_watters
Let me be uncharacteristically positive. Making life decisions is difficult and far from foolproof. They are nearly always impossible to guarantee as to correctness. But the act of deciding is a really important step, and allows other decisions to follow.
You have chosen engineering. Your background does not scream "engineering" to me but what the f*** do I know about you. You need to pursue it with energy. If you don't know exactly which flavor then choose the one that has the stiffest math and physics requirements (it will be easier to switch if desired). But do not foreclose any opportunity because "the decision is made" You have no idea what the future will offer.

A favorite from Teddy Roosevelt:

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing."

Last edited:
Likes BvU, russ_watters, Astronuc and 1 other person
hutchphd said:
Let me be uncharacteristically positive. Making life decisions is difficult and far from foolproof. They are nearly always impossible to guarantee as to correctness. But the act of deciding is a really important step, and allows other decisions to follow.
You have chosen engineering. Your background does not scream "engineering" to me but what the f*** do I know about you. You need to pursue it with energy. If you don't know exactly which flavor then choose the one that has the stiffest math and physics requirements (it will be easier to switch if desired). But do not foreclose any opportunity because "the decision is made" You have no idea what the future will offer.

A favorite from Teddy Roosevelt:

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing."

"Your background does not scream "engineering" to me"

I don't have an engineering background by why is that necessary? I mean I'm good at math and science and I like it. To me that's enough. If I were however to go into a field I have background in then it would be a live in care taker as I spent a lot of time doing that for my mom who was bedridden most of the time especially after my dad died. But I don't want to that. I did it out of nessessity. My life was on hold for a long time almost right out of high school.

I don't get the whole need to have an engineering background to pursue engineering. Maybe it's something that I feel is right for me. Plus math and science are my best subject.

"If you don't know exactly which flavor then choose the one that has the stiffest math and physics requirements"

I would like to take more chemistry classes than what is normally required. I really really like chemistry. Though I find more enjoyment in the lectures than I do the lab. Not to say lab is boring, it's fun just the lecture part I get more enthralled in.

SeasonalBeef said:
"Your background does not scream "engineering" to me"

I don't have an engineering background by why is that necessary? I mean I'm good at math and science and I like it. To me that's enough. If I were however to go into a field I have background in then it would be a live in care taker as I spent a lot of time doing that for my mom who was bedridden most of the time especially after my dad died. But I don't want to that. I did it out of nessessity. My life was on hold for a long time almost right out of high school.

I don't get the whole need to have an engineering background to pursue engineering. Maybe it's something that I feel is right for me. Plus math and science are my best subject.

"If you don't know exactly which flavor then choose the one that has the stiffest math and physics requirements"

I would like to take more chemistry classes than what is normally required. I really really like chemistry. Though I find more enjoyment in the lectures than I do the lab. Not to say lab is boring, it's fun just the lecture part I get more enthralled in.
I cannot find a "Reaction" to click , and I do not know how to react. If you believe that Engineering is the choice you want to make, then make that choice and follow the program which your counselors guide you into. You WILL NEED to make your own choices as you go.

Your "engineering background" will just have to be what you do from now until you finally graduate with an Engineering degree. You are starting late, and catching-up is a very difficult thing to do. Much more needs to be said about this; but I am not ready to continue such right now in this topic.