Identical bulbs, rank by brightness

In summary, the experts have determined that in this circuit, bulbs A and C will have equal brightness, while bulb B will have no brightness due to the lack of a closed path for current to flow through. This is known as an "open circuit" and is important to understand in the study of resistors and circuitry.
kamhogo

Homework Statement

Which bulb(s) will have the higher light intensity?

Homework Equations

Resistors:
Connection in series: same current
Connection in parallel: same delta V

The Attempt at a Solution

A and C are in series. They'll be equally bright. B is not connected to the negative terminal of the battery. no current will pass through it. Hence A=B>C

Physics news on Phys.org
tmp_27523-20160409_2030471282769602.jpg
kamhogo said:

Homework Statement

Which bulb(s) will have the higher light intensity?

Homework Equations

Resistors:
Connection in series: same current
Connection in parallel: same delta V

The Attempt at a Solution

A and C are in series. They'll be equally bright. B is not connected to the negative terminal of the battery. no current will pass through it. Hence A=B>C

I agree with your answer and reasoning.

Likes kamhogo
kamhogo said:
Hence A=B>C
huh ?

phinds said:
huh ?
Incorrect??

kamhogo said:
Incorrect??
well, what do you mean by it? What it says to me is very literal, A equals B and either both are greater than C or at least B is greater than C. I don't see how you get that from what's going on. Do you mean something else?

phinds said:
well, what do you mean by it? What it says to me is very literal, A equals B and either both are greater than C or at least B is greater than C. I don't see how you get that from what's going on. Do you mean something else?
I mean that A and B are equally bright and that both are brighter than C

kamhogo said:
I mean that A and B are equally bright and that both are brighter than C
Yes, that's what I thought. Is that really what's happening?

phinds said:
Yes, that's what I thought. Is that really what's happening?
Sorry, I was confused. I meant A=C>B. Also, is there any current passing through B at all?

kamhogo said:
Sorry, I was confused. I meant A=C>B.
Yes, that makes sense.

Also, is there any current passing through B at all?
what do you think?

phinds said:
Yes, that makes sense.

what do you think?
I think there's no current passing through B at all. My reasoning: why would the electrons go through path with a resistor that does not lead to the negative terminal of the battery when they have the choice to take a resistless (ideally) path that leads to the negative terminal of the battery.

kamhogo said:
I think there's no current passing through B at all.

My reasoning: why would the electrons go through path with a resistor that does not lead to the negative terminal of the battery when they have the choice to take a resistless (ideally) path that leads to the negative terminal of the battery.
I don't understand this. Can you explain?

kamhogo said:
I think there's no current passing through B at all. My reasoning: why would the electrons go through path with a resistor that does not lead to the negative terminal of the battery when they have the choice to take a resistless (ideally) path that leads to the negative terminal of the battery.
Your answer is correct. Have you studied what an "open circuit" is?

cnh1995 said:
Your answer is correct. Have you studied what an "open circuit" is?
Not yet, but I am curious. I'll look it up. Is it when there is a gap somewhere on the circuit so the current pass? What is it useful for?

kamhogo said:
Not yet, but I am curious. I'll look it up. Is it when there is a gap somewhere on the circuit so the current pass? What is it useful for?
It is the technical term for a "gap" in the circuit, so current can't flow through it.
A circuit needs to be closed for the flow of current. Here, no current flows through bulb B since there's no closed path.

Likes kamhogo

Related to Identical bulbs, rank by brightness

1. How can I determine which identical bulbs are the brightest?

The best way to determine which identical bulbs are the brightest is by measuring their luminosity or brightness using a light meter. This will give you an accurate numerical value for each bulb's brightness, allowing you to rank them accordingly.

2. Can I rely on the wattage or voltage of a bulb to determine its brightness?

No, wattage and voltage are not reliable indicators of a bulb's brightness. These measurements only indicate the amount of energy a bulb consumes, not how bright it will be. Bulbs with the same wattage or voltage can have different levels of brightness.

3. Are there any other factors besides luminosity that can affect a bulb's brightness?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect a bulb's brightness, such as the type of bulb (incandescent, LED, etc.), the color temperature, and the age of the bulb. These factors can impact the perceived brightness of a bulb even if they are identical in terms of luminosity.

4. Can I compare the brightness of different types of bulbs using the same measurement?

Yes, you can use the same measurement of luminosity to compare the brightness of different types of bulbs. This is because luminosity is a standardized unit of measurement that takes into account the human eye's sensitivity to different wavelengths of light.

5. How do I account for differences in brightness due to placement or directionality of the bulbs?

If you are comparing the brightness of identical bulbs, it is important to keep them in the same position and direction to ensure accurate results. This is because the brightness of light can vary depending on the angle and distance from the light source. To minimize these differences, make sure the bulbs are placed and facing the same direction when measuring their brightness.