Transformer and the brightness of bulbs

In summary, the brightness of bulb A in the given picture is four times as bright as bulb B. This can be determined by using Faraday's law and Ohm's law, and noting that the winding ratio steps up the current by a factor of four. Therefore, the correct answer is D) four times as bright as bulb B.
Biker

Homework Statement

The brightness of the bulb A in the following picture equals:
A) half of the bulb B brightness
B) equal to bulb B brightness
C) Twice as bright as bulb B
D) four times as bright as bulb B
K5whs2l.png

Homework Equations

Ohms law
Conservation of energy
Faraday's law

The Attempt at a Solution

Now you can find the voltage of Bulb A by using faradays law and it will equal to 60 volts
Then you can find that ##I_{bulb A} = 4 I_{bulb B} ##
Using ## I_s V_s = I_p V_p ##
So you will choose D, That is the answer for the question. But that doesn't make sense. (It is an old exam problem ._.)

But my thinking was, Both of these bulbs use the same energy per second so they should glow with the same brightness, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Biker said:
Now you can find the voltage of Bulb A by using faradays law and it will equal to 60 volts

Ok so perhaps I'm a bit rusty but how did you do that without knowing the resistance of the bulb?

I got answer D by noting that the winding ratio steps up the current by a factor of four. Without needing to make your first step of finding the voltage.

Power = I^2R and I assume R is the same unknown resistance for both bulbs.

CWatters said:
Ok so perhaps I'm a bit rusty but how did you do that without knowing the resistance of the bulb?

I get answer D by noting that the winding ratio steps up the current by a factor of
Yes it steps up the current by a factor of 4 but is the current the only thing that brightness depend on? Or power?
Because if it depends on power the brightness will be the same which seems more intuitive to me.

Using this equation:
## \frac{V_s}{N_s} = \frac{V_p}{N_p} ##

Biker said:
Yes it steps up the current by a factor of 4 but is the current the only thing that brightness depend on? Or power? Because if it depends on power the brightness will be the same which seems more intuitive to me.

The power isn't the same in each bulb.

In one it's I2R and in the other it's 4I2R

Biker said:
But my thinking was, Both of these bulbs use the same energy per second..

They don't dissipate the same energy per second (aka power).

If the transformer is ideal then yes the power going into the transformer = power coming out. However...

Yes the power dissipated in bulb B A does equal the power coming out.

But the power dissipated in bulb A B doesn't equal the power going into the transformer. That's because the voltage on A B isn't the same as the transformer primary voltage Vp.

Last edited:
Likes Biker
Yep sorry my bad, I guess I haven't focused a bit on this.

So the voltage in bulb A is ## 0.25(V_s -V_{bulb B}) ## that is why the voltage isn't the same

Just one last question, Why did you say ## 4 I^2_b R ## instead of ## 16I^2_b R ## ?

Deleted for reason stated in next post.

I made a mistake in post 5 and 7. I got Bulb A and B around the wrong way around. See strike outs and corrections.

CWatters said:
I don't follow that. The voltage on bulb B is the same as the secondary voltage.
But secondary voltage is equal to ##4I_b R## while the voltage of bulb B is equal to ## I_b R ##
Using KVL
##V_{source} - V_b = V_p##
Then using Faraday's law you get
## 0.25 V_p = V_{secondary} ##
## 0.25 (V_{source} - V_b) = V_{secondary} ##

Looks like I was correcting my earlier post while you were typing.

Anyway..

Biker said:
So the voltage in bulb A is 0.25(Vs−VbulbB) that is why the voltage isn't the same

Yes that's correct.

Just one last question, Why did you say 4I2bR4Ib2R 4 I^2_b R instead of 16I2bR16Ib2R 16I^2_b R ?

You are correct I forgot to square the current when I did power = I^2R

So none of the answers are correct.

Likes Biker
Thank you as always CWatters, Much appreciated :D

No problems. Sorry I didn't pick up my errors sooner. Been a bit distracted.

Likes Biker

Related to Transformer and the brightness of bulbs

1. How does a transformer affect the brightness of bulbs?

A transformer is a device that changes the voltage of an electrical circuit. In the case of a light bulb, the transformer lowers the voltage from the main power source to the appropriate level for the bulb. This affects the brightness of the bulb because the intensity of light is directly related to the voltage supplied to the bulb. A higher voltage will result in a brighter bulb, while a lower voltage will result in a dimmer bulb.

2. Can a transformer make a bulb brighter than its maximum wattage?

No, a transformer cannot make a bulb brighter than its maximum wattage. The maximum wattage of a bulb is determined by its design and can't be exceeded without risking damage to the bulb or the transformer. It is important to use bulbs with the correct wattage for the transformer to ensure safe and efficient operation.

3. How does the type of transformer affect the brightness of bulbs?

The type of transformer can affect the brightness of bulbs in a few ways. Firstly, the type of transformer can impact the efficiency of the voltage change, which can affect the brightness of the bulb. Additionally, different types of transformers may have different voltage outputs, which can also impact the brightness of the bulb. It is important to choose the right type of transformer for the intended use and to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

4. Why do some bulbs flicker when using a transformer?

Bulbs may flicker when using a transformer due to fluctuations in the voltage being supplied to the bulb. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a faulty transformer, loose wiring, or overloading the transformer. It is important to troubleshoot and address these issues to ensure the safe and proper functioning of the bulbs and transformer.

5. Can a transformer affect the lifespan of bulbs?

Yes, a transformer can affect the lifespan of bulbs. If the voltage supplied by the transformer is too high, it can cause the bulb to burn out more quickly. On the other hand, if the voltage is too low, it can cause the bulb to become dim or not light up at all. It is important to use a properly functioning transformer and to follow the recommended voltage for the bulbs to ensure their longevity.