The rheostat and the brightness of the bulbs

In summary, the brightness of bulb A will decrease and the brightness of bulb B will remain the same when the wiper moves from point X to point Y in the circuit shown in the figure. This is due to the decrease in resistance and increase in current intensity in bulb A's branch, while bulb B's branch remains unaffected. The book's incorrect answer may be due to a printing error.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

In the circuit shown in the figure, what will happen to the brightness of bulb A and bulb B when the wiper moves from point X to point Y?
Y0G6W.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
When the wiper moves towards Y we get smaller resistance, hence the current intensity rises, so the brightness of A increases.
I think the brightness of B will increase too, as the current passing in its branch will increase.

I am not sure about my answer, what's your opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer.

cnh1995 said:
I agree with your answer.
I have just found that my book provides the answer, it is: brightness of bulb A decreases and the brightness of bulb B doesn't change, but there is no explanation.

Asmaa Mohammad said:
I have just found that my book provides the answer, it is: brightness of bulb A decreases and the brightness of bulb B doesn't change, but there is no explanation.
That's wrong.
Maybe this is the answer to some other similar question and the book just printed it at the wrong place.

Likes Asmaa Mohammad

Related to The rheostat and the brightness of the bulbs

1. How does the rheostat affect the brightness of the bulbs?

The rheostat controls the flow of electricity to the bulbs. By increasing or decreasing the resistance, the amount of current flowing through the bulbs changes, resulting in a change in brightness.

2. Why do the bulbs get brighter when the rheostat is turned up?

As the resistance decreases, more current can flow through the bulbs, causing them to light up more brightly.

3. Can I use a rheostat with any type of bulb?

Yes, as long as the voltage and wattage of the bulb is compatible with the rheostat. It is important to check the specifications of both before using them together.

4. Is there a limit to how bright the bulbs can get with a rheostat?

Yes, there is a limit to how much current can pass through the bulbs before they burn out. It is important to use a rheostat that can handle the maximum current of the bulbs to avoid damaging them.

5. How can I calculate the resistance needed for a specific brightness level?

The resistance needed will vary depending on the voltage and wattage of the bulbs. It is best to consult a circuit diagram or use a multimeter to measure the current and calculate the resistance needed for your desired brightness level.