I have so many talents I'm literally confused what to do

In summary, the person speaking is good in academics and loves physics. They pursued it and got their BS and MS in physics. During their studies, they also became interested in writing and SEO, as well as music. They became a skilled drummer and also started freelance content writing and SEO, earning thousands of dollars. They are currently tutoring physics and are struggling to decide what to pursue in the future.
Suraj9213
I know it may sound a bit cocky but it's true. I was good in academics since school time and I loved physics, so i pursued it. Got my BS and MS in physics. During my course of studies, I got interested in writing and SEO (Search Engine Optimization). I also like music and gave drumming a shot.
Now, here's what happened...
I practiced drumming so much that ultimately I became the best drummer in my city in 2014, got confused whether to pursue physics or drumming?
I started freelance content writing and SEO and got so good at it so quickly that I in fact earn thousands of dollars doing that till this date.
I've always been good in physics and right now tutoring physics to senior secondary classes, earning good money there too.
So to sum up, I'm good in drumming, great in content writing and SEO and knows physics like the back of my hand. I'm 24 and truly finding it difficult to decide what to pursue in future... HELP!

Likes cnh1995
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume you have a bright idea in each of the topics late in the evening. You make some sketches, because it's late and you are tired. When you wake up the next morning which topic will make you sit down and work on it whether it's a pleasure or not, because to work something out isn't as satisfactory as having an idea. Or is it the case with one of them?

I've once been told that a genius isn't someone with extraordinary talent, it is sitting down and working on it the tough way. I think there is much truth to it.

Likes Suraj9213, Hoophy and rikblok
Sounds like you need to work on your decisiveness. You need to decide what you want to do, then do it.

"Happiness is when what the world needs intersects with what you can offer."

Relevant podcast about sayings/proverbs/memes: https://soundcloud.com/crackedpod/famous-sayings-you-should-stop-listening-to -- basically it's about how memes tend to spread based on their catchiness rather than their accuracy (for example: "Don't judge a book by it's cover" is generally bad advice).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever read "Spoon River Anthology" ? It's a fictional collection of backward looks at life, some squandered and others well spent.

These two are on facing pages... i wonder why

59. Cooney Potter I INHERITED forty acres from my Father
And, by working my wife, my two sons and two daughters
From dawn to dusk, I acquired
A thousand acres. But not content,
Wishing to own two thousand acres, 5
I bustled through the years with axe and plow,
Toiling, denying myself, my wife, my sons, my daughters.
Squire Higbee wrongs me to say
That I died from smoking Red Eagle cigars.
Eating hot pie and gulping coffee 10
During the scorching hours of harvest time
Brought me here ere I had reached my sixtieth year.
60. Fiddler Jones THE EARTH keeps some vibration going
There in your heart, and that is you.
And if the people find you can fiddle,
Why, fiddle you must, for all your life.
What do you see, a harvest of clover? 5
Or a meadow to walk through to the river?
The wind’s in the corn; you rub your hands
For beeves hereafter ready for market;
Or else you hear the rustle of skirts
Like the girls when dancing at Little Grove. 10
To Cooney Potter a pillar of dust
Or whirling leaves meant ruinous drouth;
They looked to me like Red-Head Sammy
Stepping it off, to “Toor-a-Loor.”
How could I till my forty acres 15
Not to speak of getting more,
With a medley of horns, bassoons and piccolos
Stirred in my brain by crows and robins
And the creak of a wind-mill—only these?
And I never started to plow in my life 20
That some one did not stop in the road
And take me away to a dance or picnic.
I ended up with forty acres;
I ended up with a broken fiddle—
And a broken laugh, and a thousand memories, 25
And not a single regret.

You seem to set out to do something and achieve success, so that is something good.

So now, you can sit on the fence for a while, but time passes quickly.
When the choice is made, whatever it is, realize that it is the Right choice.

Likes Suraj9213
Suraj9213 said:
I know it may sound a bit cocky but it's true. I was good in academics since school time and I loved physics, so i pursued it. Got my BS and MS in physics. During my course of studies, I got interested in writing and SEO (Search Engine Optimization). I also like music and gave drumming a shot.
Now, here's what happened...
I practiced drumming so much that ultimately I became the best drummer in my city in 2014, got confused whether to pursue physics or drumming?
I started freelance content writing and SEO and got so good at it so quickly that I in fact earn thousands of dollars doing that till this date.
I've always been good in physics and right now tutoring physics to senior secondary classes, earning good money there too.
So to sum up, I'm good in drumming, great in content writing and SEO and knows physics like the back of my hand. I'm 24 and truly finding it difficult to decide what to pursue in future... HELP!
If you're making a living doing what you're doing right now, and you're happy, then I'm confused about why you're confused. If you're simply looking for a new hobby, then the obvious choice is to learn another instrument, or learn about what's currently being done in your favorite branch of physics and continue your academic career in that area. As Russ mentioned, if you have many different talents then make a decision and go with it!

fresh_42 said:
Assume you have a bright idea in each of the topics late in the evening. You make some sketches, because it's late and you are tired. When you wake up the next morning which topic will make you sit down and work on it whether it's a pleasure or not, because to work something out isn't as satisfactory as having an idea. Or is it the case with one of them?

I've once been told that a genius isn't someone with extraordinary talent, it is sitting down and working on it the tough way. I think there is much truth to it.
Great advice... thank you!

Related to I have so many talents I'm literally confused what to do

1. What are some common signs of having multiple talents?

Some common signs of having multiple talents include excelling in various areas, feeling passionate about multiple interests, and having a natural ability to learn new skills quickly.

2. How can I determine which talent to pursue?

One way to determine which talent to pursue is to consider which one brings you the most joy and fulfillment. You can also assess which talent aligns with your values and goals.

3. Is it possible to develop and improve upon multiple talents?

Yes, it is possible to develop and improve upon multiple talents with dedication, practice, and a growth mindset. It may require time management and prioritization, but it is achievable.

4. What are the benefits of having multiple talents?

Having multiple talents can lead to a more fulfilling and diverse life, as well as increased adaptability and resilience. It can also open up more opportunities for personal and professional growth.

5. How can I use my multiple talents to my advantage?

You can use your multiple talents to your advantage by finding ways to combine them in unique and creative ways, expanding your skill set, and leveraging your strengths in different areas. Networking and seeking out mentors can also help guide you in utilizing your talents effectively.