I am having trouble with 2 volume and a profit problems?

• Thread starter rockstar14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation was about three math problems involving constructing boxes and maximizing profit for a manufacturer. The first problem dealt with finding the dimensions of a rectangular box with a square base that would require the least amount of material for a given volume. The second problem involved finding the dimensions of an open rectangular box made from a piece of cardboard by cutting congruent squares from the corners. And the third problem dealt with determining the maximum profit for a manufacturer by considering the cost and price of producing a certain number of MP3 players. The steps for solving each problem were also discussed, but it was noted that these problems should be posted in the Homework & Coursework section for help.
rockstar14
I need help solving these problems. My teacher gave me these as examples to practice on for an upcoming test and I am really in need of some help. So if anyone is willing to explain each one and work them out from start to finish. I would greatly appreciate it!

1. A rectangular box with a square base and open top is to be constructed to have a volume of 108m cubed. What are the dimensions of the box that will require the least amount of material?

2. An open rectangular box is to be made from a 24in. by 9in. rectangular piece of cardboard by cutting congruent squares from the corners and folding up the sides. What are the dimensions of the box with the largest volume that can be made?

3. A manufacturer determines that in order to sell x mp3 players, the price per player must be p=740-x. The total cost of producing x players is C(x)=5000+100x. How many players must the manufacturer produce in order to maximaze profit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Steps for Problem 1:
1. Let "h" be the height of the box, "a" the side of the square.
Formulate, as an equation, what it means that the volume equals 108!

2. The amount of material is measured by the total surface area.
Set up the function, of "a" and "h" that measures the total surface area!

3. Utilize the result in 1. to eliminate one of your variables, in order to transform the result in 2. into a function of ONE variable.

4. try to minimize the value of THAT function, gained in 3.

As for Problem 2:
Call the side in the congruent sqeares "x".
What becomes the length, breadth and height for a box in that case, and what is the wolume function, in terms of "x"?

rockstar14,
These appear to be homework problems, so they should be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not here in the math technical section.

Please repost each problem in its own thread, and include the work you have done.

I am locking this thread.
Mark44

1. What are the two main factors that affect volume and profit?

The two main factors that affect volume and profit are demand and cost. Demand refers to the amount of a product or service that consumers are willing to purchase at a given price, while cost refers to the expenses incurred in producing the product or service.

2. How does demand affect volume and profit?

Demand has a direct impact on both volume and profit. When demand for a product or service is high, volume increases as more units are sold. This can also lead to higher profits if the cost of producing each unit remains the same. On the other hand, low demand can result in lower volume and profits.

3. What is the relationship between volume and profit?

The relationship between volume and profit is often described as a positive correlation. This means that as volume increases, profit also increases. However, this is not always the case as factors such as cost, competition, and market conditions can also influence profit.

4. How can I improve volume and profit?

There are a few strategies that can help improve both volume and profit. One approach is to increase demand through marketing and advertising efforts. Another is to reduce costs by finding more efficient ways to produce the product or service. Additionally, exploring new markets or expanding into new product lines can also lead to growth in both volume and profit.

5. What are common challenges when dealing with volume and profit problems?

Common challenges when dealing with volume and profit problems include accurately forecasting demand, managing costs, and staying competitive in the market. It is also important to consider external factors such as economic conditions and consumer behavior. Additionally, finding a balance between volume and profit can be tricky as increasing one may require sacrificing the other.