Problem with creating a formula

• Thread starter anthroxy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the largest volume of a folded box with dimensions a and b and height x. The solution involves creating a function to describe the volume, deriving it to find the maximum point, and determining the values of x that cannot be part of the solution. The formula for calculating x in order to get the maximum volume is x = (a+b)/6.
anthroxy

Homework Statement

a) We have a folded box shaped like a rectangle with the length b and width a. The box has four squares that we fold up, these squares are the height of the box x. Choose a couple of values for length b and width a and decide what x has to be in order for the box to have the largest volume.

b) Produce a formula that enables you to calculate what x has to be in order to get the largest volume when only given the length a and width b.

Length: b-2x
Width: a-2x
Height: x

Attempt 1: a= 20 b= 5
Attempt 2: a= 10 b= 5
Attempt 3: a= 40 b= 20

The Attempt at a Solution

1. First i got to make a function that describes the volume of the box
2. Derive the function in order to find the maximum point of the function
3. Find out which x-values that can't be a part of the solution (this is where my first problem lies) for example that x > 0 but can't be larger than...
4. If both x values are a part of the solution, then find out which one lies at a maximum point and finding the y coordinate by inserting the x value into the normal function.

Attempt 1:

y= x(b-2x*a-2x)
y= x(ab + b*-2x + a*-2x +4x^2)

I then chose a = 20 b = 5 (measured in cm) this gave me

y= x(20*5 +5*-2x -20*-2x +4x^2)
y= 4x^3 -50x^2 +100x
y´= 12x^2 -100x +100
y´= x^2 - 25/3x + 25/3

When solving the equation using the quadratic formula i get x= 1,16 and x= 7,16 and when searching for the maximum point i get that when x= 1,16 we're at a maximum point which gives us y = 54,94. The maximum volume being 54,94cm^3 when x = 1,16.

Attempt 2:

a= 10
b=5

On attempt 2 i got x = 3,94 and x= 1,05 and the maximum point was at x= 1,05 and y= 54,5

Attempt 3:

a= 40
b= 20

On attempt 3 i got x= 15,77 x= 4,22 and the maximum point was at x= 4,22 and y= 1539,59.

b) This is where my problem lies, creating a formula where i only need a and b to get what x needs to be in order to get the maximum volume

Thanks in advance Mathmen

Physics news on Phys.org
I solved thanks anyways

Related to Problem with creating a formula

What is a formula and why is it important?

A formula is a mathematical expression used to describe a relationship between variables. It is important because it allows us to make predictions, solve problems, and understand patterns in data.

What are the common problems encountered when creating a formula?

Some common problems include incorrect assumptions, errors in data collection, and oversimplification. It's also important to consider the limitations of a formula and its applicability to different scenarios.

How can I ensure that my formula is accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to carefully select and analyze data, use appropriate mathematical techniques, and validate the formula with real-world data. Seeking feedback and peer review can also help identify any potential errors.

What should I do if my formula does not fit the data?

If your formula does not fit the data, it could be due to incorrect assumptions, missing variables, or a flawed mathematical approach. It's important to review your methodology and data carefully and make necessary adjustments to improve the accuracy of your formula.

Can a formula be used to solve all problems?

No, a formula is a simplified representation of a complex relationship and it may not be applicable to all situations. It's important to use critical thinking and consider the limitations and assumptions of a formula before applying it to a problem.