Optimization: Absolute Maxima

In summary: Yes, but those four squares will be thrown away and do NOT form the box. If the cardboard was 8 inches long, and you cut off squares of side x on both ends, what length is left? If the cardboard was 12 inches wide and you cut off squares of side x on both ends what width is left? When fold the sides up, what will the height of the box be?
undrcvrbro

Homework Statement

I remember doing something very similar to this in pre-calc, but I don't know where to get started.

A candy box is to be made out of a piece of cardboard that measures 8 by 12 inches. Squares of equal size will be cit out of each corner, and then the ends and sides will be folded in order to form a rectangular box. What size should be cut from each square to obtain a maximum volume.

My only issue is finding the equation to use in the problem.

Homework Equations

We're studying max and min if that helps. I have to find an equation from this information to apply to the Extreme Value Theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if the side of the squares that are cut out of the rectangle are each of length "x", then couldn't one say that that because there are four squares it would be 4x^2? That's all I can think of as far as an equation goes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but those four squares will be thrown away and do NOT form the box. If the cardboard was 8 inches long, and you cut off squares of side x on both ends, what length is left? If the cardboard was 12 inches wide and you cut off squares of side x on both ends what width is left? When fold the sides up, what will the height of the box be?

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, but those four squares will be thrown away and do NOT form the box. If the cardboard was 8 inches long, and you cut off squares of side x on both ends, what length is left? If the cardboard was 12 inches wide and you cut off squares of side x on both ends what width is left? When fold the sides up, what will the height of the box be?
Ahh, I see. So because the Volume of a rectangular box is (length*width*height) would the equation be V(x) = x(8-2x)(12-2x)?

Related to Optimization: Absolute Maxima

1. What is optimization?

Optimization is the process of finding the best possible solution for a problem, given a set of constraints and objectives.

2. What is absolute maxima?

Absolute maxima is the highest possible value of a function within a given range. It is the global maximum value, meaning that it is the largest value of the function for the entire range.

3. How is absolute maxima different from local maxima?

Local maxima is the largest value of a function within a small interval, while absolute maxima is the largest value of a function for the entire range. Local maxima may occur multiple times within a range, but there can only be one absolute maxima.

4. What is the process for finding the absolute maxima of a function?

The process for finding the absolute maxima of a function involves taking the first derivative of the function, setting it equal to 0, and solving for the critical points. Then, plug in the critical points and the endpoints of the given range into the original function to find the maximum value.

5. What are some real-world applications of optimization and absolute maxima?

Optimization and absolute maxima are used in various fields, such as engineering, economics, and data analysis. Examples include finding the most efficient route for a delivery truck, maximizing profits for a business, and determining the best parameters for a machine learning algorithm.