How Can You Optimize Material in Manufacturing Open-Top Square Base Boxes?

In summary, the problem involves constructing 10,000 open-top boxes with a square base and a 9 cubic foot capacity using a single 100 square feet sheet of metal. The dimensions of the inner square to be cut are represented by x, with a base of (10-2x) and a height of x. This leads to a cubic equation that can be solved using numerical methods, resulting in three solutions. However, only two of these solutions are feasible for creating the desired boxes.
Lurid

Homework Statement

Suppose that you are the manager of a sheet metal shop. A customer asks you to manufacture 10,000 boxes, each box being open on the top. The boxes are required to have a square base and a 9 cubic foot capacity. You construct the boxes by cutting out a square from each corner of a square piece of metal and folding along the edges. What are the dimensions of the square to be cut if the area of the square piece of sheet metal is 100 square feet?

Homework Equations

_|____|_
..|...|
_|____|_
x|...|

Let x = the dimension of the square you cut out. Then the dimension of the inner square is (10 - 2x).
The box has a base of (10 - 2x) by (10 - 2x) and a height of x.

The Attempt at a Solution

(10-2x)2x=9
4x^3-40x^2+100x-9=0

I'm not sure if I'm even interpreting this problem correctly, because I can't even factor it. I think the part that's throwing me off is the "10,000 boxes" that must be made. I'm not sure how to add it into the equation. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lurid said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that you are the manager of a sheet metal shop. A customer asks you to manufacture 10,000 boxes, each box being open on the top. The boxes are required to have a square base and a 9 cubic foot capacity. You construct the boxes by cutting out a square from each corner of a square piece of metal and folding along the edges. What are the dimensions of the square to be cut if the area of the square piece of sheet metal is 100 square feet?

Homework Equations

_|____|_
..|...|
_|____|_
x|...|

Let x = the dimension of the square you cut out. Then the dimension of the inner square is (10 - 2x).

(10-2x)2x=9
4x^3-40x^2+100x-9=0

I'm not sure if I'm even interpreting this problem correctly, because I can't even factor it. I think the part that's throwing me off is the "10,000 boxes" that must be made. I'm not sure how to add it into the equation. Any help is appreciated!

You have left out a critical piece of information. Surely the problem must require that your boxes use the minimum amount of metal. You need to write the equation for what you are trying to minimize.

Lurid said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

_|____|_
..|...|
_|____|_
x|...|

(10-2x)2x=9
4x^3-40x^2+100x-9=0

The 10,000 boxes have nothing to do with the problem---as it was stated. You need to solve a cubic equation; there are formulas for doing that, but using a numerical method is easier. There are three solutions; one of them has 2*x > 10 so is not usable; the other two lead to feasible, but ridiculous boxes (either very tall and skinny or very short and fat).

BTW: your title "systems of linear equations" is highly misleading: you don't have a system of equations, and your equation is not linear.

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
The 10,000 boxes have nothing to do with the problem---as it was stated. You need to solve a cubic equation; there are formulas for doing that, but using a numerical method is easier. There are three solutions; one of them has 2*x > 10 so is not usable; the other two lead to feasible, but ridiculous boxes (either very tall and skinny or very short and fat).

BTW: your title "systems of linear equations" is highly misleading: you don't have a system of equations, and your equation is not linear.

RGV

I'm still kinda confused. I have a cubic equation, but I can't simplify it any further. It also doesn't really make sense to me theoretically speaking, because how can you make a box that is 9 cubic feet with a 100 square feet sheet metal? Is it even possible? I'm still kinda convinced that my method is wrong.

Ah, sorry if it's misleading, but it's a problem under the section "Systems of Nonlinear Equations" in my math textbook. I guess it would be fitting?

Edit:
Oops! It's supposed to be 'nonlinear', not 'linear.
And here's the problem from my textbook, if it makes any difference.
http://i49.tinypic.com/21m6whz.jpg

Last edited:
Read Ray Vickson's response again, particularly:
"You need to solve a cubic equation; there are formulas for doing that, but using a numerical method is easier. There are three solutions; one of them has 2*x > 10 so is not usable; the other two lead to feasible, but ridiculous boxes (either very tall and skinny or very short and fat). "

Lurid said:
I'm still kinda confused. I have a cubic equation, but I can't simplify it any further. It also doesn't really make sense to me theoretically speaking, because how can you make a box that is 9 cubic feet with a 100 square feet sheet metal? Is it even possible? I'm still kinda convinced that my method is wrong.

Of course it is possible; solving the cubic equation will tell you how to do it.

Ah, sorry if it's misleading, but it's a problem under the section "Systems of Nonlinear Equations" in my math textbook. I guess it would be fitting?

Edit:
Oops! It's supposed to be 'nonlinear', not 'linear.
And here's the problem from my textbook, if it makes any difference.
http://i49.tinypic.com/21m6whz.jpg

Part (b) leads to a much more interesting problem, but one that requires calculus methods to find the best design. (Just for the record, the solution would be to use square sheets of area 24.53112800 sq. ft.--which is a square with sides of length 4.952890873 ft--and to cut out corners of length 0.8254818122 ft. This would minimize the total area of all sheets used.)

RGV

Related to How Can You Optimize Material in Manufacturing Open-Top Square Base Boxes?

What are systems of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more linear equations with multiple variables. The goal is to find values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system simultaneously.

What is the difference between a consistent and inconsistent system of linear equations?

A consistent system of linear equations has at least one solution, meaning the equations intersect at a single point. An inconsistent system has no solutions, meaning the equations are parallel and do not intersect.

How do you solve systems of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving systems of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method involves manipulating the equations to isolate a variable and then substituting that value into the other equations to find the solution.

Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have infinitely many solutions if the equations are equivalent, meaning they represent the same line. If the equations are not equivalent, the system can have one unique solution or no solution at all.

What are real-world applications of systems of linear equations?

Systems of linear equations are used in various fields, such as engineering, economics, and physics, to model and solve real-world problems. They can be used to optimize production processes, predict market trends, and analyze motion and forces in physical systems.