How would you rank these graduate schools?

In summary: UC Berkley would be #2, UC San Diego would be #3, Northwestern would be #4, and University of Illinois Urbana Champaign would be #5.
hanson
Hello. I know that ranking is not everything and it really depends on particular research field and professors.
But I do want to get a rough picture on the overall reputation of these graduate schools at this stage.
For the field of mechanical engineering or applied mathematics, how would you rank these graduate schools?

MIT
UC Berkerley
UC San Diego
Northwestern University
Univerity of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
University of Michigan
Brown University
University of Washington
Univesrity of Arizona

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think the rankings would be the same in mechanical engineering as applied mathematics?

maybe he wants a ranking for both fields.

Actually I am applying to both disciplines and I hope people who know these two disciplines well could give me a general impression on how these schools are ranked.

Not too certain about the specific disciplines. You should check into the information they have online for each degree program at a minimum. College rankings are generally somewhat fallacious...

MIT is MIT.
Berkerley is Berkley. Although I believe they're stronger in the humanities and such.
Brown is pretty up there. Again, I think their reputation is more in the humanities.

U of Arizona spams too much. But their traditional campus is fine if you don't mind getting a spamalot logo on your diploma. Nifty physical optics program.

U of Washington is pretty damn solid for a public university. Their programs in medicine and related fields (bio/chem/etc) are what they have the biggest rep for, but they're strong in other engineering & sciences fields as well.Major factor for graduate school is potential advisers and their research projects / interests. You should be looking at this much more than for rankings. Going to a school that was high ranked in some magazine but where the faculty aren't working on what you're interested in is lol.

From what I've heard, MIT would be #1

Related to How would you rank these graduate schools?

1. What criteria do you use to rank graduate schools?

The criteria used to rank graduate schools can vary depending on the source. Some common factors that may be considered include program reputation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, job placement rates, and student satisfaction.

2. How do you determine the accuracy of your rankings?

Rankings are often determined by using a combination of data and surveys. Data may be gathered from sources such as the National Center for Education Statistics or the U.S. News & World Report. Surveys may be sent to current students, alumni, and faculty to gather their opinions and experiences.

3. Can a graduate school's ranking change over time?

Yes, a graduate school's ranking can change over time. Factors such as changes in faculty, program offerings, and funding can all impact a school's ranking. It's important to regularly review and update rankings to reflect any changes that may have occurred.

4. Is a higher ranked graduate school always the best choice?

Not necessarily. While a higher ranked graduate school may have a strong reputation and resources, it may not be the best fit for every individual. It's important to consider factors such as program offerings, location, and personal preferences when choosing a graduate school.

5. Are rankings the only factor to consider when choosing a graduate school?

No, rankings are not the only factor to consider when choosing a graduate school. It's important to also consider factors such as program offerings, faculty expertise, location, cost, and personal fit. Rankings can serve as a helpful starting point, but should not be the sole determining factor in choosing a graduate school.