How to check school ranking by field?

In summary: Other factors to consider would be the publication record of the faculty, how active the faculty is in their field of research, and the amount of money they are able to spend on research.
Opus_723
I've heard a lot about different schools having stellar reputations in certain subfields of physics, and that this likely matters more for career advancement than how "highly ranked" the school is overall. My question is, as someone who isn't currently plugged into an academic community, how can I find out what a particular school is known for within the active research community? I'm asking very generally, but in my particular situation I don't currently have professors of my own that I could ask. Just the internet. For very well-known institutions it's easy enough to find out by word of mouth on the internet, since they are constantly under discussion, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting any detailed info on smaller state schools.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Opus_723 said:
I've heard a lot about different schools having stellar reputations in certain subfields of physics, and that this likely matters more for career advancement than how "highly ranked" the school is overall. My question is, as someone who isn't currently plugged into an academic community, how can I find out what a particular school is known for within the active research community? I'm asking very generally, but in my particular situation I don't currently have professors of my own that I could ask. Just the internet. For very well-known institutions it's easy enough to find out by word of mouth on the internet, since they are constantly under discussion, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting any detailed info on smaller state schools.

Thanks!
Email the school. They'll be happy to toot their own horn and likely have a website that already does it.

What schools are you particularly interested in?

Sometimes by looking at the faculty you can discern that they specialize in some particular sub field. As an example, you might see several particle physicists working there so you could conclude that that is their specialty.

Likes Timo

Related to How to check school ranking by field?

1. How are school rankings determined?

School rankings are determined by various factors such as academic performance, faculty quality, research output, and student outcomes. Different ranking systems may use different criteria and weightings to calculate overall rankings.

2. Can I trust school rankings?

It is important to understand that school rankings are not absolute measures of quality and should be taken with a grain of salt. It is best to consider multiple rankings and also look at other factors such as program offerings, campus culture, and location when making a decision about a school.

3. Where can I find reliable school rankings?

There are several reputable organizations that publish school rankings, such as U.S. News & World Report, Times Higher Education, and QS World University Rankings. It is recommended to consult multiple sources to get a well-rounded view of a school's ranking.

4. How often are school rankings updated?

School rankings are typically updated on an annual basis, although some may be updated more frequently. It is important to check the date of the ranking to ensure it is the most recent version available.

5. Are school rankings the only important factor in choosing a school?

No, school rankings should not be the only factor in choosing a school. It is important to consider other factors such as program offerings, location, campus culture, and personal preferences when making a decision about a school.