How/Where to begin studying Quantum Physics?

In summary, the individual is a graduate student studying transnational security, but is considering switching fields to study quantum physics. They are seeking advice on where to begin and what topics are necessary to understand quantum mechanics. They are recommended to start by learning calculus and reading books like "Quantum" and "The Big Bang." It is also suggested to have a basic understanding of physics before delving into quantum mechanics. A textbook recommendation is given as well.
dtdynd
How/Where to begin studying Quantum Physics? Please Help!

Hello, (Very sorry for the length, but please help!)

I'm currently a grad student studying transnational security. Problem is, I'm worried that I've chosen the wrong field to study! Like all of you, I find quantum theory absolutely fascinating. I've decided to take this summer to study as much as I can about quantum physics, and from there decide whether or not I should go back and get a degree for it.

I am hoping to get advice on where to begin. What types of math should I begin learning ? I only have basic knowledge (up to advanced algebra/geometry, etc.), so should I begin by first learning calculus?

Also, I think it would be impossible for me to focus my time this summer studying quantum mechanics without first understanding the basics of physics, right? But of all these branches of physics, what are the ones I might be able to overlook for now (i.e., thermodynamics), and what are the ones most applicable, or most necessary for understanding quantum mechanics? Maybe I should start by...I don't know...finding a book on electromagnetism? Waves?

Sometimes I wish I just had a mentor or someone that would help guide me through this process! Though, I suppose I wouldn't have this problem if I was to just study it in a university like everyone else. Anyways, I would really appreciate any help on this matter. I'm at the point now where I want to begin delving deeper into the actual...well...mechanics...of quantum mechanics. I know I have a long ways to go, but I really want to enjoy it as more than just a hobbyist. If someone is able to lay out a 1-2-3 type of plan (e.g., 1- learn calculus, 2- read this book and familiarize yourself with electromagnetism, etc.), I would be extremely grateful. Lastly, please excuse my ignorance in all of this... I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions here!

Physics news on Phys.org

Start by learning as much calculus as possible. In the meanwhile, you can read books about QM and physics that are directed to the wider public that are pretty good. I recommend "Quantum" by Manjit Kumar and "The Big Bang" by Simon Singh. But I don't understand how you can be fascinated by quantum physics, but not by the rest of physics. You can't really understand much about QM without knowing some math, and you usually get there because you loved physics in the first place.

If you don't know any physics yet, I reccomend going through one of the "Freshman physics" books like Young & Friedman. They typically contain everything you need to begin seriously learning quantum theory and then some. After that you can start reading pure quantum books like Brandsten & Joachain.

If you are learning physics as a hobby, you may want to learn the math as you go, or else it may be hard to see why certain concepts are neccesary. I think this a question of taste.

The best textbook I've ever seen is
Principles of Quantum Mechanics by "Shanker"
it's a very intersting and self consisting material

Hello there,

It's great to hear that you are interested in studying quantum physics! It is a fascinating and complex field, and it's understandable that you may feel overwhelmed or unsure of where to begin. I can offer some suggestions and advice to help you get started on your journey.

Firstly, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics in order to understand quantum physics. Calculus is definitely a key component, as it is used to describe the motion and behavior of particles at the quantum level. So I would recommend brushing up on your calculus skills, and also familiarizing yourself with linear algebra, which is used to describe quantum states and equations.

In terms of physics, it is true that having a basic understanding of the subject will be helpful in studying quantum mechanics. However, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of every branch of physics before delving into quantum mechanics. Some key concepts to familiarize yourself with include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and wave mechanics. These will provide a good foundation for understanding the principles of quantum mechanics.

As for resources, there are many great books and online courses available for self-study. Some popular books on quantum mechanics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths and "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner. For online courses, you can check out platforms like Coursera or edX, which offer free or low-cost courses on various topics in quantum physics.

In terms of a step-by-step plan, I would recommend the following:

1. Brush up on your calculus and linear algebra skills.
2. Familiarize yourself with classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and wave mechanics.
3. Start reading a beginner-friendly book on quantum mechanics.
4. Supplement your reading with online courses and lectures.
5. Practice solving problems and working through equations to solidify your understanding.
6. Consider joining a study group or finding a mentor who can provide guidance and support.

I hope this helps to give you a starting point for your studies. Remember to take it one step at a time and don't get discouraged if you encounter challenges along the way. Quantum physics is a complex field, but with dedication and persistence, you can definitely make progress and deepen your understanding. Best of luck on your journey!

Related to How/Where to begin studying Quantum Physics?

1. How do I begin studying Quantum Physics?

The best way to begin studying Quantum Physics is to first gain a solid understanding of classical physics, specifically in the areas of mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra. Once you have a solid understanding of these concepts, you can then start learning about the principles and theories of Quantum Physics.

2. What resources are available for studying Quantum Physics?

There are a variety of resources available for studying Quantum Physics. These include textbooks, online courses, lectures, research papers, and scientific journals. It is important to choose resources that are reputable and written by experts in the field.

3. Do I need to have a degree in physics to study Quantum Physics?

While having a degree in physics can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to study Quantum Physics. However, a strong foundation in physics and mathematics is essential. It is also important to have a strong interest and dedication to learning about this complex subject.

4. Where can I find practice problems or exercises to help me learn Quantum Physics?

Many textbooks and online courses offer practice problems and exercises to help students learn and understand Quantum Physics. Additionally, there are online forums and communities where you can find and discuss practice problems with fellow students and experts in the field.

5. Can I study Quantum Physics on my own, or do I need a teacher or mentor?

While studying on your own is certainly possible, having a teacher or mentor can greatly enhance your understanding and learning experience. They can provide guidance, answer questions, and offer valuable insights and perspectives. Additionally, studying with a group or in a classroom setting can also be beneficial.