First post since 2009. I've learned a lot. Where to go from here?

daytripper
So I hope I'm posting in the right place. This is a request for advice on my STEM education but I have no immediate intention of attending university again (maybe one day). Rather, I'm requesting guidance on the future direction of my independently driven academics (i.e. "self-study").

I created this account back in 2005, while I was still in high school. I asked a bunch of questions, trying to wrap my head around SR (when I have time, I'm sure I'll get a good laugh by going back and reading what I wrote). I eventually figured that out and moved on to GR and QM and have gotten a pretty good handle on those things. In the meantime, I got a non-physics STEM degree, a job outside of physics, and continued to study math and physics in my spare time. There's still plenty for me to learn wrt GR and QM (more the latter than the former) but I'm satisfied with my grasp of them. I think the MWI paired with QFT and an extreme focus on the role of information and computable processes works very well. Finally gave in to the suggestions that I read Tegmark's book about the MUH and I've found the book to be a fairly precise explanation of my interpretation of physics (though it's been wonderful to read the additional insights he offers). I find that the holographic principle, AdS/CFT correspondence, the Beckenstein bound, the Landaurer principle, the delayed choice quantum erasure experiment, etc, etc all put writing on the wall that I can't quite read.

So my question: where to go from here? I'm thinking of diving into some of the theories beyond the standard model. I've heard that I should consider LQG, TQFT, and/or Twistor theory. But I'm not sure which of these I should start with. Given my background and preferred perspective, where should I begin my investigation forward? Am I getting ahead of myself?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to investigate BTSM theories in the first place?

1. What have you learned since your last post in 2009?

Since my last post in 2009, I have learned a lot about new technologies, advancements in my field, and improved my research and analytical skills. I have also gained a deeper understanding of the scientific method and how to effectively communicate my findings.

2. How has the scientific landscape changed since 2009?

The scientific landscape has changed significantly since 2009. There have been numerous breakthroughs in various fields, new technologies have emerged, and there is now a greater emphasis on interdisciplinary collaboration and open-access research. Additionally, there has been an increased focus on addressing global challenges such as climate change and pandemics.

3. What are some potential next steps for you as a scientist?

As a scientist, some potential next steps for me include conducting further research in my field, collaborating with other scientists on interdisciplinary projects, and publishing my findings in peer-reviewed journals. I could also pursue teaching opportunities, attend conferences and workshops, and seek funding for my research.

4. How can you continue to learn and grow as a scientist?

To continue learning and growing as a scientist, I can stay updated on the latest research and advancements in my field, attend workshops and conferences, collaborate with other scientists, and seek out mentorship opportunities. Additionally, I can take courses and workshops to improve my skills and stay current with new technologies and methodologies.

5. What are some tips for effectively communicating scientific findings?

Some tips for effectively communicating scientific findings include using clear and concise language, avoiding technical jargon, providing visual aids such as graphs and charts, and explaining the significance of the findings in a broader context. It is also important to consider the audience and tailor the communication accordingly. Additionally, seeking feedback and practicing presenting can also improve communication skills.