How to use Wave equations for uniform plane waves

In summary: The divergence of a vector is a scalar. The divergence of ##\vec E## is ##\partial E_x/\partial x + \partial E_y/\partial y + \partial E_z/\partial z##. For it to be zero, ##E_x = E_y = 0##. The original equation has a and b as constants, so ##E_z = (a + b)\exp(-jkx)##, ##E_x = a\exp(-jkx)## and ##E_y = b\exp(-jkx)##. This satisfies the divergence condition.So I just got back from work and am a bit fried. I think I am following everything you
ycgoat

Homework Statement

Home work 3 Q1

Study the E
field in free space and a source-free region, E= (a + b)exp(-jkx), where a and b are nonzero real constants, and in the x,y plane respectively.
Does it satisfy Maxwell’s equations? If so, find the k and H fields . If not, explain why not.

Homework Equations

wave equation - dell^2 E + omega^2 mu epsilon E =0
Faraday's law - curl E = -j omega mu H
dispersion relation - k^2 = omega^2 mu epsilon

The Attempt at a Solution

Please excuse my lack of understanding I am a bit old for trying to get this degree.curl E = -bjkexp(-jkx) in the z direction,
= -j omega mu H
so H = [(b/(omega mu))exp(-jkx)]z = [(b/omega mu)cos(omeg t - kx)]z

for finding k using the wave formula I think I am to curl E twice and get
[-bk^2exp(-jkx)]z + k^2 ([a exp(-jkx)]x + [b exp(-jkx)]y) = 0
= exp(-jkz) ([k^2 a ]x + [k^2 b ]y + [-bk]z) = 0
then ([k^2 a ]x + [k^2 b ]y + [-bk]z) = 0
I feel like I am beating a dead horse here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is $$\vec E = (a\hat\imath + b\hat\jmath)e^{-jkx}$$ ... is that correct?

The first step is to see if the equation satisfies Maxwell's equations.
So you start by listing Maxwell's equations - the differential form is probably easiest.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/maxeq.html

Thanks, yes that is the equation. I will work on those after work. So is ## k^2=μ\varepsilon\omega^2## always the solution for k or does it vary with E and H?

What k turns out to be will depend on the situation.

So back to the original problem ## \underline{E}=(\hat{x}a+\hat{y}b)exp(-jkx)##

to start solving Maxwells equations
##\nabla x \underline{E} = j \omega\mu\underline{H}##
I get ##\nabla x \underline{E} = [-jbk exp(-jkx)]\hat{z}##
So ##[-jbk exp(-jkx)\hat{z} = j\omega\mu\underline{H}##

solving for H gives me ##\underline{H} = [-1/(\omega\mu)]kbexp(-jkx)]\hat{z}##

assuming this is correct so far I now solve ##\nabla x \underline{H}##
and I get ##[(1/(\omega\mu))]k^2 bexp(-jkx)]\hat{y}##
which should ##= j\omega\varepsilon\underline{E}##
but solving for ##\underline {E}## I get ## \underline{E}= [(1/(\omega^2 \mu\varepsilon))k^2bexp(-jkx)]\hat{y}##
If ##k^2 =\omega^2\mu\varepsilon## then ##\underline{E}=[bexp(-jkx)]\hat{y}##
so for this to be true a would have to equal 0, a=0, but the original problem states that a and b are non zero real constants so this can not exist.

does this appear correct?

Last edited:
Just some notes on typography first:

Are you using an underline to indicate a vector?
Try using "\vec" instead, or "\mathbf" ...

the exponential function \exp[-jkx] gets ##\exp [-jkx]## ... in general, putting a backslash in front of a function name will (probably) typeset the function properly.

The cross product sign is \times so $$\vec\nabla\times\vec E = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\vec B$$

aside: the tilde under a letter as in ##\underset{\sim}{E}## is a typographical notation that tells the typesetter to "make this character boldface". So it would get printed as ##\mathbf{E}##. The more modern text for a vector is ##\vec E##

Last edited:
Back to business:
...for this to be true a would have to equal 0, a=0, but the original problem states that a and b are non zero real constants
... that's what I am thinking also.

I got there from ##\vec\nabla\cdot\vec E = 0##

Related to How to use Wave equations for uniform plane waves

1. What is a uniform plane wave?

A uniform plane wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that has a consistent amplitude, frequency, and direction of propagation throughout its entire extent. It is a theoretical concept used in physics and engineering to simplify the analysis of waves.

2. How are wave equations used to describe uniform plane waves?

Wave equations, such as the one developed by James Clerk Maxwell, are used to mathematically describe the behavior of uniform plane waves. These equations describe the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields of the wave, as well as how they vary over time and space.

3. What are the key parameters in the wave equation for uniform plane waves?

The key parameters in the wave equation for uniform plane waves are the wavelength, frequency, and propagation speed of the wave. These parameters are related by the equation c = λf, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

4. How can wave equations be applied in real-world situations?

Wave equations for uniform plane waves are used in many practical applications, such as telecommunications, radar, and optics. They can be used to design and analyze a variety of devices, including antennas, transmitters, and receivers.

5. What are some limitations of using wave equations for uniform plane waves?

While wave equations are useful for describing the behavior of uniform plane waves, they do have some limitations. They assume that the medium in which the wave is propagating is uniform and infinite, and they do not account for effects such as diffraction and reflection that may occur in real-world scenarios.