Given an EM Wave find different values

In summary, the electric field intensity of an electromagnetic wave that propagates in vacuum is described with the following phasor notation: (H_{z} = H_{0}e^{+jkx}u_{z}) if the previous equation is hard to read maybe this will be easier: Hz=H0e^(+jkx)Uz. Assuming that the frequency of oscillation of the wave is omega, determine: 1) Electric Field Intensity2) Average Power3) How would the wavelength change if the wave propagates in a dielectric with epsilon_{r}=0.44)If the wave propagates in a lossy medium with gamma=2
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

The magnetic field intensity of an electromagnetic wave that propagates in vacuum is described with the following phasor notation: (H_{z} = H_{0}e^{+jkx}u_{z}) if the previous equation is hard to read maybe this will be easier: Hz=H0e^(+jkx)Uz. Assuming that the frequency of oscillation of the wave is omega, determine:

1) Electric Field Intensity
2) Average Power (use poynting theorem)
3) How would the wavelength change if the wave propagates in a dielectric with
epsilon_{r}=0.4
4)If the wave propagates in a lossy medium with gamma=2.3+j3.4, describe its electric field.
P=(Ez x Hz)/(2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have looked at this problem long and hard and still do not understand. Can anyone give me a push maybe some equations to start with or a pointer in the right direction of where to look. The book has no example problem like this and I have seen nothing of the sort on homework any help is appreciated?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) what is the relationship between H and E for a plane wave such as yours?
2) poynting vector
3) think of light. what happens to velocity in an medium with insdex of refraction > 1? what stays constant, what changes?
4) for this you have to delve into your textbook.

Heh ended up figuring it out took me a while but I got it done I get
part (a) -120∏H0e^(jkx)Uy
part (b) Pavg=(120∏H^2)/2
part (c) it would increase if εr=0.4 however this is impossible as εr≥1
part (d) E=E0e^-(2.3x)e^j(ωt-βx)Uy

are these ok?

Would you mind helping with my other question that is the one I struggle with the most

DODGEVIPER13 said:
part (c) it would increase if εr=0.4 however this is impossible as εr≥1

There is no such thing as a dielectric with er = 0.4.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Would you mind helping with my other question that is the one I struggle with the most

Which would that be?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Heh ended up figuring it out took me a while but I got it done I get
part (d) E=E0e^-(2.3x)e^j(ωt-βx)Uy

What happened to the imaginary part of gamma? Hint: β is larger in a conducting medium than in a non-conducting one. If goes up, what happens to λ for a given w?

Let gamma = alpha + j beta
and put gamma in the exponent of your wave: E0exp(jwt - gamma*x)

You should then be able to describe in words what happens to an incident plane wave when it goes from a vacuum to a dielectric with finite conductivity.

Well k=beta=2∏/λ so for beta to increase I would think lamda would get smaller right? I thought I did have the imaginary part I just plugged into an equation using gamma=σ+jβ and then E(z,t)=Eye^(-αx)e^(jωt-jβz)

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Well k=beta=2∏/λ so for beta to increase I would think lamda would get smaller right? I thought I did have the imaginary part I just plugged into an equation using gamma=σ+jβ and then E(z,t)=Eye^(-αx)e^(jωt-jβz)

Right. λ gets smaller (for a given ω).

I should not have mentioned that β gets larger in a conductor since you're already given β in the conductor.

Anyway, all your expressions look right now.

I'll try to get to your other problem sometime.

Related to Given an EM Wave find different values

1. What is an EM wave?

An EM (electromagnetic) wave is a type of energy that is propagated through space by electric and magnetic fields. It is also known as a light wave and includes all forms of light, such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. How do you find the wavelength of an EM wave?

The wavelength of an EM wave can be found by dividing the speed of light (c) by the frequency (f) of the wave. This can be represented by the equation: λ = c/f

3. How do you calculate the frequency of an EM wave?

The frequency of an EM wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of light (c) by the wavelength (λ) of the wave. This can be represented by the equation: f = c/λ

4. What are the units of measurement for EM waves?

The units of measurement for EM waves depend on the specific type of wave being measured. For example, radio waves and microwaves are typically measured in meters (m), while visible light is measured in nanometers (nm). The frequency of EM waves is typically measured in hertz (Hz) or cycles per second (cps).

5. How are amplitude and energy related in an EM wave?

The amplitude of an EM wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that a wave with a higher amplitude will also have a higher energy. This relationship can be seen in the equation: E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.