EM: Uniform plane wave incident on normal boundry

In summary: The incident H has the same phase as the incident E. The reflected E has the same phase as the incident E. So the reflected H has what phase relative to its E?In summary, the problem involves a plane wave in air encountering a perfectly conducting plate normal to the z axis at z = 0. The incident E wave has components in the +x and +y direction, while the corresponding H wave has components in the +y and -x direction. The reflection coefficient is -1 and the reflected E wave propagates in the -z direction with -x and -y components. The corresponding H wave has +y and -x components. The total E and H fields for z < 0 can be solved for
Alxb577

Homework Statement

Given a uniform plane wave in air as:
E_i=40cos(wt- Bz)a_x +30sin(wt- Bz)a_y
(a) Find H_i
(b) If the wave encounters a perfectly conducting plate normal to the z axis at z = 0, find
the reflected wave E_r and H_r.
(c) What are the total E and H fields for z < 0?

Homework Equations

[1] direction of H is the cross product of the direction of propagation with the direction of the E wave.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This problem should be really easy for me but I'm not getting the boundary conditions I feel like I should have at z=0.

The E wave is propagating in the + z direction with +x and +y components.

Because of equation [1] the corresponding H wave will have corresponding +y and -x components. {Note I don't really care about the magnitude for now}.

Because the wave hits a perfect conducting boundary, the reflection coefficient is -1.

Now the reflected E wave would be propagating in the - z direction with -x and -y components.

From equation [1] the H wave will have corresponding +y and -x components.

Since none of the waves are transmitted and both the E and H are tangential to the boundary at z=0, The sum of the incident and reflective wave of both the E and H wave must be zero, correct? I don't believe there is a surface current or anything like that either.

If you look at the components of the E incident +x , +y and reflected -x , -y the boundary conditions are satisfied at z = 0; Now looking at the H incident +y , -x and reflected +y , -x they are not satisfied.

If there is something dumb I'm doing please let me know, I've spent way too long on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
(b)
Alxb577 said:

Homework Statement

Given a uniform plane wave in air as:
E_i=40cos(wt- Bz)a_x +30sin(wt- Bz)a_y
(a) Find H_i
(b) If the wave encounters a perfectly conducting plate normal to the z axis at z = 0, find
the reflected wave E_r and H_r.
(c) What are the total E and H fields for z < 0?

Homework Equations

[1] direction of H is the cross product of the direction of propagation with the direction of the E wave.
No, the direction of propagation is the cross product of the E and H fields: P = E x H. Still, you got the right polarizations for the incident E and H fields.
Since none of the waves are transmitted and both the E and H are tangential to the boundary at z=0, The sum of the incident and reflective wave of both the E and H wave must be zero, correct? I don't believe there is a surface current or anything like that either.
I assume you mean at the boundary. Certainly the sum of incident and reflected waves is not everywhere zero outside the conductor!
The boundary condition is for Etangential = 0 but not for Htangential. Once you have the reflected E components the H components are solved for by Maxwell's del x E = - ∂B/∂t. When you do that you will find that the H components for each incident wave double at the interface, rather than go to zero.

There is actually infinite current density AT the interface; penetration though is zero. One of those infinity times zero deals!

(a) Use the Poynting vector to determine the spatial direction of Hi. Temporally you know there is what phase shift between the two E vectors? And for each E of the two vectors what is the phase shift between it and its companion H vector in a non-conducting medium?

Last edited:

Related to EM: Uniform plane wave incident on normal boundry

1. What is a uniform plane wave?

A uniform plane wave is an electromagnetic wave that has a constant amplitude and direction as it propagates through a medium. It is characterized by its wavelength and frequency, and is typically represented by a sinusoidal function.

2. What does it mean for a uniform plane wave to be incident on a normal boundary?

When a uniform plane wave encounters a normal boundary, it means that the wave is perpendicular to the boundary, or is approaching it at a right angle. This is in contrast to an oblique boundary, where the wave approaches at an angle other than 90 degrees.

3. How does a normal boundary affect a uniform plane wave?

A normal boundary can cause reflection, refraction, or transmission of a uniform plane wave. The amount of reflection and refraction depends on the properties of the boundary, such as its material and thickness. The transmitted wave will also experience a change in direction and amplitude.

4. What is the difference between a uniform plane wave and a non-uniform plane wave?

A uniform plane wave has a constant amplitude and direction, while a non-uniform plane wave has varying amplitude and direction as it propagates through a medium. Non-uniform plane waves are often a result of interference or diffraction effects.

5. Can a uniform plane wave be polarized?

Yes, a uniform plane wave can be polarized, meaning that its electric and magnetic fields oscillate in a specific direction. This can be either linear, circular, or elliptical polarization, depending on the orientation and phase relationship of the fields. The polarization of a wave can affect how it interacts with different materials and boundaries.