How to Prove Definite Integral of Sin(nx) * Cos(mx) = 0?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving the definite integral from zero to 2*pi of sin(nx) * cos(mx) = 0, where n and m are arbitrary integers. The book suggests using the fact that the definite integral from 0 to 2*pi of sin(nx) and cos(nx) both equal zero. The conversation also mentions using the addition formula for sine to prove that sin(nx) * cos(mx) = cos(nx) * sin(mx). Eventually, one of the participants figures out how to prove the integral using real notation.
uman
Hello all,

In exercise 31, page 106 of Calculus by Tom Apostol (volume 1), the reader is asked to prove that the definite integral from zero to 2*pi of sin(nx) * cos(mx) = 0 (where n and m are arbitrary integers). The book hints that the reader should use the fact that the definite integral from 0 to 2*pi of sin(nx) equals zero (and that the same is true of cos(nx)). I haven't been able to get anywhere on this problem, except using the addition formula for sine to prove that sin(nx)cos(mx) = cos(nx)sin(mx). Any help, anyone?

I'm sure the proof is very simple, but I just can't seem to find it...

Sorry for spelling everything out in words. I have no idea how to use TeX.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know

[tex]\sin nx \cos mx = \cos nx \sin mx\,,[/tex]

then what is

[tex]\sin nx \cos mx + \cos nx \sin mx\;?[/tex]

sorry my original post had an error.

I meant to say that I had proven that sin nx * cos mx = -cos mx * sin nx

Wow I just figured out how to prove it about two minutes after I posted that

Thanks though.

It was as simple as I thought it would be :-)

uman said:
sorry my original post had an error.

I meant to say that I had proven that sin nx * cos mx = -cos mx * sin nx

maybe you mean the integral of the left side equals the integral of the right side because what you have written there isn't true.

That's what I meant.

Two errors, at least. Argh. I think if I could use real notation on this site I wouldn't have done that. time to learn how to use latex...

Related to How to Prove Definite Integral of Sin(nx) * Cos(mx) = 0?

What is the "Problem from Apostol book"?

The "Problem from Apostol book" refers to the textbook "Calculus" by Tom M. Apostol, which is commonly used in university-level calculus courses.

Who is Tom M. Apostol?

Tom M. Apostol is a mathematician and professor emeritus at the California Institute of Technology. He is known for his work in mathematical analysis and for authoring several popular textbooks on mathematics.

Is the "Problem from Apostol book" suitable for beginners?

The "Problem from Apostol book" is typically used in university-level calculus courses, so it may not be suitable for complete beginners. However, it can be a valuable resource for students who have some background knowledge in calculus and are looking to further develop their understanding.

Can the "Problem from Apostol book" be used for self-study?

Yes, the "Problem from Apostol book" can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor for a more comprehensive understanding of the material.

Are there solutions available for the problems in the "Problem from Apostol book"?

Yes, there are solutions available for the problems in the "Problem from Apostol book". Some editions of the textbook may have the solutions included at the end of the book, while others may have a separate solutions manual available for purchase.