Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin

In summary, the conversation discusses the function I(m,n) and how it can be evaluated for different values of m and n. The speaker uses a formula to show that when n is not equal to m, the integral is equal to zero. They then use partial integration to further prove this. The speaker also mentions how this is different from what is mentioned in a textbook.
Omega0
Hi,

take the function

I(m,n) = Integral from 0 to 1 of sin(m*pi*x)*sin(n*pi*x) over dx

depending from n and m, being +-1, +-2, and so on.
If I use sin(x)sin(y)=1/2(cos(x-y)-cos(x+y)) I get sin^2(n*pi*x)=1/2-1/2cos(2n*pi*x)

or I(n,n)=1/2

because the integral of cosine over full periods is zero.

Well, the integral for n not equal to m is zero (easy to see, sin is zero for n*pi).

Now let's integrate via partial integration without knowledge of formulas between
periodic functions.

After two integrations I get

I(m,n) = (m/n)^2 I(m,n)

which means that if the integration is correct

1. m=+-n or
2. I(m,n)=0

You can choose m and n independently from each other. This means
that I(m,n)=0 is proven for m not equal +-n.

This is interesting from a point that for example J. Farlow in "Partial Differential Equations
for Scientists and Engineers" does not mention the negative sign. He completely skips this
calculation.

This is an indirect prove. Is it correct?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct.

Related to Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin

1. What is Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin?

Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin is a mathematical concept used in the field of integration. It involves integrating a sine function over a certain range of values and is used to solve various mathematical problems.

2. How is Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin different from regular integration?

The main difference between Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin and regular integration is that it involves integrating a sine function, while regular integration involves integrating any given function. The techniques and methods used for these two types of integration may also differ.

3. What are the applications of Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin?

Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin is commonly used in various areas of science and engineering, such as physics, signal processing, and electrical engineering. It is used to solve problems involving oscillations, vibrations, and other periodic phenomena.

4. Can Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin be used for higher dimensional problems?

Yes, Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin can be extended to solve problems in higher dimensions. This is known as multidimensional integration and involves integrating over multiple variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin?

As with any mathematical concept, there are limitations to using Simple Integration Orthogonal Sin. It may not be applicable to all types of functions or problems, and there may be other integration techniques that are more suitable. It is important to understand the specific problem and choose the appropriate integration method accordingly.