How to calculate heat capacity of supercritical CO2

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the heat required to raise the temperature of Carbon dioxide from -40C to 50C when it is in its super critical state. The critical point for CO2 is mentioned to be at 31C and 73 bar. The use of NIST and Engineering Equations Solver (EES) for obtaining properties of CO2 is recommended.
ceramic57
Hello,
1. How can I calculate the heat required to raise the temperature of Carbon dioxide. It is at -40C and then it is to be heated to 50 C... The operating Pressure is above critical, so when it crosses the critical temperature point, the liquid CO2 would change into super critical state. (I hope I am right till now)... So how do I calculate the total heat required for this process? The critical point for CO2 is almost 31 C and 73 bar.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi ceramic. Welcome to the board. If you're doing a lot of thermo analysis and need properties of CO2, I'd suggest purchasing the NIST http://www.nist.gov/srd/nist23.cfm" .

Last edited by a moderator:
you can use Engineering Equations Solver (EES) for properties of different substances

Related to How to calculate heat capacity of supercritical CO2

1. What is the formula for calculating heat capacity of supercritical CO2?

The formula for calculating heat capacity of supercritical CO2 is C = Q/mΔT, where C is the heat capacity, Q is the amount of heat absorbed or released, m is the mass of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How do I determine the mass of supercritical CO2 for heat capacity calculations?

The mass of supercritical CO2 can be determined by measuring the weight of the container holding the CO2 or by using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

3. What units should be used for heat capacity calculations?

The units for heat capacity calculations can vary, but the most common are joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g·°C) and joules per mole per degree Celsius (J/mol·°C).

4. Can the heat capacity of supercritical CO2 change with temperature?

Yes, the heat capacity of supercritical CO2 can change with temperature. This is because as temperature increases, the molecular motion increases, causing the heat capacity to increase.

5. How does pressure affect the heat capacity of supercritical CO2?

The heat capacity of supercritical CO2 is affected by pressure. As pressure increases, the molecules are packed closer together, resulting in stronger molecular interactions and a higher heat capacity.