Specific heat capacity and concentration

In summary, the research paper focuses on the relationship between specific heat capacity and refractive index of liquids. The study involved varying concentrations of NaCl and sucrose to determine the relationship. The initial hypothesis of a positive relationship between specific heat capacity and concentration was proven wrong, as an inverse relationship was found. The reason for this decrease in specific heat capacity is due to the formation of a rigid cage around ions, reducing the energy required to raise the temperature. This also explains the inverse relationship between specific heat capacity and refractive index. The decrease in specific heat capacity can be attributed to the reduction of degrees of freedom in the system.
jemamarbinay
Hello. I am doing a research paper on the relationship of specific heat capacity and refractive index of liquids. I am doing this by finding the relationship between specific heat capacity and concentration and refractive index and concentration. With this I can find a general trend and conclude a relationship between them.

I originally hypothesized that there is a positive relationship between specific heat capacity and concentration; as you increase concentration, specific heat capacity increases because there are more molecules to heat up per given volume. However, this is not the case. With the use of varying concentrations of NaCl and sucrose, I found that there is an inverse relationship between these concentration and specific heat capacity. I also proved myself wrong mathematically as it also showed an inverse relationship.

According to this forum: https://socratic.org/questions/how-does-salt-change-the-specific-heat-capacity-of-water

The reason why specific heat capacity decreases is because of the water molecules forming a rigid cage around the ions. Which decreases the energy/heat required to raise its temperature, hence decreasing specific heat capacity. But why? Why does the rigid cage lower the energy required to raise it by 1C?

Thank you so much

PS. I found out that there is an inverse relationship between SHC and refractive index

Engineering news on Phys.org
jemamarbinay said:
The reason why specific heat capacity decreases is because of the water molecules forming a rigid cage around the ions. Which decreases the energy/heat required to raise its temperature, hence decreasing specific heat capacity. But why?

Perhaps the answer is that for each translational degree of freedom we get ½ R contributing to the heat capacity. The molecule can move in x, y or z; and in each direction.
The other degrees of freedom are rotation/vibration. A common sense answer is that as you constrain a system you are reducing degrees of freedom and Formation of rigid structures may be doing that...

Related to Specific heat capacity and concentration

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius per gram.

2. How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is measured by using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat transfer between substances.

3. What is the relationship between specific heat capacity and concentration?

There is no direct relationship between specific heat capacity and concentration. However, the specific heat capacity of a solution may change depending on the concentration of solutes present.

4. How does specific heat capacity affect the temperature of a substance?

The higher the specific heat capacity of a substance, the more energy it will require to change its temperature. This means that substances with a higher specific heat capacity will have a slower rate of temperature change compared to substances with a lower specific heat capacity.

5. How does concentration affect the specific heat capacity of a solution?

The specific heat capacity of a solution may change depending on the concentration of solutes present. This is because the solutes can affect the intermolecular forces between the molecules of the solvent, leading to a change in the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of the solution.