How to Calculate Deformations and Contact Pressure Between Two Mechanical Rings?

In summary: HTML code. If you are still having trouble, I suggest consulting the forum's help section or contacting a forum moderator for assistance.In summary, the problem of mechanical contact between two rings is a complex and important topic in mechanics. The size of the contact zone and the deformation of the rings depend on various factors such as the relative sizes of the rings, the forces acting on the system, and the rigidity of the rings. To calculate the deformations and contact pressure in this problem, researchers have used analytical and numerical methods, and have also studied the role of contact mechanics in understanding friction between solids. I hope the references and information provided will be helpful in your research. Best of luck!
lalbatros
Hello,

I would be interrested in comments, references, books, papers and web pages regarding the problem of mechanical contact between two rings.

The attached picture describes the geometry of the problem: a ring (tube) is resting on the bottom of a larger ring (tube). These two rings are in contact in a certain zone, the size of which depends on the relative size of the rings and the forces acting on the system. Mainly the own weight of the rings and the contact pressure are involved. The inner ring is extremely heavy and the outer ring is used to reinforce it. Eventually, the large ring may rest on two rollers (a more complicated problem).

I would like to calculate the deformations of the inner ring assuming a very high rigidity of the outer ring. A more complicated problem might involve the deformation of the outer ring, assuming it is resting on two rollers. I am also interrested in an analytical expression for the contact pressure and if possible for the angle of contact.

Thanks for your help !

PS1: I don't know how to insert a picture in my post. Any suggestion?
PS2: But the attachment is shown! Is there a way to insert it somewhere in the text ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting question regarding the problem of mechanical contact between two rings. This is a complex and important topic in the field of mechanics and has been studied extensively by researchers. I have compiled a list of references, books, papers, and web pages that I think will be helpful in your research on this topic.

1. "Contact Mechanics" by K.L. Johnson - This book is considered a classic in the field of contact mechanics and provides a comprehensive overview of the subject. It covers topics such as Hertzian contact, elastic and plastic deformation, and frictional contact.

2. "Mechanics of Contact Interfaces" by Valentin L. Popov - This book focuses on the mechanics of contact interfaces between solids and provides a detailed analysis of various contact problems, including the one you have described in your post.

3. "Contact Mechanics and Friction" by Peter Wriggers - This book covers both analytical and numerical methods for solving contact problems in mechanics, including the problem of mechanical contact between two rings.

4. "Contact Mechanics and Wear of Rail/Wheel Systems" by Paul K. Kalker - This paper discusses the contact mechanics and wear of rail/wheel systems, which can be applied to your problem of contact between two rings.

5. "Analytical Solutions for Contact Problems" by G. G. Adams - This paper presents analytical solutions for contact problems, including the problem of mechanical contact between two rings. The solutions are derived using the theory of elasticity and are useful for understanding the behavior of the contact zone.

6. "Analytical and Finite Element Analysis of Contact Problems" by A. K. Vasudevan - This paper compares the results of analytical and finite element analysis for contact problems and provides insights into the accuracy and limitations of both methods.

7. "Contact Mechanics and the Friction of Solids" by G. M. Bartenev - This paper discusses the role of contact mechanics in the study of friction between solids and provides a theoretical analysis of the contact pressure and angle of contact.

In addition to these references, I would also recommend looking into the work of researchers such as H. Hertz, A. W. Bush, T. J. Johnson, and R. D. Mindlin, who have made significant contributions to the field of contact mechanics.

As for your question about inserting a picture in your post, most forums allow you to insert an image by using the "insert image" button or by using

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. Your problem of mechanical contact between two rings is a common one in engineering and has been extensively studied. I would recommend looking into the field of structural mechanics and specifically, the study of contact mechanics. Some useful references and resources for this topic include:

1. "Contact Mechanics" by K.L. Johnson - This is a classic textbook on the topic and covers a wide range of contact problems, including the one you have described.

2. "Introduction to Contact Mechanics" by Anthony C. Fischer-Cripps - This is a more recent book that provides a more practical approach to the topic and includes many examples and case studies.

3. "Contact Mechanics and Friction" by Valentin L. Popov - This book focuses specifically on the topic of friction in contact mechanics, which may be relevant to your problem.

4. "Finite Element Analysis of Contact Problems" by G.M.L. Gladwell - This book discusses the use of finite element analysis to solve contact problems, which may be useful for your calculations.

In addition to these books, there are also many research papers and articles available online that discuss the topic of contact between two rings. Some useful keywords to search for include "contact mechanics", "ring contact", and "mechanical contact".

As for your specific problem, it would be helpful to know the material properties of the rings and the loading conditions in order to calculate the deformations and contact pressure. Depending on the complexity of the problem, you may need to use finite element analysis or other numerical methods to obtain accurate results.

As for inserting a picture in your post, it may depend on the platform or forum you are using. Some forums have a specific button for inserting images, while others may require you to upload the image to a hosting site and then insert the link in your post. I suggest checking the forum's guidelines or asking for assistance from the forum moderators.

I hope this information helps you in your research. Best of luck!

Related to How to Calculate Deformations and Contact Pressure Between Two Mechanical Rings?

1. How do you determine the contact point between two rings?

The contact point between two rings can be determined by finding the intersection of the two rings. This can be done by solving the equations of the two rings simultaneously.

2. What factors affect the contact between two rings?

The factors that affect the contact between two rings include the size and shape of the rings, the material they are made of, and the amount of force applied to them.

3. How does the contact between two rings affect their stability?

The contact between two rings can affect their stability by providing support and preventing them from sliding or twisting. The more contact points there are between the two rings, the more stable they will be.

4. Can the contact between two rings be changed?

Yes, the contact between two rings can be changed by altering the size, shape, or material of the rings, or by adjusting the amount of force applied to them.

5. How is the contact between two rings used in practical applications?

The contact between two rings is used in various practical applications, such as in mechanical engineering for designing gears and bearings, in jewelry making for creating intricate designs, and in sports equipment for providing stability and support.