External Pressure and Deformation of Cylindrical Tubes with Nylon Material

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cylinder with outer and inner radii, and questions about finding the external pressure and determining the yield strength of the material. There are two potential approaches to solving the problem, one involving perfect axial symmetry and the other considering the potential for the cylinder to buckle. The nature of the stress-strain curve for nylon is also brought up as a factor in finding a solution.
Jehanzeb
Hello,
This is a real simple question but I am having a hard time to answer it.
We have cylinder with outer Radius Ro, Inner Radius Ri. Internal pressure = 0.
External pressure = to be find.
Material is Nylon.

I would like to know:
External pressure Po at which the tube/cylinder will go under deformation given Yield strength.

How do i find the external pressure on a rod- Given it is not a pressure vessel?
Should i use the collapse pressure formula OR Radil stress formula assuming Internal pressure Pi to be zero?

upload_2017-5-16_14-28-21.png

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is nothing in the problem statement to indicate that there is an external pressure at all. Please re-read what you wrote and add whatever is missing.

Dr.D said:
There is nothing in the problem statement to indicate that there is an external pressure at all. Please re-read what you wrote and add whatever is missing.
Thanks,
I re-wrote the question

This "simple problem" is really not simple at all, and may still be undefined. I see two options to pursue here:
1) You can assume absolutely perfect axial symmetry and consider only simple compression of the material.
2) You can also recognize that there is the potential for the cylinder wall to buckle, thus collapsing in an asymmetric form.
For the first option, get a theory of elasticity book and dig into problems in cylindrical coordinates.
For the second option, the wall thickness becomes critical, and I doubt that the problem can be solved in general (with no specification on the wall thickness).

What are you assuming about the nature of the stress-strain curve for nylon, and in particular, do you have a well defined yield point? Nylon is not a "nice" engineering material like say, steel, so everything is a bit iffy about this problem.

Related to External Pressure and Deformation of Cylindrical Tubes with Nylon Material

1. What is external pressure on a cylinder?

External pressure on a cylinder refers to the force exerted on the outside surface of a cylindrical object, such as a pipe or tube, by external factors such as fluids or other objects.

2. How does external pressure affect a cylinder?

The effect of external pressure on a cylinder depends on various factors such as the material and thickness of the cylinder, as well as the magnitude and duration of the pressure. In some cases, external pressure can cause the cylinder to deform or even rupture.

3. How is external pressure calculated for a cylinder?

External pressure on a cylinder is typically calculated using the equation P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force exerted on the cylinder, and A is the area of the cylinder's surface. The units for pressure are typically expressed in pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

4. What are the safety precautions for dealing with external pressure on a cylinder?

It is important to carefully consider and monitor external pressure on a cylinder to ensure its structural integrity and prevent any potential hazards. Safety precautions may include regular inspections, proper material selection, and implementing a pressure relief system.

5. How can external pressure on a cylinder be controlled?

External pressure on a cylinder can be controlled by implementing measures such as reinforcing the cylinder with additional supports, using thicker or stronger materials, or adjusting the pressure of the surrounding environment. It is important to consult with a professional and follow industry standards when making any modifications to a cylinder's external pressure.