How to Calculate Bicycle Wheel Revolutions Per Minute: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Soda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the number of revolutions per minute of a bicycle wheel with a diameter of 26 inches, while traveling at a speed of 35 miles per hour. The correct answer is 452.5 rpm, but the individual is unsure of the method to solve the problem. The suggested method is to use the equation v = rω, but to convert the distance traveled to inches and then divide by the radius to get the angular velocity. However, this approach is incorrect because "v" should represent the velocity of a point on the circumference of the wheel, not a distance. Instead, the correct approach is to calculate the distance traveled in one minute and then divide by the circumference of the wheel to find the number
Soda

Homework Statement

Bicycle Wheels The diameter of each wheel of a bicycle is
26 inches. If you are traveling at a speed of 35 miles per hour
on this bicycle, through how many revolutions per minute
are the wheels turning?

Homework Equations

• ω = θ/t

• v = s/t

• v = rω

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 452.5 rpm, I looked in the back of the book. I just want to know the method for solving this kind of problem. I have looked at examples in the book, but they didn't have a problem like this solved, so I have no clue how to obtain the correct answer.

Attempts: I used equation v = rω (above), and tired to convert 35 miles to inches (2,217,600 in.), and divide by the radius (13 in), and got:

1. 2,217,600 = 13ω

2. ω = 2,217,600/13 ≈ 170,584

Which is no where near the correct answer. That's is just one of the many methods I tried to use, and at this point I am desperate and frustrated, and I come to you all for help.

Could you describe the steps to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
why not go back to first principles?

in one hour you traveled 35 mi.

bicycle tire is 26 inch diameter ==> using pi*Diameter = tire circumference

convert (dist traveled) to inches for a common measurement

(dist traveled) / (tire circumference) = revolutions in one hour

(revolution in one hour) / 60 mins = # rpms

Soda said:

Homework Statement

Bicycle Wheels The diameter of each wheel of a bicycle is
26 inches. If you are traveling at a speed of 35 miles per hour
on this bicycle, through how many revolutions per minute
are the wheels turning?

Homework Equations

• ω = θ/t

• v = s/t

• v = rω

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 452.5 rpm, I looked in the back of the book. I just want to know the method for solving this kind of problem. I have looked at examples in the book, but they didn't have a problem like this solved, so I have no clue how to obtain the correct answer.

Attempts: I used equation v = rω (above), and tired to convert 35 miles to inches (2,217,600 in.), and divide by the radius (13 in), and got:

1. 2,217,600 = 13ω
"v" is the velocity of a point on the circumference of the wheel, not a distance so it makes no sense to replace v with 35 "miles", even converted to inches. If the cycle is going at "35 miles per hour", how far will it go in one minute? The wheel has diameter 26 in so what is its circumrference? What part of that circumference is the distance the cycle goes in one minute?

2. ω = 2,217,600/13 ≈ 170,584

Which is no where near the correct answer. That's is just one of the many methods I tried to use, and at this point I am desperate and frustrated, and I come to you all for help.

Could you describe the steps to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Related to How to Calculate Bicycle Wheel Revolutions Per Minute: Step-by-Step Guide

What is the first step in seeking help with a problem?

The first step in seeking help with a problem is to identify the problem and the specific area or subject that you need assistance with. This will help you to narrow down your search for resources or people who can provide you with the help you need.

How do I find reliable sources for problem-solving?

One way to find reliable sources for problem-solving is to consult with experts in the field or subject area related to your problem. You can also look for reputable websites, books, or articles that offer information and solutions related to your problem.

What should I consider when seeking help with a problem?

When seeking help with a problem, it is important to consider the expertise and qualifications of the person or resource you are consulting. You should also consider the potential cost or time commitment involved in seeking help and whether it aligns with your needs and goals.

How can I effectively communicate my problem to someone else?

To effectively communicate your problem to someone else, it is helpful to clearly define the issue you are facing and provide any relevant background information. Be specific and concise in your communication and be open to listening to their perspective and suggestions.

What can I do if I am not satisfied with the help I received for my problem?

If you are not satisfied with the help you received for your problem, you can consider seeking a second opinion or reaching out to a different resource or expert. You can also try researching and exploring different solutions on your own. Remember to communicate your concerns and feedback to the person or resource that provided you with help.