Calculating Clicks: Spoke Card Oscillations and Rotational Motion

In summary, the frequency of the sound produced by the spoke card is determined by the frequency of the source disturbing the air, which in this case is the number of times a spoke hits the card. Thus, to produce a sound at 440 Hz, the wheel must rotate at a frequency of 440 rotations per second. Using the equation ω=2πƒ and converting to revolutions per minute, the angular velocity of the wheel should be approximately 825 rpm.
Aboramou

Homework Statement

A thin card produces a musical note when it is held lightly against the spokes of a rotating wheel. If the wheel has 32 spokes, how quickly must it rotate, in revolutions per minute, in order to produce the A above middle C (i.e. 440 Hz)?

Homework Equations

ω=2πƒ; ƒ=1/T; ϑ=ƒλ

The Attempt at a Solution

Knowing that the speed of sound is about 340 m/s in the air, we can find the wavelength of the sound produced by the spoke card at 440 Hz frequency: λ(=ϑ/ƒ)=0.773 m. The problem is that I can't figure out what formula should include the number of spokes and how to put together sound wave motion and rotational motion of a wheel to find it's angular velocity ω. Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

The frequency of the sound is determined by the source of the sound. In this case, the frequency of the sound is determined by the frequency that the source disturbs the air. There is a disturbance of the air each time a spoke hits the card. You don't need to use the wavelength or speed of sound.

TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF!

The frequency of the sound is determined by the source of the sound. In this case, the frequency of the sound is determined by the frequency that the source disturbs the air. There is a disturbance of the air each time a spoke hits the card. You don't need to use the wavelength or speed of sound.

Hi! Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I still haven't solved the problem. I could just substitute frequency of the sound into the equation ω=2πƒ and multiply it by 60 to get the angular velocity in rpm, but the answer I get is different from the answer given in my book (should be 825 rpm). That makes me conclude that my approach is wrong. Also I still can't see the way I can use the number of spokes to solve this problem

As each spoke contacts the card and then breaks contact the card is first deflected and then released . This action causes an audible 'click' .

If the wheel has X number of spokes and is rotating at N rotations/second how many clicks are generated in one second ?

Last edited:

What are spoke card oscillations?

Spoke card oscillations are the vibrations or movements of a spoke card, which is a small card that is attached to the spokes of a bicycle wheel.

What causes spoke card oscillations?

Spoke card oscillations are typically caused by wind resistance or uneven weight distribution on the bicycle wheel. When the bicycle is in motion, the spoke card can vibrate and create oscillations.

Are spoke card oscillations dangerous?

Spoke card oscillations are usually not dangerous. They may cause a slight wobbling sensation while riding, but they do not significantly affect the stability or safety of the bicycle.

How can I reduce spoke card oscillations?

The best way to reduce spoke card oscillations is to make sure the spoke card is securely attached to the spokes of the wheel. You can also try adjusting the placement of the spoke card or using a different type of spoke card that is less prone to oscillations.

Do spoke card oscillations affect performance?

In most cases, spoke card oscillations do not significantly affect the performance of the bicycle. However, if the oscillations are severe, they may cause some drag and slow down the rider. It is best to minimize oscillations for optimal performance.