How Do You Calculate Distance Traveled in the Last 20 Minutes of a Drive?

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
In summary, we are given that Stan drove for h hours at a constant rate of r miles per hour and we are asked to find how many miles he drove during the final 20 minutes of his drive. To solve this, we can use the equation S=Vt, where S represents the total distance driven, V represents the speed in miles per hour, and t represents the time in hours. We cannot assume any specific values for r or t, so we will leave them as variables. However, we know that the final 20 minutes is equivalent to 1/3 of an hour, so we can use this value for t in our equation. Therefore, the total distance driven during the final 20 minutes is equal to r
zak100

Homework Statement

Stan drove for h hours at a constant rate of r miles per hour. How many miles did he go during the final 20 minutes of his drive?

Homework Equations

S= V* t

The Attempt at a Solution

Let H=6 hours, r=10 miles/h

1 H = 60 min

6 H = 360 min

S=v t

S= 10 * 360 = 3600miles

S= 10 * (360-20)= 3400 miles

Miles in last 20 minutes = 3600 – 3400 = 200 miles

But this we can get directly by

S= 10 * 20 = 200 miles.

I can't understand some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
zak100 said:

Homework Statement

Stan drove for h hours at a constant rate of r miles per hour. How many miles did he go during the final 20 minutes of his drive?

Homework Equations

S= V* t

1 H = 60 min[/B]

6 H = 360 min[/B]

S=v t[/B]

S= 10 * 360 = 3600miles[/B]

S= 10 * (360-20)= 3400 miles[/B]

Miles in last 20 minutes = 3600 – 3400 = 200 miles[/B]

But this we can get directly by[/B]

S= 10 * 20 = 200 miles.[/B]

I can't understand some body please guide me.

Zulfi.[/B]
Several things you have written don't make sense.

Most importantly, speed and time need to be in units which are consistent with each other.

Simply change 20 minutes into units of hours.Beyond that, the statement of the problem says nothing about total time nor about a specific speed (rate).

zak100 said:
You're making this much harder than it actually is. A similar question would be "How far did he go in the last hour of his drive?" If you can answer that, you should be able to answer the question of this problem.

Likes SammyS
Hi,
Thanks for your response.
Okay I am converting everything into hours.

Let H= 6 & r (= v) = 10 miles/hour

S= v * t = 6 * 10 = 60 miles / hour

60 minutes = 1 H

1 min = 1/60 H

20 min =1/3 H

For 20 min

S = v * t = 10 * 1/3 = 3.33 miles

In Last 3 minutes, he covered = 60 -3.33 = 56 miles

Note answer is r/3. Some body please guide me.Zulfi.

Hi,
I think my solution is right. Because I have written:
S = 10/3 & i have supposed
r = 10.
So i can write:
S = r/3.
Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
I think my solution is right. Because I have written:
S = 10/3 & i have supposed
r = 10.
So i can write:
S = r/3.
Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

You are not allowed to assume any specific value for ##r##. However, ##r/3## is correct for this problem; do you see why?

Hi,
<You are not allowed to assume any specific value for r>Book has solved several such questions by supposing values.
<
However, r/3 is correct for this problem; do you see why?

>

No I don't see. We have to find last 20 minutes drive i.e from 340 minutes to 360 minutes according to my assumed values. May be this is the reason you are against supposing values.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
<You are not allowed to assume any specific value for r>Book has solved several such questions by supposing values.
<
However, r/3 is correct for this problem; do you see why?

>

No I don't see. We have to find last 20 minutes drive i.e from 340 minutes to 360 minutes according to my assumed values. May be this is the reason you are against supposing values.

Zulfi.

I am very much against you assuming any values, because when you do that you are NOT LEARNING! You WERE given values: h hours at a rate of r miles per hour--those are your values, end of story. Since you are supposed to be doing algebra, not arithmetic, you should not use numbers at this point. (However, you were given one number: 20 miinutes.)

zak100 said:
Repeating what Ray said, the only numeric constant in this problem was the 20 minutes.

Here is the problem as you wrote it in post #1. All of the information needed is here. You should NOT make any assumptions about specific values for the speed or time.

zak100 said:

In post 3 I said this:
You're making this much harder than it actually is. A similar question would be "How far did he go in the last hour of his drive?" If you can answer that, you should be able to answer the question of this problem.

zak100:

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

S= V* t

In your attempt at the solution, you used the equation s=Vt, and you plugged in V=10 miles/h. But that 10 is just a number you made up. Nowhere does the problem statement say that r=10 miles/h. It just gives the speed as r.

As for the time, t, you started off by saying that t=360 minutes, or 6 hours. But again, that 6 hour time just a number you made up. It is not stated in the problem.

So, think carefully. Ask yourself:
1. In the equation S=V t, what do the symbols S, V and t mean, and what does the equation let you work out?
2. What are you going to use for V in the equation, bearing in mind that you can't just make up a number?
3. What are you going to use for t?
4. How does the "final 20 minutes" come into this?

Related to How Do You Calculate Distance Traveled in the Last 20 Minutes of a Drive?

What is "Distance in last 20 minutes"?

"Distance in last 20 minutes" refers to the distance traveled by an object or person in the past 20 minutes.

How is "Distance in last 20 minutes" measured?

"Distance in last 20 minutes" can be measured using various methods such as GPS tracking, odometers, or manually recording the distance traveled.

Why is "Distance in last 20 minutes" important to measure?

"Distance in last 20 minutes" can provide valuable information about the speed and movement of an object or person, which can be useful for tracking, monitoring, and analyzing data.

Can "Distance in last 20 minutes" be affected by external factors?

Yes, "Distance in last 20 minutes" can be affected by external factors such as traffic, weather conditions, and terrain. These factors can impact the speed and distance traveled in the last 20 minutes.

How can "Distance in last 20 minutes" be used in scientific research?

"Distance in last 20 minutes" can be used in various scientific studies, such as tracking the movement of animals, monitoring the spread of diseases, or analyzing the efficiency of transportation systems. It can also be used in sports science to measure the performance of athletes.