General Relativity Made Approachable: A Step by Step Guide by Michael Cole

colemi4117
How did you find PF?
Researching my book.
Hi, my name is Michael Cole. I am a lifelong physics and mathematics enthusiast. I started an undergraduate degree in physics at UCLA in the 80s. Quite school, got a job yada yada. Went back to school for a degree in pure mathematics at CSUN. I spent 40 plus years in a career in IT. Rose to the ranks of VP, then retired. I had Special Relativity in undergraduate glasses, but General Relativity (with Tensor calculus) was a graduate course. In my retirement I got the texts (found them difficult and unapproachable) so I wrote my own - General Relativity Step by Step. This book is for those of us who cannot attend class and want to learn a subject without an instructor - thus no steps are left out and all exercises have solutions in the back.

I joined Physics forums to learn and to see if I could help anyone that is struggling (like I was).

General Relativity Step by Step - Michael Cole
"Learn the mathematics of curved space-time. Understand Einstein's field equations and the principles of General Relativity in this step by step guide. Even if the reader's calculus is rusty and they need a refresher on linear algebra, this book provides the bite-sized lessons that explain each concept with no steps left out. This is not a layman's overview of General Relativity. Real understanding and learning are contained within. Neither is this an unapproachable graduate level text. Undergraduates, high school students and, even, enthusiastic amateurs can learn to solve basic problems in General Relativity. How much does light bend going around the Sun? Why is the acceleration on the surface of the Earth 9.8 meters per second every second? The reader will be able to use the principles of General Relativity to answer these questions for themselves."

Likes Bosko, PeroK and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Michael!