How to attach a gear to a static shaft?

In summary, the question is how to retain a gear on the free end of a shaft that is being held in the housing by an interference fit. Suggestions for retaining the gear include using a bearing, a large washer with a cotter key, a nut, or a ring with a set screw.
DavidGray32

Homework Statement

A shaft is being used as a cantilever and is held in the housing by its fit. It is to remain static whilst a gear is attached to the free end, how to you retain the gear on the free end of the shaft? Sketch a suitable method

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the shaft is being held by a clearance fit and the question is essentially asking how do you stop the gear from slipping off. I'm thinking you'd have to use a bearing to allow the gear to rotate freely around the shaft. I'm not sure if this is correct or if I'm looking at this the wrong way.

Physics news on Phys.org
DavidGray32 said:
A shaft is being used as a cantilever and is held in the housing by its fit.

This statement seems to indicate that the shaft is supported in a press fit or shrink fit, not a clearance fit. Presumably this is an idler gear, turning freely on the end of a non-rotating shaft.

Dr.D said:
This statement seems to indicate that the shaft is supported in a press fit or shrink fit, not a clearance fit. Presumably this is an idler gear, turning freely on the end of a non-rotating shaft.
Sorry, it was interference fit!

Perhaps look at something similar such as the front wheel bearing of a ride on lawn mower?

Is the situation such that you want to put a bearing between the gear and the shaft, or do you want the gear to run directly on the shaft? Either way, you can use something like a large washer with a cotter key, a nut on the end of the shaft, or a ring with a set screw.

Related to How to attach a gear to a static shaft?

1. How do I determine the size of gear needed for my static shaft?

The size of the gear needed will depend on the diameter and speed of the shaft, as well as the torque required for the application. It is important to consult a gear sizing chart or use a gear design software to ensure proper sizing.

2. What is the best way to attach a gear to a static shaft?

The most common and effective way to attach a gear to a static shaft is by using a keyway and key. The keyway is a slot cut into the shaft and the gear, and the key is a small piece of metal that fits into the keyway to lock the gear in place.

3. Can I use adhesive to attach a gear to a static shaft?

No, it is not recommended to use adhesive to attach a gear to a static shaft. Adhesives are not strong enough to handle the torque and forces involved in gear rotation and can cause the gear to slip or become misaligned.

4. Is it necessary to balance the gear when attaching it to a static shaft?

Yes, it is important to balance the gear before attaching it to a static shaft to ensure smooth operation and prevent premature wear. Unbalanced gears can cause vibration and damage to the shaft and other components.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when attaching a gear to a static shaft?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not properly sizing the gear, using the wrong type of key, not properly aligning the gear to the shaft, and not balancing the gear. It is important to carefully follow gear manufacturer guidelines and consult with a professional if needed.