How Do I Calculate the Shaft Diameter Based on Gear Forces and Moments?

In summary: D = diameter shaft (mm, in)In summary, the given conversation discusses the calculation of tangential and radial forces for four different gears and pinions, as well as their corresponding diameters. The question at hand is how to calculate the shaft diameter using the moment formula. Through this formula, the torques for each gear were determined, but it is unclear how to proceed. One potential solution could be to use the maximum shear stress and diameter of the shaft to calculate the maximum torque.
TyErd

Homework Statement

Already calculated:
Tangential Forces :

Pinion A=2850 N
Gear B=2850 N
Pinion C= 8550 N
Gear D= 8550 N

Radial Forces:

Pinion A= 1000 N
Gear B= 1000 N
Pinion C= 9100 N
Gear D= 9100 N

Diameters:

Pinion A= 60mm
Gear B= 180mm
Pinion C= 60mm
Gear D= 200mm

The distances between Gear B and Pinion C for the moment can be said to be X(mm). and the distance between the gears and bearings can be said to be Y(mm).

Homework Equations

Moment = F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached a picture of how the gears/shaft/bearings are arranged.
My question is how do i calculate the shaft diameter(s)

using the moment formula i know that i can calculate torque for each gear. It would just be the tangential force*the radius of the gear. I have no clue what to do with the radial loads or if I need to calculate any other forces.

any help?

Attachments

• gearbox.png
    gearbox.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 733
Physics news on Phys.org
just worked out the torque for each gear:

Pinion A: 85.5 Nm
Gear B: 256.5 Nm
Pinion C: 256.5 Nm
Gear D: 855 Nm

not sure what to do with these...

Related to How Do I Calculate the Shaft Diameter Based on Gear Forces and Moments?

What is the purpose of calculating the shaft for gears?

The shaft for gears is calculated in order to determine the appropriate size and strength of the shaft that will be able to support the gears and their corresponding loads. This ensures that the gears will function properly and efficiently without any risk of failure.

What factors should be considered when calculating the shaft for gears?

The main factors to consider when calculating the shaft for gears include the torque and power requirements of the gears, the type and size of the gears, the material and heat treatment of the shaft, and the operating conditions such as speed and load.

How is the torque and power requirement of the gears determined?

The torque and power requirement of the gears can be determined by analyzing the gear ratio, speed, and load of the system. This can be done through mathematical calculations or by using specialized software or tools.

What are the different types of gears that require shaft calculation?

The types of gears that typically require shaft calculation include spur gears, helical gears, bevel gears, and worm gears. Each type of gear has its own specific requirements and considerations when it comes to calculating the shaft.

What are some common issues that may arise if the shaft for gears is not calculated properly?

If the shaft for gears is not calculated properly, it can lead to issues such as excessive deflection, premature wear and failure of the gears, and loss of efficiency. This can result in costly repairs and downtime, as well as potential safety hazards.