How Fast Can a Carousel Spin Safely for Toddlers?

In summary, the question asks for the maximum safe turning speed of a carousel for children under 5 years old, based on research that shows they can survive a fall of 1m without serious injury. While a possible answer is 4.429m/s using the formula v = √(2gs), it is unclear if the question is referring to linear or angular speed, as well as the radius of the carousel.
Alcape

Homework Statement

If a designer finds through research of accident reports at a hospital that children
under 5 can usually survive a fall of 1 m without serious injury, what is the
maximum safe turning speed for a carousel to be used by children of this age?

Homework Equations

No Idea

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Alcape! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I'm as confused as you are :redface:

most of the question seems to be missing.

The carousel can be dangerous either because the centripetal acceleration is too much for the brain, or because the child might fall off and hit something.

But, for both, you need to know the radius (and you don't). :confused:

Thanks For that tiny-tim I thought their may have been a formula I didn't know of. I appreciate your prompt reply. Thanks again.

Thanks for replying I now have an answer If you use the formula v = √(2gs)
where v is the velocity g is the acceleration due to gravity and s is the distance fallen then it comes out to be 4.429m/s...

Hi Alcape! :smile:
Alcape said:
Thanks for replying I now have an answer If you use the formula v = √(2gs)
where v is the velocity g is the acceleration due to gravity and s is the distance fallen then it comes out to be 4.429m/s...

Yes, that's a possible answer …

but I suspect when the question says "turning speed", it means angular speed (for which you'd need to know the radius). :redface:

(and if that is the right answer, why is the question so complicated … why is it about a carousel? :confused:)

I don't know why it's so complicated I didn't make it

Related to How Fast Can a Carousel Spin Safely for Toddlers?

1. What is the physics behind a carousel?

The physics behind a carousel involves rotational motion, centripetal force, and angular velocity. As the carousel spins, objects on it experience a centrifugal force pulling them outward, while the centripetal force keeps them moving in a circular path. The angular velocity, or speed of rotation, determines the strength of these forces.

2. How does the weight of riders affect the carousel's motion?

The weight of riders does not significantly affect the carousel's motion. The centripetal force needed to keep the riders moving in a circular path is provided by the structure of the carousel, not their weight. However, the weight distribution of the riders can affect the balance and stability of the carousel.

3. Why do riders feel a force pushing them outward on a carousel?

This force is known as the centrifugal force and is a result of the riders' inertia. As the carousel spins, the riders' bodies want to continue moving in a straight line, but the structure of the carousel forces them to move in a circular path. This causes them to feel a force pushing them outward.

4. How does the radius of the carousel affect its motion?

The radius of the carousel affects its motion by determining the speed of rotation and the strength of the forces acting on the riders. A larger radius means a greater distance to travel in one rotation, resulting in a higher angular velocity and stronger forces. Conversely, a smaller radius means a lower angular velocity and weaker forces.

5. What happens if the carousel spins too fast?

If the carousel spins too fast, the centrifugal force experienced by the riders can become dangerous. This can cause riders to be thrown off the carousel or experience motion sickness. Additionally, the structure of the carousel may not be able to handle the stress of high speeds, leading to mechanical failure.