How Far Apart Are the Rays of Red and Violet Light When Exiting Flint Glass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dispersion of white light in a 4.0-cm-thick slab of flint glass, with a focus on finding the refractive index of the glass for different wavelengths of light. It is determined that the refractive index varies for different colors, with blue having a higher index than red. Thus, using Snell's Law, the refractive index for deep blue and deep red are found to be 1.59 and 1.54 respectively.
doverdt75
A ray of white light strikes the surface of a 4.0-cm-thick slab of flint glass as shown in the figure. As the ray enters the glass, it is dispersed into its constituent colors. Estimate how far apart the rays of deepest red and deepest violet light are as they exit the bottom surface. the light is going into the glass at a 60 degree angle... have been working on this one all night just do not know how to begin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

First, dispersion occurs because the glass's refractive index is different for red light than for blue light. The first thing you need to know, then, is glass's refractive index at both ends of the visible spectrum.

the deepest red is 700nm and the deepest violet is 400nm

doverdt75 said:
the deepest red is 700nm and the deepest violet is 400nm

That is true, but what is the index of refraction for flint glass corresponding to these wavelengths?

flint Glass has a refraction index of 1.66
Should I be using Snell's Law

Yes, you should be using Snell's Law, but first you need to understand that the refractive index depends on the wavelength. That's what causes dispersion, the splitting of white light into its constituent wavelengths. The value of 1.66 that you found must be some kind of average. You need to find two values of the refractive index, one for 700 nm and another one for 400 nm. Then use Snell's Law for each wavelength separately.

So I cannot just use 1.66 for both of the numbers
I do not understand what I am supposed to be looking for...
I was thinking v=c/n with c= 3.00*10^8... and n=1.66...?

Last edited by a moderator:

No you cannot use 1.66 for both. The index of refraction depends on the wavelength of the light. It is only an approximation to say that it is constant. Blue light going from air to glass at an angle bends more than red light incident at the same angle. This means that the index of refraction for blue light is higher than for red light. It is true that v = c/n, but v(blue) < v (red) because n(blue) > n(red). You are supposed to be looking for n(blue = 400 nm) and n(red = 700 nm) in flint glass.

ok so i found out that deep blue is 1.59 and deep red is 1.54... unsure where to go from there

Use Snell's Law.

Related to How Far Apart Are the Rays of Red and Violet Light When Exiting Flint Glass?

What is white light?

White light is a combination of all the visible colors in the electromagnetic spectrum, including red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

What is white light dispersion?

White light dispersion is the process of separating white light into its component colors, also known as the visible spectrum, through the use of a prism or other refractive materials.

How does white light dispersion occur?

White light dispersion occurs when white light enters a medium with varying refractive indexes, causing the different colors to bend at different angles and separate.

What is the difference between white light dispersion and white light refraction?

White light dispersion and refraction are closely related, but they are not the same. Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium, while dispersion is the separation of light into its component colors during the refraction process.

What are the applications of white light dispersion?

White light dispersion has many practical applications, including in spectroscopy, optical instruments, and photography. It is also used in the study of rainbows and other natural phenomena.