Ray tracing diagram for white light moving through glass

In summary: Thanks everyone!Or if you're an old-timer, just picture the album cover from Dark Side Of The Moon -- and remember that red is the top... :)
phosgene

Homework Statement

White light is incident on a sheet of glass as shown below. Complete the ray tracing diagram.

physicsdiagram.jpg

Homework Equations

n1(sinx)=n2(siny), where n = the refractive index of the medium.

The Attempt at a Solution

The ray on the bottom is hitting the glass at 90 degree angles, so it should just go straight through, right? Whilst the top one is hitting part of the glass at an angle, so it should first be defracted downwards, and then upwards again when it exits the glass. Is that all I need to draw in there, or is there something else that I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
phosgene said:

Homework Statement

White light is incident on a sheet of glass as shown below. Complete the ray tracing diagram.

physicsdiagram.jpg

Homework Equations

n1(sinx)=n2(siny), where n = the refractive index of the medium.

The Attempt at a Solution

The ray on the bottom is hitting the glass at 90 degree angles, so it should just go straight through, right? Whilst the top one is hitting part of the glass at an angle, so it should first be defracted downwards, and then upwards again when it exits the glass. Is that all I need to draw in there, or is there something else that I'm missing?
The correct word is 'refracted'.

The top beam is refracted towards the normal in going from air to glass. How about from glass to air?

SammyS said:
The correct word is 'refracted'.

The top beam is refracted towards the normal in going from air to glass. How about from glass to air?

Hmm, when it exits the glass, it would be refracted downwards again, wouldn't it?

SammyS said:

phosgene said:
Hmm, when it exits the glass, it would be refracted downwards again, wouldn't it?
What is the reason for thinking that? I.e., with respect to the normal in what direction (away from or towards the normal?) would it be refracted, in going from glass to air?

Redbelly98 said:
What is the reason for thinking that? I.e., with respect to the normal in what direction (away from or towards the normal?) would it be refracted, in going from glass to air?

Since the refractive index of glass is higher than that of air, the angle of refraction will be higher than the angle of incidence. And for that to happen, the ray would have to move downwards. Is this correct?

phosgene said:
Since the refractive index of glass is higher than that of air, the angle of refraction will be higher than the angle of incidence. And for that to happen, the ray would have to move downwards. Is this correct?

Yes - but better to say deflected down rather than move down.

The lead of your question referred specifically to white light. I wonder if you were supposed to show the formation of a spectrum due to dispersion?

phosgene said:
Yes. (I just wanted to make sure you had the reasoning in mind -- it's easy to guess when there are just two choices, and other people are questioning your first answer :smile:)

PeterO makes a good point -- it's better to say "refracted downward" (as you had earlier) or deflected downward.

Last edited:
PeterO said:
Yes - but better to say deflected down rather than move down.

The lead of your question referred specifically to white light. I wonder if you were supposed to show the formation of a spectrum due to dispersion?

I get confused with all the different words in optics. Thanks for the correction :) And I'm not sure, I was wondering this myself, but the textbook I'm using doesn't go into that much, so I'm assuming that it's not necessary.

Thanks everyone!

phosgene said:
I get confused with all the different words in optics. Thanks for the correction :) And I'm not sure, I was wondering this myself, but the textbook I'm using doesn't go into that much, so I'm assuming that it's not necessary.

Thanks everyone!

In case you do need to consider dispersion - a good key for the two ends of the spectrum is

Red - rare
Violet - violent

The red rarely moves - meaning, it is deflected the least
The violet moves violently - meaning it is deflected the most.

Peter

phosgene said:
Thanks everyone!
You're welcome!
PeterO said:
In case you do need to consider dispersion - a good key for the two ends of the spectrum is

Red - rare
Violet - violent

Peter
Or if you're an old-timer, just picture the album cover from Dark Side Of The Moon -- and remember that red is the top ray.

cover_2213172112008.JPG

PeterO said:

Red - rare
Violet - violent

Peter

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :)

Related to Ray tracing diagram for white light moving through glass

What is a ray tracing diagram?

A ray tracing diagram is a visual representation of the path that light takes as it travels through a medium, such as glass. It shows the direction and location of the light rays as they interact with the medium.

How does white light behave when it moves through glass?

White light is made up of a spectrum of colors, each with a different wavelength. As it passes through glass, the different wavelengths are refracted or bent at different angles, causing the light to separate into its individual colors.

Why does white light separate into different colors when it goes through glass?

This separation of colors is due to the phenomenon of dispersion, which is caused by the different wavelengths of light traveling at different speeds through the glass. The longer wavelengths (such as red) travel slower and are bent less, while the shorter wavelengths (such as blue) travel faster and are bent more.

What is the purpose of a ray tracing diagram for white light moving through glass?

A ray tracing diagram helps us understand how light behaves as it moves through a medium, and specifically how white light is separated into its component colors. It is a useful tool for studying the properties of light and the principles of optics.

How can we use a ray tracing diagram to predict the behavior of light in other situations?

By understanding how light behaves in one medium, such as glass, we can use a ray tracing diagram to predict its behavior in other situations. This can help us design and improve optical devices, such as lenses and prisms, and also aid in the study of phenomena such as rainbows and mirages.