Michelson Interferometer homework

In summary, this conversation discusses the use of a Michelson interferometer with monochromatic light of wavelength 589 nm in a vacuum. A parallel-sided object with a length of 1.2 cm and a refractive index of 1.4900 is placed between the fixed mirror and beam splitter. The optical path length of the interposed material is calculated to be 0.01788m and the wavelength of the light in the material is 395nm. The change in the optical path length of the fixed arm is not yet determined, but may use the formula Optical path difference = 2L1 - 2L2. To ensure that both arms have the same optical path length, a parallel-sided object with a refr
Ruth_1392

Homework Statement

1. A Michelson interferometer is operated in a vacuum, using monochromatic
light of wavelength 589 nm. The interferometer is set up so that the distances
between the moving mirror and the beam splitter and the fixed mirror and the
beam splitter are equal. A parallel-sided object 1.2 cm in length and refractive
index 1.4900 is then placed between the fixed mirror and the beam splitter.
i. Calculate the optical path length of the interposed material.
ii. What is the wavelength of the light in the interposed material?
iii. What is the change in the optical path length of the fixed arm that results?
iv. What would be the required dimension of a parallel-sided object of refractive
index 1.6618 placed between the moving mirror and the beam splitter to
ensure that both arms had the same optical path length?

Homework Equations

optical path length= distance traveled in medium x refractive index

λ1 = λ0 / refractive index

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done parts i) and ii) I got 0.01788m for i) and 395nm for ii). I'm not sure about parts iii) and iv), I think that part iii) uses the answer for part ii) but I don't know how. I found in my notes that Optical path difference = 2L1 - 2L2 but I'm not sure if it's useful and also I don't know the values for L. With part iv) I think I would use optical path length= distance traveled in medium x refractive index using the value for iii) and the refractive index given.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is correct or how to do the calculation.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Related to Michelson Interferometer homework

What is a Michelson Interferometer?

A Michelson Interferometer is an optical instrument used to measure the interference of light waves. It consists of a beam splitter, two mirrors, and a detector. It is commonly used in scientific experiments to measure very small changes in distance or wavelength.

How does a Michelson Interferometer work?

The Michelson Interferometer works by splitting a beam of light into two beams using a beam splitter. These beams then travel to two mirrors, where they are reflected back towards the beam splitter. The beams are then recombined and the interference pattern is detected by a detector. Changes in the path length of one of the beams will result in a shift in the interference pattern.

What are the applications of a Michelson Interferometer?

A Michelson Interferometer has various applications in science and technology. It is commonly used in optics and astronomy to measure small changes in distance and wavelength. It is also used in the field of spectroscopy to analyze the spectral composition of a light source. Other applications include measuring the refractive index of materials, testing the stability of laser sources, and detecting gravitational waves.

What is the difference between a Michelson Interferometer and a Fabry-Perot Interferometer?

Both Michelson Interferometer and Fabry-Perot Interferometer are optical instruments used to measure interference patterns. However, the main difference between the two is that a Michelson Interferometer uses a beam splitter to create two beams, while a Fabry-Perot Interferometer uses multiple parallel mirrors to create multiple beams. Additionally, a Michelson Interferometer can measure changes in distance and wavelength, while a Fabry-Perot Interferometer is mainly used for measuring the wavelength of light.

How do I solve homework problems involving a Michelson Interferometer?

To solve homework problems involving a Michelson Interferometer, you should first familiarize yourself with the basic principles and equations related to the instrument. Then, carefully read and understand the given problem and identify what information is provided and what is being asked. Finally, use the relevant equations and principles to solve the problem step by step, making sure to show all your work and use proper units.