How Do You Solve Complex Third Order Differential Equations?

• Thread starter Clemfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary: The third problem is similar to problem 2, but with a different equation. I solved for the eigenvalues and got +-i. Then I used the homogenous equation to find the particular solution.That's right … use 1 and ±i to find the general solution to the homogenous equation.Thanks for the help, guys!Welcome to PF! In summary, these extra credit challenge problems are given in my diff. equ. class, and I am in a bit of a rush to figure them out. I tried a few things, but I get lost toward the end. Any help for #1 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help, guys!
Clemfan
Hey all,
These are extra credit challenge problems given in my diff. equ. class, and I am in a bit of a rush to figure them out. I tried a few things, but I get lost toward the end.

Here are the problems:

1)
y'''-y''+y'-y=4sin(x)

I did long division with the homogenous equation to find the eigenvalues: 1 , +-i
I am a bit confused as to where to go from there. I need to solve to the particular and homogenous solutions and then add the two to have the general solution, because that is the method we have been working on.

Any help for #1?

2)
IVP y''+y=sec^2(x), y(0)=-1, y'(0)=0

I found eigenvalues of +-i, and got the homogenous solution of C1sin(x)+C2cos(x). Is that correct? How do you solve for the particular solution?

Thanks for the help guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hey Clemfan ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Clemfan said:
y'''-y''+y'-y=4sin(x)

I did long division with the homogenous equation to find the eigenvalues: 1 , +-i
I am a bit confused as to where to go from there. I need to solve to the particular and homogenous solutions and then add the two to have the general solution, because that is the method we have been working on.

That's right … use 1 and ±i to find the general solution to the homogenous equation.

For a particular solution, start by trying a trig function.

What do you get? :smile:
y''+y=sec^2(x), y(0)=-1, y'(0)=0

I found eigenvalues of +-i, and got the homogenous solution of C1sin(x)+C2cos(x). Is that correct? How do you solve for the particular solution?

Yes, your general solution to the homogenous equation is correct.

Again, try a trig function.

MATLAB gave me this.

I wouldn't blindly submit the answers from MATLAB to your teacher - he is going to wonder where they came from. At least we will have a target to aim for though.

[tex]-(1+t)sin(t)+tcos(t)+c_1exp(t)+c_2sin(t)+c_3cos(t)[/tex]

[tex]sin(t)log((1+sin(t))/cos(t))-1[/tex]

I am pretty sure the solution method for problem 1 is to find the characteristic and particular solutions and add them together.

The second problem is trickier.

edit: I hope no one thinks I'm lame for using a CAS :(

I think I typed in the first equation wrong.

Sorry :(

Matlab gives this now.

[tex]\cos\!\left(t\right)\, \left(t + \frac{\cos\!\left(2\, t\right)}{2} - \frac{\sin\!\left(2\, t\right)}{2} - \frac{1}{2}\right) - \sin\!\left(t\right) - \cos\!\left(t\right) - \sin\!\left(t\right)\, \left(t - \frac{\cos\!\left(2\, t\right)}{2} - \frac{\sin\!\left(2\, t\right)}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\right) + \mathrm{c_1}\, \cos\!\left(t\right) + \mathrm{c_2}\, \mathrm{e}^{t} + \mathrm{c_3}\, \sin\!\left(t\right)[/tex]

Related to How Do You Solve Complex Third Order Differential Equations?

1. What is meant by "3rd DE" in science?

"3rd DE" stands for "third differential equation," which refers to a type of mathematical equation used in physics and other scientific fields to describe the behavior of a system over time. It is a differential equation that involves a third derivative of a function.

2. How is a 3rd DE different from a 1st or 2nd DE?

A 3rd DE is different from a 1st or 2nd DE in that it includes a third derivative, whereas a 1st DE only includes a first derivative and a 2nd DE includes a second derivative. This means that a 3rd DE is more complex and can describe more complex systems than 1st or 2nd DEs.

3. What are some real-world applications of 3rd DEs?

3rd DEs are used in a variety of scientific fields to model and understand complex systems. Some examples of real-world applications include modeling the growth of populations, describing the behavior of electrical circuits, and studying the motion of objects in space.

4. How are 3rd DEs solved?

Solving a 3rd DE involves finding the function that satisfies the equation. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, and variation of parameters. It can also be solved numerically using computer software.

5. What are some challenges of working with 3rd DEs?

One of the main challenges of working with 3rd DEs is that they can be difficult to solve analytically and may require advanced mathematical techniques. They also often involve complex systems with many variables, making it challenging to model and understand the behavior of the system accurately.