How Can I Maintain Interest and Improve My Understanding of Probability?

In summary, the individual is seeking strategies and books to help them gain a deeper understanding of probability. They have tried two books, but neither could hold their interest. The individual currently has knowledge of basic probability concepts and is looking for recommendations for books. The conversation also includes suggestions for online lectures and free resources, and tips for staying motivated such as solving problems, discussing in groups, and teaching others.
Maths Absorber
I want to have a deep understanding of probability.

I've tried William Feller's first book on Probability, and E.T Jaynes' Probability theory - the logic of science (which is very different from most probability books.)
But, neither books could hold my interest for long. The first was too boring. The second was too tough to understand.

Please suggest some strategies and books that can help me.

As far as the level of my current knowledge goes, I know basic combinatorial probability, conditional probability, Bayesian probability, binomial, Poisson and Normal distribution. I only know how to apply the normal distribution, not how to derive it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I used Walpole, Myers, Myers, & Ye 7th ed. to learn these topics. Newer editions are available pretty inexpensively, and it might be a decent introduction for you. It assumes the reader to have a good background in calculus, which is required for deriving and applying the normal distribution.

Calculus is required to understand and apply most continuous probability distributions and applications, actually.

Realistically, though, before you buy any more books, I encourage you to watch some online lectures, and start to do problems out of the books you have. When you run into difficulties, ask questions in the Homework and Coursework Questions sub-forum here.

Likes CalcNerd
The Best Beginners book:
Probability: For the Enthusiastic Beginner
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1?ie=UTF8&text=David+J.+Morin&search-alias=books&field-author=David+J.+Morin&sort=relevancerank&tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1523318678/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I also like
The Probability Tutoring Book: An Intuitive Course for Engineers and Scientists (and Everyone Else!)
Carol Ash

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0780310519/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Free options on to check out before purchasing something,

Matloff. From Algorithms to Z-Scores. http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/matloff/public_html/probstatbook.html
Grinsted & Snell. Introduction to Probability. https://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/teaching_aids/books_articles/probability_book/amsbook.mac.pdf

I haven't read these since I first studied the subject in school (course used Ross' First Course in Probability and another using Casella & Berger's Statistical Inference where the first half is probability). The first would be more interesting to a computer scientist such as myself. I'm thinking of reading portions of the book for review when I have the time. The second is more standard and I've seen recommended elsewhere.

Can you tell me some ways to stay motivated ? The problem is I'm getting bored and losing interest very fast.

Maths Absorber said:
Can you tell me some ways to stay motivated ? The problem is I'm getting bored and losing interest very fast.
Solve Problems. Discuss in groups. Teach someone what you learn.

What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is usually expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

Why is probability important?

Probability allows us to make predictions and analyze data in many fields, including science, economics, and sports. It also helps us make informed decisions and evaluate risk.

How can I apply probability in real life?

Probability can be applied in many everyday situations, such as making decisions based on weather forecasts, predicting the outcome of sports games, or calculating the chances of winning a lottery. It can also be used in fields like finance to manage risk and make investments.

What are the different types of probability?

The three main types of probability are theoretical, empirical, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical principles and assumes all outcomes are equally likely. Empirical probability is based on observed data and is used to make predictions. Subjective probability is based on personal beliefs and opinions.

How can I improve my understanding of probability?

To improve your understanding of probability, you can practice solving problems and using different probability concepts. It can also be helpful to read books or take courses on the subject. Additionally, actively seeking out real-life examples of probability and applying it to different scenarios can also enhance your understanding.