Has anyone read "Willful Ignorance" by Herbert Weisberg?

In summary: I'll be ordering a copy soon.In summary, this book is about Bayesian statistics and how it has helped to propel scientific research in the past, but there are some limitations to current methods that threaten further advances.
UsableThought
(To any passing moderator: Feel free to move this to "statistics" forum if you feel that would be more appropriate.)

Although my "to read" list is already too long, I have lately been getting increasingly interested in learning the basics of conditional probability, including Bayesian analysis. My proposed introductory reading consists of a Dover re-issuing of an old but decent book, Introduction to Probability by John E. Freund, most of which I had previously studied many years ago when I was learning classic probability; the probability & statistics sections of a recent book on critical thinking, Weaponized Lies, by Daniel J. Levitin; and two "Very Short Introduction" books that touch on conditional probability, Philosophy of Science and Risk.

However in looking for additional beginner books on Bayes, I came across a 2014 book from Wiley called Willful Ignorance: The Mismeasure of Uncertainty, by Herbert I. Weisberg, who is identified as a statistician, author, and consultant; also as "Founder of Causalytics, LLC, which develops innovative technology for predictive analytics for both medical research and business applications." The book's premise looks fascinating. I searched for reviews online and only found two, both quite positive: http://citizen-statistician.org/2015/05/28/willful-ignorance-book-review/ from a blog on understanding statistics and this from Computing Reviews, an industry web site. I then searched PF for the title and author's last name; alas "no results found."

So if anyone has read it, I'd be interested in your take. I am probably going to order a trial copy & send it back if I find it's completely over my head, or possibly keep it if it's only partly over my head.. Here is from the blurb on Wiley's page for the book:

Through a series of colorful stories about great thinkers and the problems they chose to solve, the author traces the historical evolution of probability and explains how statistical methods have helped to propel scientific research. However, the past success of statistics has depended on vast, deliberate simplifications amounting to willful ignorance, and this very success now threatens future advances in medicine, the social sciences, and other fields. Limitations of existing methods result in frequent reversals of scientific findings and recommendations, to the consternation of both scientists and the lay public.

Willful Ignorance: The Mismeasure of Uncertainty exposes the fallacy of regarding probability as the full measure of our uncertainty . . . The author outlines a path toward the re-engineering of data analysis to help close these gaps and accelerate scientific discovery . . . especially pertinent for professionals in statistics and related fields, including practicing and research clinicians, biomedical and social science researchers, business leaders, and policy-makers.​

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
I found a couple of reviews online:

Yes, those were the reviews I mentioned.

Here is an additional positive review by Stephen Few, a statistician and consultant/entrepreneur specializing in data visualization and business intelligence.

http://www.perceptualedge.com/blog/?p=2295

A mention of this book can also be found among the comments section of Columbia University statistics professor Andrew Gelman's blog (who, as you can probably figure out, has been a long-time proponent of Bayesian inference and Bayesian statistics):

http://andrewgelman.com/2016/03/02/...pothesis-significance-testing/#comment-264832

Likes UsableThought
StatGuy2000 said:
Here is an additional positive review by Stephen Few, a statistician and consultant/entrepreneur specializing in data visualization and business intelligence.

Thanks for that review, I hadn't seen that.

What is "Willful Ignorance" by Herbert Weisberg?

"Willful Ignorance" is a book written by Herbert Weisberg, a political scientist and professor at The Ohio State University. The book discusses the concept of willful ignorance, which refers to the deliberate choice to remain uninformed or ignorant about certain topics or issues.

What is the main argument in "Willful Ignorance"?

The main argument of "Willful Ignorance" is that people often choose to remain ignorant about certain topics or issues because it aligns with their existing beliefs and biases. This can have significant impacts on decision-making and policy-making processes.

What evidence does Weisberg use to support his argument?

Weisberg draws on a wide range of research and studies from various fields such as psychology, sociology, and political science. He also includes real-life examples and case studies to illustrate the concept of willful ignorance and its effects.

Who is the intended audience for "Willful Ignorance"?

The book is intended for a general audience interested in understanding the phenomenon of willful ignorance and its implications. It may also be of interest to policymakers, researchers, and anyone interested in human behavior and decision-making.

What are some potential criticisms of "Willful Ignorance"?

Some potential criticisms of "Willful Ignorance" may include the lack of diversity in the examples and studies used, as well as the potential oversimplification of the concept of willful ignorance. Additionally, some may argue that the book does not offer concrete solutions to addressing the issue of willful ignorance.