How can I accurately measure force using a pressure sensor?

In summary, Kasper is trying to create an insole/shoe that can measure the force applied through a step. He is unsure about how the pressure will be in the tube, so he is looking into article about Piezoelectric Film Sensors.
Kasper86
Hi guys
I hope you can help me a bit to understand a problem.

I want to build a prototype of an insole/shoe which can meassure the force applied through a step.

I´m thinking of placing a small rubber tube into the shoe, and then bending it smoothly a lot of times, so it will cover most of the insole.
Then I would hook it up with a pressure gauge like this: http://dk.rs-online.com/web/p/tryksensorer/7191055/ , and use Arduino to send my readings to Matlab.

But I´m not sure I understand how the pressure will be in the tube. I guess the pressure will be equal on every small area of the tube and therefore also the same at the meassuring point of the gauge?
Lets say that the inner diameter of the tube is 0.5inch^2, and the total force on the tube is 500N.
These pressure gauges have a limit around 50-100kPa, and my question is then, how would you calculate the pressure affecting the gauge - so I just don't buy the parts and ruin them.

If there is anything I´m missing, please let me know :)

Best regards - Kasper

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculating pressure from the geometry you've described would be difficult, because rubber expands with pressure as well. Your pressure vs. force curve would be a nonlinear curve and dependent on geometry and material properties of the tube. You may be better off designing a piston in the shoe which compresses; or alternatively you might be able to use a mechanical spring and measure its dimensional compression.

Thank your for your replies. I had not thougt of the rubber exspansion :(
I´ll will look into the article you have mentioned. Thank you :)

Related to How can I accurately measure force using a pressure sensor?

1. How does a pressure sensor work?

A pressure sensor works by converting physical force or pressure into an electrical signal. This is typically done through the use of a diaphragm or piezoelectric material that changes its electrical properties when subjected to pressure. The resulting electrical signal can then be measured and interpreted to determine the amount of pressure applied.

2. What types of pressure can a pressure sensor measure?

A pressure sensor can measure a wide range of pressures, from very low pressures (such as atmospheric pressure) to very high pressures (such as those found in hydraulic systems). Some pressure sensors are also designed to measure specific types of pressure, such as differential pressure or absolute pressure.

3. What are the common applications of pressure sensors?

Pressure sensors have a wide range of applications, including in automotive systems, industrial machinery, medical devices, and consumer electronics. They are commonly used to monitor and control pressure in various systems, as well as for safety and performance purposes.

4. How accurate are pressure sensors?

The accuracy of a pressure sensor depends on various factors, such as the type of sensor, the range of pressure being measured, and the environmental conditions. Generally, pressure sensors have a high level of accuracy and can be calibrated to ensure precise measurements.

5. Can a pressure sensor be used in harsh environments?

Yes, there are pressure sensors specifically designed to withstand harsh environments, such as extreme temperatures, high levels of vibration, and exposure to corrosive materials. These sensors are often used in industrial and aerospace applications where durability and reliability are crucial.