Homogeneous, linear, first-order, ordinary differential equation mistake

In summary, the two solutions are different because the textbook uses a different substitution for $z$.
kalish1
I am trying to solve a homogeneous, first-order, linear, ordinary differential equation but am running into what I am sure is the wrong answer. However I can't identify what is wrong with my working?!

$$\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-x+y}{x+y}=\frac{1-\frac{x}{y}}{1+\frac{x}{y}}.$$ Let $z=x/y$, so that $y=x/z$ and $$\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{z-x\frac{dz}{dx}}{z^2}=\frac{1-z}{1+z}.$$ Then $z-x\frac{dz}{dx}=\frac{z^2-z^3}{1+z} \implies -x\frac{dz}{dx}=-\frac{z^3+z}{z+1} \implies \frac{dx}{x}=\frac{dz}{z^2+1} \implies \arctan(z)=\ln(|x|)+C \implies z=\tan(\ln(|x|)+C)$

Thus $$y = \frac{x}{\tan(\ln(|x|)+C)}$$.

However, my book: *A Modern Introduction to Differential Equations 2nd edition by Henry Ricardo* says "this first-order equation is homogeneous and can be solved implicitly".

They pursued the method of letting $z=y/x$ and obtained the solution as
$$2\arctan(y/x)+\ln(x^2+y^2)-C=0.$$

Why are the two different substitutions, which should both be suitable, giving me two different answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Homogenous, linear, first-order, ordinary differential equation mistake

kalish said:
They pursued the method of letting $z=y/x$ and obtained the solution as

Using this substitution is better because differentiation becomes easier

\(\displaystyle y=zx \,\,\to \,\, \frac{dy}{dx}= z+x \frac{dz}{dx}\)

Re: Homogenous, linear, first-order, ordinary differential equation mistake

I am with you up to this point (where I have negated both sides):

\(\displaystyle x\frac{dz}{dx}=\frac{z^3+z}{z+1}\)

However, when you separated variables, you should get:

\(\displaystyle \frac{z+1}{z^3+z}\,dz=\frac{1}{x}\,dx\)

Using partial fractions, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{z^2+1}-\frac{z}{z^2+1}+\frac{1}{z} \right)\,dz=\frac{1}{x}\,dx\)

This will lead you to a solution that differs from that given by your textbook by only a constant, which can then be "absorbed" by the constant of integration if you desire to get it in the same form.

Related to Homogeneous, linear, first-order, ordinary differential equation mistake

1. What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is one in which all terms contain the dependent variable and its derivatives, and there are no constant terms. In other words, the equation is made up entirely of functions of the dependent variable and its derivatives.

2. What does it mean for a differential equation to be linear?

A linear differential equation is one in which the dependent variable and its derivatives appear in a linear manner, meaning they are raised to the first power and are not multiplied or divided by each other. Additionally, the coefficients of these terms are constants.

3. What is a first-order differential equation?

A first-order differential equation is one in which the highest derivative of the dependent variable is to the first power. In other words, the equation contains only first derivatives, not second or higher derivatives.

4. What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation is a differential equation that contains only one independent variable. This is in contrast to a partial differential equation, which contains multiple independent variables.

5. What is a common mistake in solving first-order linear homogeneous ODEs?

A common mistake is forgetting to include the constant of integration when integrating the equation. This can result in an incorrect solution or an incomplete solution that does not satisfy the initial conditions. It is important to always remember to include the constant of integration when solving ODEs.