Help with a differential equation

In summary, the problem is to find a solution to the one-dimensional equation -d/dx [a(x) du/dx] = p(x) with the boundaries u(0) = 0 and u(1) = 0. The given values for a(x) and p(x) are both equal to 1. The approach to solving this problem is to first find a general solution to the equation and then insert the given boundary conditions. However, it may not be possible to obtain a closed form expression for the general solution.
ElvenVeil

Homework Statement

Hello

I am new to this forum, but I hope I can get help with a problem I haven't been able to figure out what to do with.

info:

we have a one dimensional equation -d/dx [a(x) du/dx] = p(x)

where we seek a solution u(x) where x is within [0,1] , that satisfies the 2 boundary conditions u(0) = 0, u(1) = 0

p and a is given by a(x) = 1 and p(x) = 1

any help with this problem would be very nice. On beforehand thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought was to first find a general solution to the equation and then insert the conditions given. I have a hard time finding a general solution to the equation (-d/dx [a(x) du/dx] = p(x) ) so I feel a little stuck on how to approach it.

Physics news on Phys.org
ElvenVeil said:
p and a is given by a(x) = 1 and p(x) = 1
Erm...just use this? I don't think it is possible to obtain a closed form expression for the general solution for arbitrary a(x) and p(x).

The general solution is very difficult- although I think it can be done in terms of
[tex]u(x)= -\int_x^1\frac{1}{a(u)}\int_0^u p(t)dt du[/tex]

But you are give that a(x)= 1 and p(x)= 1 so the problem is to solve [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= -1[/itex] which can be done by two simple integrations.

Related to Help with a differential equation

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function, to model real-world phenomena.

2. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find a function that satisfies the given equation and represents the behavior of a system over time. It allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of natural phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion.

3. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some common methods include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using power series or Laplace transforms. It is important to identify the type of differential equation and choose the appropriate method for solving it.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. They are used to model and analyze complex systems, predict future behavior, and make informed decisions.

5. Can I use a computer to solve a differential equation?

Yes, there are various software and programming languages that can be used to solve differential equations, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python. These tools can handle complex equations and provide numerical or analytical solutions, making it easier and more efficient to solve differential equations.